FCC Invites Comments on ARRL Technician Enhancement Proposal

Should U.S. amateur radio licensing (classes and privileges) be revamped?

• Turn it all over to the military; let them decide how to administer hobby radio services.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

MUTNAV

Premium Subscriber
Actually, thru out ham history there have been some squirrely licenses.

The Technican (what a name !... these licensee are only valued as Tech's- not that I don't have the highest regard for Tech's.... but why did they choose a name like that ?-- '50-era stuff, no doubt. I would have called it something like the 'Scientist License"- if it had to have a name)--

Anyway

The Technician License was originally an experimenters permit to play with 220 MHz and above. Radio control; radio experiments-- modulated oscillators on goodness knows what frequencies somewhere around "220" or "420".... nasty regen receivers.... *

Maybe if you were well heel'd ($$,) inventive, or lucked upon a piece of war surplus gear you could sport an acorn tube front end receiver. Transmitters ? something crystal controlled using an 8Meg 'rock' on "420 ?" (that's what 70cm. was called)-- lots and lots of tubes! to get up there.

A Tech was not supposed to communicate with anyone.

When I was a "G" in the UK, old timers with G2 calls told me that prefix was originally an experimenter's license callsign. They were only supposed to use 'dummy ariels"- but of course they ended up talking all over on their 'light bulb' antennas.

I can't say it too strongly- make the test relevant to what this is- a hobby. If it opens a flood gate (doubtful) of new hams, so be it. But bring the entry process- ie: Testing- into the 21st Century.

Lauri :sneaky:

* like in my 1958 copy of the ARRL handbook

So... Maybe dividing the hobby into different groups, ensuring that everyone has enough entry level knowledge to not hurt or interfere with others doing the same thing. Is what we should be considering.

Maybe something like Operators, Experimenters, Space communications, High data rate communications,
and messing about above 2 Ghz (or some other appropriate frequency, keeping in mind that currently a technician class licensee can mess with microwave ovens and REALLY high power lasers based on the current rules). Would be a good starting point.

Any other thoughts on ways of appropriatly making tests relevant to different aspects of the hobby? This may be a little more radical than what the FCC was looking for.

Oh... and I LIKE the Smith charts, with colored pencils you can really make them interesting. (like the adult coloring books which are something COMPLETELY different that what they sound like.)

Thanks
Joel

So... Maybe dividing the hobby into different groups.......
........Maybe something like Operators, Experimenters, Space communications, High data rate communications........

I fear that takes us back to the starting gate- it doesn't simplify anything. If nothing else- it complicates an already too complicated licensing structure. Where would existing licensees get plug into these new categories ? The bureaucratic nightmare of so many licenses is daunting- and with limited government budgets for ham radio- unlikely to ever fly.

Those of us in First World countries tend to loose sight of what this radio hobby is to the rest of the world. If they have amateur radio, its often a rich person's past time. If they bother to formally license, its often a very perfunctory ceremony. Next time anyone contacts Outer Slobovia, ask the operator to define a Smith Chart.
Yet I'd put these guys and gals up against any of our precious Extra Classes any day.

I like analogies: here's a couple--

I have an Advanced Class license- In some circles this hold quaint distinction - for after all, there was code involved in front of an FCC examiner.

Now quick forward to a Central American country where my friendship with the wife of the chief of police got me an immediate audience with one of his captains. The most difficult part of that license ? choosing my callsign (and the suffix was my initials.)

Another ?
This time an island nation in the Pacific. The Post Mistress' son was an avid stamp collector. For his birthday I ask my mother in the States to buy and send me the best stamp album she could find- for this was something the Post Mistress couldn't afford. My mother sent the most wonderful album, collections of stamps, etc. The look on that lady's face was radiant when I gave her son his present. The next day she paid a call on me--

"I know you are a radio enthusiast (I had made some inquiries about a ham license)
"I want you to have this" and she handed me sheet of paper. It was a ham license (and she had chosen to use my initials for the suffix.)

Once again, One License-- One Test : keep it simple, keep it safe, keep it courteous.... that's all that a ham licensee needs to be, to be "Certified."

Last edited by a moderator:

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Once again, One License-- One Test : keep it simple, keep it safe, keep it courteous.... that's all that a ham licensee needs to be, to be "Certified."

I believe that's the answer.
"Ham Cram" sessions have proven that regurgitating answers on a multiple choice test is not difficult, and does not really prove any level of knowledge. While most probably put a fair amount of effort into getting their license, I've gotta wonder how much of the knowledge is lost shortly after completing the test.

needairtime

I think the main problem is that the vast majority of hams appear to just want "free beer" communications and have no interest in learning more about radio - since it's easier to buy and it works better than DIY, just let me pay my fixed cost and start talking to people. The experimenters will be the ones causing interference because they are trying to learn/build something new that might not work...

