EZ SCAN for PSR800 Sorting?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeyC

I've purchased a PSR800 that hasn't arrived yet, and in the meantime I am trying to get my programming started with the EZ SCAN software and have successfully downloaded and re-tagged many of the talkgroups and conventional items I will want. What I want to do is reorder the talkgroups based on their channel designations on the systems I want but it appears that EZ SCAN downloads talkgroups in numerical order. Is there no way to reorder a talkgroups position in the programming? Dragging, holding shift up/down and right clicking (the methods I'm used to) don't do anything. If not this is a pretty significant flaw in this software, not to mention that the talkgroup number doesn't show in the Scanlists tab to help identify items that are poorly tagged in the RR database.

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
I've purchased a PSR800 that hasn't arrived yet, and in the meantime I am trying to get my programming started with the EZ SCAN software and have successfully downloaded and re-tagged many of the talkgroups and conventional items I will want. What I want to do is reorder the talkgroups based on their channel designations on the systems I want but it appears that EZ SCAN downloads talkgroups in numerical order. Is there no way to reorder a talkgroups position in the programming? Dragging, holding shift up/down and right clicking (the methods I'm used to) don't do anything. If not this is a pretty significant flaw in this software, not to mention that the talkgroup number doesn't show in the Scanlists tab to help identify items that are poorly tagged in the RR database.
In EZ-Scan open the Trunked Radio Systems tab. Click on desired system. Click on Talkgroup Details above talkgroup section. Click under Scanlist and assign each by scanlist. This sorts each by scanlist. E.g. PD to list 01, FD to list 02, EMS to list 03 etc.

rbrtklamp2

Premium Subscriber
Its just a big flaw in the software, and they wont release the the specifications for the software or radio for third party software makers like butel and starrsoft. I have opened a ticket up with gre requesting some of the features that where left out but every vote counts so please open a ticket with them too requesting that either the info be released or options and features added to there software either way something has gotta change.

Bob

JoeyC

In EZ-Scan open the Trunked Radio Systems tab. Click on desired system. Click on Talkgroup Details above talkgroup section. Click under Scanlist and assign each by scanlist. This sorts each by scanlist. E.g. PD to list 01, FD to list 02, EMS to list 03 etc.

I believe Bob is right in that they left out this feature. What I am trying to do is sort within a scanlist, not sort the scanlists. For instance, when:

TG 16 is Tac 1
and 64 is Tac 3
and 128 is Dispatch 2
and 592 is Dispatch 1
and 1616 is Tac 2

this is the order they download into the software - numerically.

I assume this is the way they will be presented in the scanner when scrolling through the scanlist. I want the tacs lined up in order in the scanner, and the way they have it now, you've got to go past tac 3 and dispatch 1 and 2 before getting to tac 2 when starting from tac 1. Big screw up on their part IMO.

JoeyC

Its just a big flaw in the software, and they wont release the the specifications for the software or radio for third party software makers like butel and starrsoft. I have opened a ticket up with gre requesting some of the features that where left out but every vote counts so please open a ticket with them too requesting that either the info be released or options and features added to there software either way something has gotta change.

Bob

Gladly. Do you have a link for opening a ticket?

JoeyC

Gee. Now that I've had a few minutes to play with this scanner, it looks like my original request is a moot point. There doesn't seem to be any simple way to pause on talkgroup and advance forward and backwards in the list of programmed items in manual mode. How lame is that? Or am I missing something?

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
Gee. Now that I've had a few minutes to play with this scanner, it looks like my original request is a moot point. There doesn't seem to be any simple way to pause on talkgroup and advance forward and backwards in the list of programmed items in manual mode. How lame is that? Or am I missing something?
Press SEL on TG then UP/DOWN to check other TG's.

Halfpint

Slightly NE of the People's Republic of Firestone
That adjusts the volume. It doesn't scroll thru the other talkgroups whether I am paused or in scan mode.

