FAQ: Florida's Scanner Law

Status
Not open for further replies.

Britedj

Premium Subscriber
In other words NO, even thou the overseas visitor will only be in the state for 4 to 5 days before going to another state.

N4KVE

So if an overseas visitor can't have a scanner in a hire car when it is not illegal in their own country. This needs to be verified and posted for all to see
If a guy from Colorado where pot is legal to possess is visiting Miami, & brings some with him, & is caught by the Miami police, will he be arrested? Same thing.

Rred

Really the same as Europe before the "EU" was formed. Drive five or six hours, and you'd have to pull out your passport and fill out forms and convert to new Monopoly Money...Italian lira being one of the funniest.

We are fifty states, who have collectively surrendered *limited* sovereignty to a federal republic, which also owns eleven insular possessions and the non-state "district" of Washington DC. That's fifty sovereign states and fifty sets of "national" laws to be followed, yes.

But you'll only have to clear in at the federal border, same as with the EU.

ten13

Premium Subscriber
Don't think you're going to talk your way out of an encounter with a cop based on shear nuances that you read into this radio law.

There are four types of encounters one can have with a cop (anywhere) over these radios: a cop who knows this particular law and its specifics and gets up each morning hoping he can use his new-found knowledge to enforce it in its entity; the cop who sees anything out of the ordinary (like the radio) and thinks the owner has some terroristic goal in mind and decides it's "his duty" to investigate further; the cops who couldn't care less about the radio, as long as you look like an upstanding citizen or have some type of legitimate reason for having it (if they even ask you about it); and a cop who locks up someone for something entirely different, and throws the radio charge on the complaint for good measure.

Obviously, it's the first and second cop which you have to look out for. And those two are NOT going to listen to your whining in the street about whether the radio is being "transported" or "mounted," or on frequencies other than police frequencies. They will ask you off-the-wall questions about the radio (like, "What band is that on?") to which there probably won't be any worthwhile answer, making that cop's "suspicion" all that much more worse. More than likely, some police boss inside the precinct or headquarters will let you go (if you don't give them a hard time), but maybe four hours later.

The bottom line is: discretion. Don't leave the radio in the cup holder while the cop is asking for your license, registration, and insurance card. Don't go jumping out of your car, radio in hand, while walking towards an incident, and don't try to make small-talk with a cop at a hamburger joint who you don't know about something you heard on the radio ten minutes ago.

BBFFTomM

Disney

Disney property is the city of Lake Buena Vista, Florida, they have uniformed , State Certified LEOs, detectives, and their own jail!

QUOTE=Rred;2779504]Hudson, the law concerns equipment in motor vehicles.

Unless you are walking around Disneyworld with a Chevy in your pocket, it does not concern you.

Further, Disneyworld very aggressively defends its status as PRIVATE PROPERTY. If you see a uniformed cop in Disneyworld, it is very possible that they are off-duty working as private security ( a common thing in most states, they are allowed to wear their uniforms while working privately) and as such they would not be tasked, or able, to attend to violations of administrative codes beyond what their employer had hired them to do. Criminal codes, sure, but not the whole range of laws.

In case you've never noticed, cops who are working privately, or even working on their paid duty shifts, rarely give out tickets for littering, either. Disneyworld?? Is a nation of its own, just ask Walt.[sic][/QUOTE]

EMTJD

An officer may think differently and be strict if he is below quota (I assume some departments have them) and it is near the end of the month,

Ticket quotas are definitely illegal in pretty much every state in the country.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
Don't think you're going to talk your way out of an encounter with a cop based on shear nuances that you read into this radio law.

The bottom line is: discretion. Don't leave the radio in the cup holder while the cop is asking for your license, registration, and insurance card. Don't go jumping out of your car, radio in hand, while walking towards an incident, and don't try to make small-talk with a cop at a hamburger joint who you don't know about something you heard on the radio ten minutes ago.

