Favorite List/Service type question

Status
Not open for further replies.

AA6IO

Premium Subscriber
I know that with the HP-1 and HP-2 scanners, when a service type is enabled, the scanner will download only those in the enabled service types for scanning. I presume the same is true for the 436HP/536HP when loading channels from the database using zip code.
However, I can't find the answer to the following question. Namely, if I have system in a FL on any of the above scanners that include 3 different service types: Example: A favorite list of one specific area in LA County that includes 50 channels (conventional) each of "law dispatch," "fire dispatch," and "EMS," and I turn off the "law dispatch" and "fire dispatch" service types, will the scanner than only scan the 50 EMS stations, or will the scanner still search all 150 channels but only stop on EMS channels. In other words, am I reducing my 150 channel list to only 50 channels for faster scanning of those specific channels, or is the scanner still scanning through all 150 channels because that system is already quick-keyed on.
Anybody with this information please advise. Thank you.

marksmith

I know with trunked systems those unselected service type IDs are still there (downloaded) even if off, and you can hold on them to listen. Of course, only the control channel is scanned so its not looking at talkgroups. I believe the frequencies will be there for conventional, available for hold. Good question though in terms of whether they are scanned and ignored, or not scanned at all (speed).

Only way to know is to try it. Due to the nature of trunking works, it makes no difference. Similar to avoiding a talkgroup. No speed change. Might for conventional as a record with the frequency in it is actually involved with the deselected type.

Sent from my LG-V410 using Tapatalk

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
If the system is trunked, the scanner is monitoring one or two control channels and voice channels as needed, regardless of how many talkgroups on the system match selected Service Types. Deselecting Service Types will not scan the system any faster. The only benefit is if two talkgroups are active simultaneously, and one is an undesired Service Type. The scanner will ignore the traffic on the undesired talkgroup, and lock on to the desired talkgroup.

If your system is a collection of discrete conventional frequencies, then turning off Service Types will speed up the scan, because only frequencies matching active Service Types will be scanned. Everything else will be skipped.

Status
Not open for further replies.