EZScan for Whistler Scanners

Status
Not open for further replies.

dallenapd

For those frustrated trying to learn programming Whistler scanners using EZScan; This may help. After much "playing around" with this software I have come to these conclusions. #1- The software is what it says it is and it works. #2 - The main reason programmers have problems is in not knowing what the software wants and what is required. First of all you should have the latest version of software and all applicable updates. (Software updates are easily obtained through the EZScan app itself.) Familiarize yourself with the pull downs and understand their meaning. Don't try to read anything more into the pull downs and make them harder than they are. They mean exactly what they say and will accomplish this action for you. Second of all, start with a NEW configuration. Don't try to retread an old configuration. Although is is routinely done by veteran programmers, old configurations can hold hidden errors and "mistypes" that my prevent a smooth reprogramming. I personally chose to program the Mini SD card directly through the reader on the computer because it is faster, but you can also install the SD card in the scanner itself and use the programing cable. With the above in mind you are ready to start.

From the EZScan application the goal is to Prepare the SD card, Select a new configuration, chose empty VDAT folder and Import from library, then Upload to SD card. Install SD card into scanner and set scanlist and listen.

I'm using a Macbook Pro/Parallels running Windows 10 programing a Whistler WS1080

Wackyracer

Premium Subscriber
Good advice. Just to add USE the archive function, it backs up your "Configuration" aka: entire programming and settings. You will need it someday when you get the dreaded error codes starting with 3, You can also clone your configuration to another whistler scanner.

While i'm on the topic of error codes get familiar with windows error checking to fix your card and get a a spare SANDISK 8gb CLASS 4 card programmed as a spare. Amazon has them for under $7 shipped.

dallenapd

Good advice. Just to add USE the archive function, it backs up your "Configuration" aka: entire programming and settings. You will need it someday when you get the dreaded error codes starting with 3, You can also clone your configuration to another whistler scanner.

While i'm on the topic of error codes get familiar with windows error checking to fix your card and get a a spare SANDISK 8gb CLASS 4 card programmed as a spare. Amazon has them for under $7 shipped.
Thanks. Concur on your SD card assessment.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
Great advice for anyone being introduced to EZ Scan for the first time. I have found that the software is exactly what it purports to be, an EZ way to program your Whistler scanner. Once you learn it, how to navigate it, and how to customize it to your liking, it is in fact very EZ ;)

JD
kf4anc

Status
Not open for further replies.