FCC fines ham operator $17,000 for violation

Status
Not open for further replies.

OCO

I can think of one area of the RF spectrum that the FCC could probably use to help lower the national debt, if they wanted to put some enforcement like this into it..

Bob_61

What was he thinking/not thinking

I think he was thinking like a 15 year old. I say this because at that age me and a friend were using a pair of marine radios and just messing around. Then I heard the loudest voice I have ever heard on those radios or any radio. "This is the United Coast Guard You Are In Direct Violation Of FCC Rules,You need to stop transmission on these frequencies immediately!! I about s**t my pants and drop the radio as soon as I realized what I heard. Left it there and ran looking to see if someone was near us since it was so load.... Never again!!! Oh no!

N5TWB

While this is good, I'd be more impressed if the fine/forfeiture was over improper operation in the ham bands. There's no doubt there are plenty of juicy targets on those bands.

WouffHong

Gibson Girl Night Sweats

I think he was thinking like a 15 year old. I say this because at that age me and a friend were using a pair of marine radios and just messing around. Then I heard the loudest voice I have ever heard on those radios or any radio. "This is the United Coast Guard You Are In Direct Violation Of FCC Rules,You need to stop transmission on these frequencies immediately!! I about s**t my pants and drop the radio as soon as I realized what I heard. Left it there and ran looking to see if someone was near us since it was so load.... Never again!!! Oh no!

Back in 1953, as a young ham of 15 with a new general license, I had bought old war surplus junk to play with and disect for parts. One of these was the famous "Gibson Girl" Emergency transmitter - a hand-cranked 500 KC/s (Now known as KHz) and 8 MC/s (+/-) CW SOS Transmitter.

How cool.

Late one night, I hooked it up to my small wire antenna and happily cranked away, watching the little light blink on and off with the ... --- ... SOS pattern and tuned around 8 MC/s on my SX-25 Hallicrafters receiver, finding it on the 8 MC/s band also and marveling that it still put out anything after surviving WWII or Korea.. Real cool..

We were living at my parent's summer cottage quite near the ocean and I heard the USCG Station horn go off and the 2 40-footers roar out of the harbor with their diesels and sirens competing for the destruction of the peaceful seaside town's silence.

Crank - Crank - Crank - Such fun. I can even hear the big USCG Helicopter roar over and head off-shore.. Wow - something must be going on.. Tuned the SX-25 down to 2182 and heard all the AM traffic chatter about a distress signal offshore.. Crank - Crannnk - CRANNNKK!!! :eek: :eek: OH, MY GOD!!-- I'm a dead kid!!

I attacked that yellow beast held between my legs with fury driven by fear and CERTAIN imprisonment, destroying every tube, cutting every wire harness, removing the generator and crank and throwing them out into a deep tidal ditch in the marsh, followed by the yellow beast and it's remains and went to the upper bunk, pulling the blanket over my head and shaking all night.

The next day, my parents were reading the morning paper and commenting about there was a sinking offshore last night, but no remains were found, except a possible oil slick, now dissipating..

I said nothing...... :twisted:

Da Wouff

Attachments

• gg.jpg
    gg.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 2,654
Last edited:

K9WG

WA1ATA

I have a feeling that this was thinking for him.......
Or the note towards the bottom of the report:
Because of possible evidence of alcohol use, the Annapolis police were
contacted and they arrested Perka for having an open alcohol container in
his car.

It's clear that this was not just a simple case of operating unlicensed transmitters or on unlicensed freqs. What got the FCC moving was the USCG saying that the offender was deliberately interfering with VHF 16 hailing and distress channel and was harassing the US Coast Guard.

K9WG

Or the note towards the bottom of the report:

It's clear that this was not just a simple case of operating unlicensed transmitters or on unlicensed freqs. What got the FCC moving was the USCG saying that the offender was deliberately interfering with VHF 16 hailing and distress channel and was harassing the US Coast Guard.

And probably the cause of some of the 80-meter QSOs in the evenings.... ;)

You are correct. As understaffed as the FCC is, unless there is a complaint or interference of a critical nature, most unlicensed operations is unnoticed.

VE3TAX

Exemption in canada

I was just looking at the industry Canada site and there have been new exemptions made that as long as you do not travel to USA/International waters a license is no longer needed or will be issued. I believe this applies to handheld / portable units only a ships onboard radio will still require a license

Status
Not open for further replies.