• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

FCC Definitions

Status
Not open for further replies.

W5JG

Premium Subscriber
I just read the GMRS section of Part 95. There are several different types of stations listed, but some are not clearly defined.

A Mobile is obvious. It should be allowed the default of 50 W maximum.

A Land Station must have its address/location listed on Form 605. I assume your home address on the form is sufficient? Also should allow 50 W. Doesn't seem to limit antenna height to <= 20 ft.

A Fixed Station is allowed 15 W. How is this different than a Land Station?

A Small Control Station is 50 W and <= 20 ft antenna height. Any clarification on this type of station?

A Small Base Station is 5 W ERP and <= 20 ft antenna height. How is this different than a Land or Fixed Station?

A repeater is not addressed as to which type of station it is. If I put up a repeater at a location that is not my home address, is it a Fixed Station?

ecps92

§ 95.29 Channels available. Explains a Repeater as:

repeater station (a GMRS station that simultaneously retransmits the transmission of another GMRS station on a different channel or channels), the licensee of the GMRS system must select the transmitting channels or channel pairs (see §95.7(a) of this part) for the stations in the GMRS system from the following 462 MHz channels:
462.5500, 462.5750, 462.6000, 462.6250, 462.6500, 462.6750, 462.7000 and 462.725

I just read the GMRS section of Part 95. There are several different types of stations listed, but some are not clearly defined.

A Mobile is obvious. It should be allowed the default of 50 W maximum.

A Land Station must have its address/location listed on Form 605. I assume your home address on the form is sufficient? Also should allow 50 W. Doesn't seem to limit antenna height to <= 20 ft.

A Fixed Station is allowed 15 W. How is this different than a Land Station?

A Small Control Station is 50 W and <= 20 ft antenna height. Any clarification on this type of station?

A Small Base Station is 5 W ERP and <= 20 ft antenna height. How is this different than a Land or Fixed Station?

A repeater is not addressed as to which type of station it is. If I put up a repeater at a location that is not my home address, is it a Fixed Station?

W5JG

Premium Subscriber
Yes, I saw the frequencies listed. That does not address my question of "which type of station it is", as stated in my post.

ecps92

Lets try this :roll:

A repeater station (a GMRS station that simultaneously retransmits the transmission of another GMRS station on a different channel or channels), the licensee of the GMRS system must select the transmitting channels or channel pairs for the stations in the GMRS system.

Yes, I saw the frequencies listed. That does not address my question of "which type of station it is", as stated in my post.

KD8DVR

I wonder that, too. Land vs fixed? Huh? I always refer to my radios in my ham shack as my "fixed" station. For that matter, my GMRS setup, I also consider "fixed". They just so happen to be on land . I never refer to my fixed station as a "Base" Station. A base implies mobile stations that call into the base....plus it sounds to "CB..ish".

AntiSquid Disclaimer: All comments are personal opinion only and may not imply actual fact.

SCPD

QRT
Oh...... I just saw that this question was posted about 2 months ago...I certainly hope you got the answer you wanted by now, W5JG ...........:)

.....But

--I am going to throw out the definitions I have always worked under-- as to what a "Base" v.s a "Fixed" station is.
____________________________________________________________________________________________
Coyote's reading -and living- of "The Law"--- :)
____________________________________________________________________________________________

A "Base" is a stationary station in the Mobile Service. It communicates with Mobile stations (I think this is supposed to be exclusively- though since it is in the Mobile Service, it is able to also talk to other Bases- moving about, or not.... a Mobile station stopping can become an instant "Base")

A "Fixed" station is one that communicates in the Fixed Service.... These are stations are not in the Mobile service, and as I interpret this, they do not talk to mobiles or bases....
Confusing, No?.... :)
I guess the best example of a fix station is one that talks point-to-point with another non mobile station; these are stations licensed not to move. They have fixed geographical locations. Think like a commercial microwave link'd system.....
Looking thru the various FCC regulations one can find many frequencies licensed to the Fix Service*..... but don't get the FCC Part regulation confused with the Service designator. GMRS apparently, though I can't find where it says this exactly- allows it licensee's to operate their stations under all three categories- as a Mobile, a Base, or a Fixed station. The "Twist" come under what the licensee decides to call his/her station and how they use said station(s.)
Personally, I can't see it makes much difference if you wish to talk to another station that is a "Base" as compared to one that calls itself "Fixed" under this Part 95 rule. 15 Watts compared to 50- less than 6 Db's- who is going to care? though the possibility of fixed ,directional gain antennas, I think, is the reason for the "Mobile' v.s. "Fixed" GMRS.
Anyway- I am not a frequency co-ordinator ( laughing) nor do I want to be consider'd a 'radio lawyer." I do work in the field, and there these terms have relevance..... though, surprisingly, I generally ignore them completely!....;)
....................................CF

*154.45625, 173.210, 72 to 76 (example: 72.18) Mhz's- as just a sample

Oh, and bye-the-bye, here (GMRS) a Repeater station could/would be consider'd a base -or a mobile-- in the "Mobile" service.