That's just common sense, which obviously isn't held in high esteem by many people.

z31jaime

Further, Disneyworld very aggressively defends its status as PRIVATE PROPERTY. If you see a uniformed cop in Disneyworld, it is very possible that they are off-duty working as private security ( a common thing in most states, they are allowed to wear their uniforms while working privately) and as such they would not be tasked, or able, to attend to violations of administrative codes beyond what their employer had hired them to do. Criminal codes, sure, but not the whole range of laws.
]

Orange county sheriffs office has a sector that is just disney. not off-duty
https://www.ocso.com/Services/Operational-Services/Uniform-Patrol-Division/Sector-VI

scanmanmi

Ticket quotas are definitely illegal in pretty much every state in the country.
The mandate of a certain quantity may be illegal but it is just as much a reality. I've seen the monthly spreadsheet with my own eyes. While there may not be an official mandate there is peer pressure an unwirtten expectations.

I see this was started years ago but we have to get these stupid archaic scanner laws changed and off the books.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
The mandate of a certain quantity may be illegal but it is just as much a reality. I've seen the monthly spreadsheet with my own eyes. While there may not be an official mandate there is peer pressure an unwirtten expectations.

I see this was started years ago but we have to get these stupid archaic scanner laws changed and off the books.

As a LEO for 30+ years, we never had quotas. Early in my career, however, I was mildly reprimanded because of my lack of traffic citations.. The Lt. noted that one of the main thoroughfares in town was on my beat and there had to be multiple opportunities. He was right but the fact of the matter was, I was riding around in the neighborhoods talking to the residents, being seen by the folks and, on more than one occasion, shot baskets with some of the neighborhood kids. The Lt. knew that and didn't get real upset. He was doing what he was told.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber

Money, money, money.

Probably no one knows that better than the people of Georgia. For years, there were several towns in Georgia that were known nationwide as speed traps. The first one that comes to mind is Ludowici, a town of about 1500 people. They even had a stoplight that could be manually operated and they could cycle it anyway they wanted, The switch was located in a nearby barbershop. There were other towns that had "aggressive traffic enforcement" as well. The state ultimately cracked down. Laws were enacted that set a maximum percentage of a town's budget that was attributable to traffic fines. Radar use also had specific restrictions as to the highway grade, location of speed change signs, specific radar training for officers, etc. One county sheriff was even writing speeding tickets on federal property and highways running through Ft. Benning. The threat of a federal investigation into the county's finances ended that very quickly.

It was all about the money.

K4DPA

Dawson A
Premium Subscriber
I haven’t seen anyone mention that having a GMRS or other license from the FCC also falls under the same exemption as a amateur radio license. The way that myself and various law enforcement officers I know who have interpreted it the same way. The law states, “Any holder of a valid amateur radio operator or station license issued by the Federal Communications Commission.” A GMRS license is a “station authorization” issued by the FCC. I’m sure that “station license” and “station authorization” would be given the same meaning. Any thoughts? Thanks.

36c5e5c8d944226572b8f3f9e808cb65.jpg

N4KVE

How many people actually have a GMRS license? The GMRS rules state any family member of the license holder can use a GMRS radio. So if Joe Blow has the permit, his brother who lives thousands of miles away can also use GMRS radios to talk with his family. So there can possibly be GMRS radios in 20 different cars thousands of miles apart, & only one person has a license. The other 19 people, while legally using a GMRS radio, have no license. And even then, does anyone even know if the GMRS license actually applies to Florida State statute 843.16[1].

Rred

Dawson, you are misreading the quoted law.
"“Any holder of a valid amateur radio operator or station license"
Is not the same thing as what you are thinking, which would be “Any holder of a valid amateur radio operator (license), or (other) station license"

The law refers to HAMS ONLY. No other license or station types.

It may not be written as clearly as it could be, but yeah, I'm pretty sure the grammar and syntax is actually correct and can have only the one meaning.

ipfd320

Banned
Looking at my License it says-----

Operator Priviliges--(Amateur Extra) to the Right of that
Station Privileges--Primary

So I Would say Station Does Refer to a Radio Club and Repeater System

Station is the Radio You are Licensed to Operate

nbdyspclk

Many trips from Colorado to key west,pulled over no more than usual,yet not 1 time scanner was questioned about even WHILE tuned to Fla Leo channels,I asked and they don't give a ****,only if you use it commuting crimes

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.