Fake Watson?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WhittyNick

I just bought a Watson W-881 through Amazon. I thought I'd check it when it arrived as i had read that there are fake versions of this antenna. Upon inspecting the antenna I noticed a couple of discrepancies. The first is that it is advertised as being 41cm in length whereas mine is only 40cm. Also I have been looking at images of the antenna on the net and the writing on the label at the base of the antenna runs vertically up the antenna whereas mine runs around the circumference. The little yellow plasic wallet that it comes in looks genuine, but who knows. I might just be being paranoid.

questnz

I have 3 x Watson antennas including WSMA-881. On all of them text run lengthways and my 881 is 41 cm in length. Hope this help

Last edited:

WhittyNick

I think I might have a fake then coz reception isn't much better than the little rubber ducky that came as standard. I get one extra signal bar if I'm lucky.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Fast1eddie

Doubt one measly centimeter is causing your reception troubles. Reexamine your installation and pay extremely close attention to your terminated RF connector to the radio and antenna. Not familiar with this model, but some antennas have a bent center tab at the bottom base which provides a physical contact to the mount. Possibly there is corrosion or maybe the tab is broken or not making a good electrical (remember, RF is electrical) connection.

Finally, maybe you have a defective antenna. Defects do occur in manufacturing.

Good Signals,

ed

Status
Not open for further replies.