Fairfax County Fire Automated Voice

Status
Not open for further replies.

rbuxton

Premium Subscriber
Listen to Coordination 7 talkgroup for automated voice dispatches of calls as they are broadcast by the dispatcher on TG 4A.

The real dispatcher is completing the calls quicker than the automated dispatcher. Simple math says emergency calls will be delayed during high call periods. And those high call periods happen several times a day.

Another note, there really is no need to have a slow and deliberate (automated) voice clearly enunciating each syllable of every word since call details are transmitted via the CAD system. Voice pagers are not used.

BoxAlarm187

Level 6 RR Member (Since 1998)
Premium Subscriber
Simple math says emergency calls will be delayed during high call periods. And those high call periods happen several times a day.

This is a common misconception. The advantage to the automated system is that it can dispatch up to 20 separate fire stations on 20 different calls at the exact same time. What you’re hearing going across Dispatch is not the same thing that the firehouses may be hearing at the exact same time (the firehouses are alerted via VOIP). Therefore, the chance of delayed dispatches is reduced to virtually nothing.

Another note, there really is no need to have a slow and deliberate (automated) voice clearly enunciating each syllable of every word since call details are transmitted via the CAD system.

Having slow, clear annunciation helps the firefighters when they’re away from the MDT doing pre-plans, training, or anything else where having the computer nearby isn’t practical.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

ts442k9

Premium Subscriber
[QUOTE="Simple math says emergency calls will be delayed during high call periods. And those high call periods happen several times a day.
[/QUOTE]

We have a similar system. Her name is Bionic Betty and she's is completely automated. When the call taker receives the call they enter the information, as soon as they click "save" on their screen it automatically tones us out via bionic betty. It doesn't give us much call information, however it does alert us that there's a call incoming. For example, it'll say "XX Fire Department, Station X, Unit X. Fire incident. 123 Main St." Or for medical calls, it'll say "XX Fire Department, Station X, Unit X. Medical incident. 345 South St." We are usually enroute by the time the actual tones go out. Dispatch will see that we're enroute via our MDC and give us the updated information or we can just read it off the screen.

N4VKF

Premium Subscriber
This is a common misconception. The advantage to the automated system is that it can dispatch up to 20 separate fire stations on 20 different calls at the exact same time. What you’re hearing going across Dispatch is not the same thing that the firehouses may be hearing at the exact same time (the firehouses are alerted via VOIP). Therefore, the chance of delayed dispatches is reduced to virtually nothing.

Having slow, clear annunciation helps the firefighters when they’re away from the MDT doing pre-plans, training, or anything else where having the computer nearby isn’t practical.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes I like the technolgy. As a former fire dispatcher i can tell you that fire dispatching is labor intensive. The more automation you can put into getting the call out the better. I worked in an agency that required a pre-alert dispatch and then setting off tones and repeating the call over the air. It can take a tone board a while to get through all those pager tones. I admit sometimes if i knew it was a working incident because of the information from the caller or possible entrapment in a house i would skip the pre-alert and drop the tones right away. I needed to get personnel and apparatus moving.

N4VKF

Premium Subscriber
It appears to be full time on 4A now with a simulcast on the TG12. I am not sure if the trunking system created TG12 because of the additional equipement that had to be added to the dispatch center or not. Maybe that TG will go away in the near future.

Don_Ch

Previously it seemed that "ALS Emergencies" noted what the problem was (fall, heart attack, etc.) Now the automated call does not list that. Am I correct ?

rbuxton

Premium Subscriber
Previously it seemed that "ALS Emergencies" noted what the problem was (fall, heart attack, etc.) Now the automated call does not list that. Am I correct ?
Yup. No details on any voice dispatched call whether medical or fire. Particulars via MDT.

JamesO

While I have been traveling and have not listened to a LOT of FCFD Automated Dispatch, I did hear some of it as it was being implemented and it was enabled and disabled a number of times over the past month or so. I was listening this morning and I heard a few Automated Dispatches where ALS was clearly stated in the Automated Dispatch.

Will need to monitor and listen more intently to determine if ALS/BLS is regularly used.

Status
Not open for further replies.