... when will the "operators" start complaining about the "experimenters" for doing what the original intent of the amateur radio service was designed for, since when this first started, everyone made their own radio? If amateur radio was meant to be just talk for free, they might well just have another CB-like service with no restrictions on power up to a certain point, and expand GMRS band to more channels. There is no need to learn about modulators and SSB, just plug in your radio and go.

This would perhaps to the chastise of other countries where they do have rigorous testing. I peeked at even the Canadian ham test questions and the basic level of amateur licensing required knowing some stuff from our Extra pool, it seems!. In some respects, due to the large probability of interference and radio waves is a limited resource, the testing was made to actually reduce the number of people who are allowed to use them!

Switching gears, the high data rate problem is yet another issue - since the bandwidth allotted for amateur use is fairly small compared to high data rate, it will block out a whole bunch of communications for other people. Then again, the amateur radio service was never intended to be a replacement for commercial radio service either. Just not enough bandwidth spatially for people to be transmitting fast scan video over the airwaves - SSTV is different because it fits within a voice channel.

alcahuete

Premium Subscriber
My point was making sure amateurs were aware that their amateur radio license provided no privileges on GMRS, FRS, MURS, CB or land mobile/public safety frequencies. There seems to be some confusion about this, and some of the BS I hear amateurs telling each other makes you wonder how this sort of crap gets started.

I assure you there's no confusion. They know good and well that they are not allowed to transmit on those bands, but they don't care, and do so anyway. And in all fairness, it probably doesn't make that much of a difference. I have no problem using a Part 90 radio on GMRS. I likewise wouldn't have any problem with using a Yaesu or quality ham handheld there either. Nobody is going to know the difference. And even using a HF radio on CB (turned down to the appropriate wattage) would not make me angry either. I may or may not have done it years ago, running 10w out of my Yaesu on CB SSB.

It's when the services are abused by hams that makes my blood boil. There are ham operators where I live running hundreds of watts on GMRS. One guy out here is running upward of 1kw. MURS is even worse.

ladn

Explorer of the Frequency Spectrum
Premium Subscriber
Southern California and sometimes Owens Valley
I can't say it too strongly- make the test relevant to what this is- a hobby. If it opens a flood gate (doubtful) of new hams, so be it. But bring the entry process- ie: Testing- into the 21st Century.

I wholly agree! When I upgraded to Extra, I was astounded by the amount of arcane information, Smith Charts included, that I had to learn. Most of it was information that served no purpose retaining in memory and could be referenced when/if the need arose. Another annoyance of all the licensing exams I took was the way the questions were worded. The syntax structure was worthy of a congressional bill! In addition to making a more relevant question pool, the questions themselves should be written in simple English.

Personally, I'd like to see two licenses classes. An entry level license, much like today's Tech but with full 10M privileges, and a full license that would be the equivalent of today's Extra. Maybe 20-25 relevant questions on the entry level test and no more than 35 relevant questions on the full license test.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
I was astounded by the amount of arcane information, Smith Charts included, that I had to learn.
Had to learn? It's a 50-question test and you pass the test if you answer 37 questions correctly. When I took the Extra exam, I skipped the Smith chart questions and other items that could be considered "arcane". I still passed the test.

Remember the old joke: What do you call the med school student who finishes at the bottom of the class? Doctor. What do you call the amateur radio operator who only gets 37 questions right on the Element 4 test? Extra.

There are times when I think people get wrapped a little too tight when it comes to the amateur radio tests. I don't think that "improving" the tests will make for better amateur radio operators.

belvdr

No longer interested in living
Had to learn? It's a 50-question test and you pass the test if you answer 37 questions correctly. When I took the Extra exam, I skipped the Smith chart questions and other items that could be considered "arcane". I still passed the test.

Remember the old joke: What do you call the med school student who finishes at the bottom of the class? Doctor. What do you call the amateur radio operator who only gets 37 questions right on the Element 4 test? Extra.

There are times when I think people get wrapped a little too tight when it comes to the amateur radio tests. I don't think that "improving" the tests will make for better amateur radio operators.
Agreed. For the parts of the Extra exam I didn't know, I simply memorized. It wasn't difficult.

K5MPH

Brownsville Texas,On The Border By The Sea.
I believe that's the answer.
"Ham Cram" sessions have proven that regurgitating answers on a multiple choice test is not difficult, and does not really prove any level of knowledge. While most probably put a fair amount of effort into getting their license, I've gotta wonder how much of the knowledge is lost shortly after completing the test.
I agree with you mmckenna i know some Generals and Extras that dont even know what a SWR meter is much less how to use it.

R0am3r

Salt Water Conch
Premium Subscriber
So... Maybe dividing the hobby into different groups.......
........Maybe something like Operators, Experimenters, Space communications, High data rate communications........