You have to go back to the main menu, go to `Browse Objects, Press the `Right Arrow' to find the `object' that has the Talk Groups you want to go through, then use the `Down Arrow' to scroll through the Talk Groups in that `object'. When you find the Talk Group you want to listen to then you press the `SEL' button.

As for the `sorting problem' I've been going around with them over that since they brought out the PSR-700. From the kind of response I've been getting it is pretty clear that while they make some danged good scanners there isn't anyone who actually uses one and understands what scannists `Need/Want' when they setup their scanners. (Unlike the 3rd party programmers.) Using the `Sort by Scanlist' sorting isn't all that great as it is only effective in the software and doesn't show up in the scanner but, until we can actually get it through to them it is all we have for now. {GRIMACE!}

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
Joey,
Press SEL on TG then LEFT then UP/DOWN to drill through other TG's

Halfpint,
I know exactly what I want and use Scanlist for.

JoeyC

With a lot of button pushing I'm slowwwwwly figuring out this thing. It is not so much an EZ SCAN scanner functionally, but I will admit its easy to program!
When it comes to listening to PD I like having in my scanlist all the dispatch tgs followed by the secondary tg (used for chit chat off the main) locked out. When I hear "switch to D2" and I am interested, I want to bring up D2 with as few button pushes as possible. I found that if you hit LEFT then DOWN (or UP) and SEL you can accomplish just this with just 3 keypresses. Too bad being in browser mode does not allow listening at the same time and eliminate the 3rd keypress for SEL. Also too bad, the software provided doesn't let you sort the tgs and channels to your liking - a very necessary feature for my purposes and a very poor oversight on the software developers part. Too bad again there isn't any 3rd party software for this scanner, which I am trying very hard to like! I definately believe that ragarding software shipped with scanners - he who writes this stuff definately does not use it otherwise these simple flaws would have been addressed and fixed by now. I'm sure I'm gonna find more too bads while learning this thing. :(

a388sig2

Ticket reply

I started a ticket asking about the ability to sort, copy, paste, etc...as you can do in third party software, and the response I received from GRE (very quickly I might add), was that the RadioReference dot com licensing agreement to use their data, restricts GRE from allowing access to third party developers and from copy/paste.

But even Win500 had you use your RR login, you'd figure GRE could have a similar deal.

Plus, with so much rebanding and splitting I'm finding a lot of the RadioReference data uploaded into the PSR-800 to be effectively worthless.

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
Plus, with so much rebanding and splitting I'm finding a lot of the RadioReference data uploaded into the PSR-800 to be effectively worthless.
I travel through 10 states and can keep my PSR-800 very effectively useful in each and every one of them. ;)

Gilligan

Database Admin
I have just discovered this PSR-800 scanner and am now learning the software with the hopes of getting one of these scanners soon. I, too, am amazed that there is no sort option for arranging talkgroups. Most other programs would give the ability to hold Control and then use the up/down arrows to rearrange channels. How sad that it's missing here. I'm also not crazy about the interface in general -- it appears to be very much just thrown together to provide something that works, instead of something that works well. That's the nice part about 3rd-party software -- developers have to work to keep their business. If GRE's attitude about this is that they don't need to implement necessary features like these, it speaks volumes about their desire to give the customer a satisfying product. I absolutely love this scanner, but I need to be able to customize the programming.

W2PMX

That's the nice part about 3rd-party software -- developers have to work to keep their business. If GRE's attitude about this is that they don't need to implement necessary features like these, it speaks volumes about their desire to give the customer a satisfying product. I absolutely love this scanner, but I need to be able to customize the programming.
GRE's not the only one. Hardware manufacturers sell hardware (and firmware). Most of them seem to throw together something that's "good enough" when it comes to software. (At least Uniden publishes enough data to make writing software for their scanners pretty trivial.)

Even software manufacturers fall into the same trap. Microsoft's "offerings" could use some user input too.

The only software that does exactly what you want it to do is the software you write yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.