• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

Favorite Pistol Caliber

Status
Not open for further replies.

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
# 4 Buckshot is a good load.

FF - Medic !!
Well, if that's the case, I'll still shoot 9mm, because it doesn't hurt my shoulder...lol

I have two 12 gauge shotguns. I refuse to shoot one as it hurts like hell to shoot it. It's an OLD Stevens single shot. I haven't shot it in about 30 years.

The other is a 590A1 Mossberg. I shot it several times before my shoulder surgery and really liked it. I'm just afraid to shoot it now being post-op and all.

ff-medic

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
The Appalachians - Next to the tent and campfire.
Well, if that's the case, I'll still shoot 9mm, because it doesn't hurt my shoulder...lol

I have two 12 gauge shotguns. I refuse to shoot one as it hurts like hell to shoot it. It's an OLD Stevens single shot. I haven't shot it in about 30 years.

The other is a 590A1 Mossberg. I shot it several times before my shoulder surgery and really liked it. I'm just afraid to shoot it now being post-op and all.

Shoot 12 gauge low brass, or switch to a 20 gauge shotgun. Lighter shotguns like the Stevens single shot tend to "Kick ' ; due to their low weight. 20 Gauges are great self defense weapons , and excellent for small game. I like shotguns with modified chokes myself. Low recoil , supurb in dealing damage with the right loads. And 20 gauge slugs shoot better trajectory wise than 12's. " I " find 20 gauge slugs to have a better trajectory at 100 yards than 12's.

There is some really great benefits to 20 gauge shotguns than 12's :

1 ) Shells are smaller and less heavy to carry in quanity.

2 ) Low recoil versus the 12 gauge.

3 ) 20 gauge " Youth Models " are excellent shotguns , especially for a long days hunt ; or attaching to / carrying in - a pack = Less weight.

4 ) 20 gauge slugs have ballistics that can definatly compete with the 12 gauge ,especially at distances past 50 yards in matters of trajectory.

5 ) I have always found a greater selection of 20 gauge shotguns versus 12 gauge.

6 ) 20 gauge autoloaders are easier to keep on target than similar 12 gauge autoloaders of equal weight and barrel length.

7 ) 20 gauge shotguns are perfect for small game hunting , especially bird. ( it don't take much to kill a grouse, especially a rabbit ).

8 ) I believe the 20 gauge shotgun to be the best , and all around "survival " long gun ( Second to the 22 mag ). With shot of different sizes it can be used to hunt with or self defense. In mountainous country a 20 gauge slug can be used for self defense , especially big and dangerous game such as
bears or large mountain lions ; and threats at a distance. Or 20 gauge slugs can be used to hunt deer , anrtelope and other game.

9 ) 20 gauge shotguns make excellent camping companions , along with your favorite handgun.
----------------------------------

I want to trade my Glock 23 off or sell it and get a 22.

Sometime down the road I want a Beretta 92FS with standard sights. I wanted one about ten years ago when my local Sheriffs Dept sold theirs to get HK USP's. I missed out. Was supposed to get one and did not.

FF - Medic !!!

Last edited:

ff-medic

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
The Appalachians - Next to the tent and campfire.
I have a Beretta 92FS, but shoot the XD more, because it kicks less and is more accurate.

( Smile ) Your Springfield shoots better than the Beretta. I wanna see that for myself. I have a problem with the XD being part Glock , Smith & Wesson and Sig.

They should have been original in their design.

FF - Medic !!!!

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
You're welcome to come on out and shoot it man.

It just feels better in my hand, like it was made for me. The recoil is a lot less as well. Even my wife noticed and she doesn't shoot very much. I think it has to do with the way the barrel angles up when it is cycling another round. The Beretta's barrel pretty much stays level. It's very easy to keep the XD on target for follow up shots, as in, it's already there after you fire. With the 92, I find that I have to reposition every time.

Don't get me wrong, I like both of them, but if I had to pick one to keep, the XD would be it. I've never shot a Glock, so I can't comment on them. Heck I'd probably get one if it wasn't for me saving for my next toy (FA Uzi).

KB8KOJ

Premium Subscriber
.45 ACP in a 1911 design. I don't shoot pistols all that well. Shotgunner/birdhunter since I can remember. A quality 1911 has a trigger that I can compare or maybe not. I can throw down decent groups at the range. I however don't find that firearm to be a tactically capable weapon for myself. I love the 'kick' (okay reaction) of that design/cartridge. It's slow and predictable. I know 9mm ammo has come a long way in the past 10 years..... But, my bedside handgun is a Sig Arms 226 in .40. Hopefully that gets me to a shotgun in the middle of the night. If it doesn't snap out of my hand? Guess I don't understand the question :wink:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.