Extreme temperatures effect on scanner left in car

Status
Not open for further replies.

jadant

Premium Subscriber
Hi all,

I was wondering if there is the potential for damage if you leave your handheld scanner in the car during extreme heat of North Carolina in the summer same question for cold but less often in North Carolina. Just wondering trying to not damage the scanner. They are expensive these days.

Jared

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Cold is not an issue. Heat might be, but probably not.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
LCD displays can become sluggish if they are cold. A possible problem bringing an electronic device into a warm house from a cold car is condensation inside the device, causing a short.

DennisKink

I left my iPhone in the car overnight in 14 degree weather and it destroyed it.I wouldn't recommend leaving a scanner in a car in any weather.Also you might be inviting thievery.

bob550

Premium Subscriber
Just a theory, but the extreme heat may cause an already weak solder joint to fail. On the other hand, your car radio does just fine. I certainly wouldn't leave it in direct sunlight, however.

ILjim

Premium Subscriber
If you're concerned about extreme tempatures then I would suggest either getting an insulated bag (like a lunch bag) to put your scanner(s) inside to provide some protection or you can always take your radio with you to be on the safe side. Universal Radio has one that may fit your purpose (https://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/scanners/53310436.html). Also, as someone mentioned, it's a great idea to store your scanner out of plain view to not attract any theives.

bob550

Premium Subscriber
You also have to consider the detrimental effect of heat on batteries, either rechargeable or alkaline's.

simmsrep

Premium Subscriber
I've always left mine in the car while at work but I do put it under the seat to make sure it is not in direct sunlight. Done this for years and never had any problems.

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
Can't speak to heat too much, but have noticed that when we do get hot weather, the displays will often blacken out or nearly. Same as when we get cold the display with be darkened and sluggish. Never lost a hand held scanner nor radio bringing a cold radio inside. But of course everyone's experience may vary.

K7MFC

WRAA720
Phoenix, Arizona checking in - the authority on extreme heat! In the summer it can get up to 140 degrees inside my truck when parked in the sun. I've never had an issue with any of my radios or other electronics failing as a result. It definitely wouldn't hurt to leave handhelds and cell phones and such out of direct sunlight (and view of potential thieves).

8iW6ith.png

Last edited:

wtp

Florida here

i too have had the black display thing happen.
it usually took a couple of minutes to cool down, to where i could read them.
this happened more than once and they worked fine.
i think it was hot enough to re-solder the joints !
radios were never in the direct sun.

spacellamaman

If you're concerned about extreme tempatures then I would suggest either getting an insulated bag (like a lunch bag) to put your scanner(s) inside to provide some protection or you can always take your radio with you to be on the safe side. Universal Radio has one that may fit your purpose (https://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/scanners/53310436.html). Also, as someone mentioned, it's a great idea to store your scanner out of plain view to not attract any theives.

I would like to ditto the above advice. as a fellow north carolinian, i used to be much more carefree about leaving stuff in the car, but often the things that screw up aren't what you would be counting on. ie: metal detector in back window, no prob. warps interior screen and scale label so bad it jams the indicator needle in place. i have to remove the whole assemble and chop it all down to nubs.

nesting insulator bags , blankets etc, plus throwing in the truck can go a long ways. sometimes to take advantage of a car roof mount antenna overnight, in winter, without rigging up a power supply rats nest, and wanting to get as much time as possible overnight on a set of batts, thats exactly what i do. while thats not what you are directly asking about, an indication of how well that works is that the batts would last 30-50% longer before dying, so i in effect stabilized the temperature above freezing for quite a while longer.

i am much more scared of the heat though....warped lcd screens are what i always have nightmares over. $500 warped lcd screens. hasn't happened yet, but if it can, NC and august ought to do it.

SCPD

QRT
Every electronic device has rated ranges for temp top to bottom ranges. If it isn't covered in the basic owners manual you get a spec sheet or or contact the particular vendor of your device for ratings.

Lcds in direct light over time with heat the sun can cause damage that is irreversible though a lot times they once cooled down will be normal.

Bigger concern is theft in most cases on items visible or left in car particularly if you are seen in a lot stuffing something under seat or locking things in trunk. Criminals watch for this in problem areas knowing you will be away for while.

wbswetnam

Bigger concern is theft in most cases on items visible or left in car particularly if you are seen in a lot stuffing something under seat or locking things in trunk. Criminals watch for this in problem areas knowing you will be away for while.

I agree, tweakers have nothing better to do than scope out parking lots, sizing up potential targets.

Fast1eddie

All very good points, yet no one mentioned case warpage. I would also be concerned of portable battery issues. My experience with darkened displays is once cooled, they normally resume functionality with no issues, although one did state exception to that.

As crappy as my AOR mini can be, it's pocket friendly and works well for what expect of it's limitations.

Each to their own, but if my equipment is not properly installed, wired and mounted, I take it with me, or at the least, stash it under a seat, glove box, center console. Crack the windows a hair for some air circulation, I assume (hate that word) you park in a secured and well lit traveled pedestrian area.

While I have never had equipment stolen from my vehicle, I have incurred loss when sending equipment in for repair, such as a 8200 to AOR.

Good DX!

Status
Not open for further replies.