I fear that takes us back to the starting gate- it doesn't simplify anything. If nothing else- it complicates an already too complicated licensing structure.

Why do we need to simplify anything? There are only three tests and they are ridiculously easy to pass! How is that complicated? If we really want to make changes to Amateur Radio, maybe we should consider making the tests more challenging with updated content, so people earn their additional privileges. Some people probably believe the existing tests are too hard for perspective hams. If that were true, how do you explain 9-year-old hams who passed these same tests? If people are too lazy to work hard and earn their licenses, they shouldn’t be awarded a license.

GrumpyGuard

I hold a Tech license and I am against this. We don't need to simplify the testing. I took the time to study for my license and I also don't like the 8 hour ham cram sessions so many VE like to teach. I live in a antenna restricted development and won't be able to use the added frequencies, but with that if I ever feel the need to get on HF I will take a General Course and test for the more advanced license. If amateur radio keeps this up soon we will be unlicensed, lose our bands and become Citizen Band Radio 2.0. This is very bad for the hobby.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Why do we need to simplify anything? There are only three tests and they are ridiculously easy to pass! How is that complicated?

It's not that the tests are too hard. It's that the tests don't really prove anything. Having an amateur radio license and passing a 35 question multiple choice test doesn't prove knowledge. The discussion is how should the FCC update the structure? If I can ham-cram all the tests and get an extra, but learn nothing along the way, what good is that?

One extreme is to make the tests harder, but simply making a multiple choice test harder doesn't fix the "ham-cram" method of obtaining a license, or address those that simply memorize the question pool by taking online tests over and over again.

If we make the tests easier, it probably won't change much. Those that want their license are still going to get it.
Having the FCC administer in-person tests again isn't going to happen.

One idea is to scrap the current structure and go to a system that rewards actual knowledge and learning.

But not everyone is going to agree.

ladn

Explorer of the Frequency Spectrum
Premium Subscriber
Southern California and sometimes Owens Valley

"Had to learn" only in the context of "temporarily retain in memory long enough to pass the test". I pretty much did the same thing as you did. The only practical benefit of studying was gaining a situational awareness of a broad spectrum of electronic knowledge. Like other things in life, if I use it on a regular basis, I'll learn it--if not, I'll look it up.

w2xq

Mentor
The cynical me sez the ARRL proposal is solely designed to enable the big three plus a few bit players sell more equipment, ensuring the continued flow of advertising dollars to the organization.

I don't think any League official would admit same. Giddyup.

One idea is to scrap the current structure and go to a system that rewards actual knowledge and learning. mmckenna

A great idea; like sitting a dissertation in front of a tribunal. I fear it would become so cumbersome, too subjective and too prone to shilly shally's and corruptions to be applied to a country like the US. *

But, then again in a smaller venue: for example, something along this line for the American ham stations in the Antarctic, maybe :)

----------------------------------------------------

Station Trustee- "Do you know what this is ?" pointing to the PTT switch on the microphone.

Pilgrim - "I push that when its my turn to talk"

Station Trustee -- "How about this?" indicating the tuning dial

Pilgrim - "I twirl that to find other stations to talk to"

Station Trustee - "And this ?"

Pilgrim- "Geeeez !, Enuff Already !................That's the bloody volume conrtol ! !----- Hey, I'm a scientist, remember." :p **

But our visits to a Russian research station were even easier;

"Давай, поговорим об этом, прекрасные дамы .. и спасибо за шотландский виски"

( "Go ahead and talk on it, beautiful ladies.. and thank you for the Scotch Whiskey" )

*Still, as beneficiary of such in the past, I can't throw mud.

**Pilgrim = Lauri, and her first trip "down to the ice."

And if I am having too much fun with this topic, someone say so - so far no Vodka was involved :)

Last edited by a moderator:

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
A great idea; like sitting a dissertation in front of a tribunal. I fear it would become so cumbersome, too subjective and too prone to shilly shally's and corruptions to be applied to a country like the US. *

The last thing in the world I'd want would be for a decision like that to be left to the opinions of a bunch of hams. They'd probably argue themselves to death.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
"Had to learn" only in the context of "temporarily retain in memory long enough to pass the test". I pretty much did the same thing as you did. The only practical benefit of studying was gaining a situational awareness of a broad spectrum of electronic knowledge.

Hmmmm, like all that vacuum tube stuff I had to learn when I got my test….

needairtime

Looking at the general and extra vacuum tube questions (that are STILL there) I agree those probably are not very useful questions. But vacuum tubes are indeed still used in transmitter designs, perhaps they are there just to make it clear that they're still around and you may have to work on them some day... which is part of being an expert, which 97.1d wants us to be...

Status
Not open for further replies.