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
Quote..."I wonder that, too. Land vs fixed?"...KD8DVR

I just realized I didn't say anything about that... its Land (based) Stations as compared to those in the Space, Maritime or Aeronautical Services. I agree; mixing the terms Land and Fixed do not go together well.
...................................CF

Last edited:

KD8DVR

That makes sense, CF....

AntiSquid Disclaimer: All posted content is personal opinion only and may not imply fact or accusation.

SCPD

QRT
This morning I re-read the questions posed, and realized I left some rather gapping holes in my comments. W5JG asked about the licensee address- the FCC no longer licenses a GMRS station to a specific geographical location. They do for other radio services&#8230;. Specifying if the units are to be &#8220;Base(s), Mobile(s) and/or Fixed,and where they are to be located&#8230;. In this case, that address becomes the point-of-contact for the FCC to notify the license holder, should it become necessary. The GMRS licensee is thus free to choose whatever location, status etc. they desire their station(s)- much like ham radio. The other radio services will specify a specific location of a &#8220;Base&#8221;- if its in the Mobile Service, or &#8220;Fixed&#8221; location if its in the Fixed service, or area of operation if they are &#8220;Mobiles&#8221; only. I realize I have used the term &#8220;Service&#8221; rather freely; remembering the difference between the FCC Part for licensing compared to the purpose of the radio&#8217;s use.

My other &#8220;overlooked&#8221; was the difference between a &#8220;Small&#8221; Base, a &#8220;Small&#8221; Control station, and a &#8220;Regular&#8221; station.
I haven&#8217;t a clue what they mean by that.
If your antenna is only 20 feet high, or less- you are a Small Station ?-- and have to restrict your power?-- and if its over 20 feet it can be full power&#8217;d??&#8230; This makes no sense to me. I can find no reference in any FCC regulations as to what, exactly, a &#8220;small station&#8221; is&#8230;. Maybe some one out there can help me?

In the past I have shown Part 95 to some of my colleagues, and asked them their interpretations. Universally the response has been &#8216;it&#8217;s confusing&#8221;-- in the least. One I remember best summed it up something like this-
&#8220;&#8230;.written by a bunch of (Blank-itys) who were into Magic Mushrooms&#8221;
&#8230;.&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;...........( a bit colorful embellishment, that &#8230;..:) )

Since GMRS is likely to become BPRS* I wouldn&#8217;t take these regulations to heart. I do know some people with GMRS licenses that are very serious about their radios, and I respect them- even help&#8217;d them numerous times with technical issues on their repeater- but the FCC has not done them any favors, especially when it comes to something that should be simple- like the laws regulating their service- thusly, if one so chooses to loosely interpret them, so be it.
&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;..CF

* BPRS- &#8220;Bubble Pak&#8217;d Radio Service&#8221;&#8230;. forgive my cuteness&#8230; there is a blizzard raging outside and this is just the effects of Cabin Fever&#8230;.. ;)

Last edited:

nd5y

My other “overlooked” was the difference between a “Small” Base, a “Small” Control station, and a “Regular” station.
I haven’t a clue what they mean by that.
If the antenna is higher than 20 feet and/or power is more than 5 W ERP then it isn't "small".

§95.25 Land station description.

(d) A small control station is any control station which:

(1) Has an antenna no more than 6.1 meters (20 feet) above the ground or above the building or tree on which it is mounted (see §95.51); and

(2) Is: (i) South of Line A or west of Line C; or

(ii) North of Line A or east of Line C, and the station transmits with no more than 5 watts ERP (effective radiated power).

(e) A small base station is any base station that:

(1) Has an antenna no more than 6.1 meters (20 feet) above the ground or above the building or tree on which it is mounted (see §95.51); and

(2) Transmits with no more than 5 watts ERP.

SCPD

QRT
Thanks Tom&#8230;.that makes sense&#8230; sort of,&#8230; to me. The FCC&#8217;s definition there is clear, but why the power limits?&#8230;why the antenna limitations and power restrictions when a GMRS station can use up to 50 Watts and an unlimited antenna height?&#8230;what is the need for a &#8220;small&#8221; v.s &#8220;regular&#8221; GMRS station? Why would one choose to be a &#8216;small&#8217; station when then they can be a &#8220;regular&#8220;- is it something that they gain, or loose by being one or the other? Seems to me, though I don&#8217;t have the ability to verify it, that there must have been more to this at one time---like at some point the rules were changed, but these terms remained&#8230;. As in maybe how the interstitial frequencies were supposed to be used? Maybe the Canadian Border thing?
I ask that all rhetorically- and, again- thank you for the answer.
Part 95 still leaves me confused&#8230; :)
&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;CF

Last edited:

nd5y

All I know is the GMRS small base and control station rule looks similar to the 6.1 meter rule in part 90. I don't know the reason for it and have not seen a copy of the rules from before 1989 or whatever year they changed everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.