FCC issues $25,000 fine for unlicensed FM broadcasting

Status
Not open for further replies.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
"We impose a penalty of $25,000 against Winston Tulloch for operating an unlicensed FM radio station on 90.9 MHz in Paterson, New Jersey...Moreover, unlicensed radio stations create a danger of interference to licensed communications and undermine the Commission’s authority over broadcast radio operations."

"On April 25, 2018, the Enforcement Bureau issued a Notice of Apparent Liability for Forfeiture (NAL) proposing a $25,000 forfeiture against Mr. Tulloch for willful and repeated violation of Section 301 of the Communications Act of 1934, as amended (Act), by operating an unlicensed FM radio station on 90.9 MHz in Paterson, New Jersey. Mr. Tulloch has not filed a response to the NAL."

The full forfeiture order can be found here: https://docs.fcc.gov/public/attachments/DA-18-1104A1.pdf

modernsnipe14

Military Signal | NY EMT
Premium Subscriber
Report states its from April. Did he pay or were there other consequences?

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
The NAL was issued in April and Mr. Tulloch did not respond. The Forfeiture Order was issued October 30.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
I noticed there isn't even an address for Mr T in the NAL, so now try and find him, and like most it's a case of whack a mole

Looks like all they'll have to do is listen for stations on 90.9 mHz.

Hans13

I noticed there isn't even an address for Mr T in the NAL, so now try and find him, and like most it's a case of whack a mole

There is an address listed in the ULS for that FRN on the forfeiture order under the same name. FRN 0015762370

If the FCC did not have an address or indicate that they served notices in person, I'm not sure how quickly they could proceed on a matter. Probably via public notice but I am only guessing. In this case, it looks like the FCC had a good address and were able to notify with receipt requested.

K7MFC

WRAA720
I think the dollar amount is less of an issue than the FCC actually being able to collect the fines. The FCC laid down some fat multi-million dollar fines for telcos that squandered billions of dollars from their Universal Service Fund disbursements, but they ultimately collected nothing. Nobody is scared of a $25,000 (or 4x that amount) fine when you know you will never have to actually pay it.

w2xq

Mentor
Send the IRS out to collect the payment and padlock the home or business until settlement! There is too much crud out there. Anyone listening to the radio in the 1950s-1970s can appreciate how quiet things were. The noisemakers from cheap electronics; the deliberate interference by boorish idiots on the ham bands, GMRS and CB; the CATV service providers that leak spurious radiation onto frequencies where they don't belong; the power companies that can't keep their lines quiet (I was in the car the other day, and on one highway I couldn't hear a 50kw-nd 80 miles away). I say the violators should contribute to the monitoring, enforcement and engineering functions. That's my opinion. End of story.

scanmanmi

Looks like it's been a while

Fine shoud have been 4x the amount. Let's build up the enforcement side of the FCC.
I disagree also. There is absolutely NO provision for non corporate broadcasting. There could be, say, 4 freqs at 10 watts the public could use. But the corporate bosses wouldn't stanad for that. I definitely would.

So Tom meet Winston. KC2ALN
https://www.rbr.com/nj-pirate-slapped-with-25k-fine/

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber
I enjoy listening to the small pirate stations when I can track them down and actually hear them. Corporate broadcasting companies have ruined broadcast radio. They dictate what music gets played, what gets covered on news radio and who's political adds get air time. It's a hot mess.

w2xq

Mentor
Skypilot, with all due respect, violation of FCC rules and regulations -- Winston KC2LAN should have known better -- and the dearth of programming by those firms in the industry are two different issues. I agree with you that the mega broadcasters have destroyed the AM and FM offerings around here in the mid-Atlantic and elsewhere.

That said, try Radio Garden for something fun and different with many programming selections. I am listening to Kaua'i Community Radio KKCR FM 90.9 – Radio Garden and I often look through the stations in South Africa and Oceania.

Back to the FCC enforcement, frankly I wish there was more attention paid to the noisemakers (listed above) that makes listening to the LW, MW and HF spectrum difficult. But so be it.

Mexicans

"We impose a penalty of $25,000 against Winston Tulloch for operating an unlicensed FM radio station on 90.9 MHz in Paterson, New Jersey...Moreover, unlicensed radio stations create a danger of interference to licensed communications and undermine the Commission’s authority over broadcast radio operations."

"On April 25, 2018, the Enforcement Bureau issued a Notice of Apparent Liability for Forfeiture (NAL) proposing a $25,000 forfeiture against Mr. Tulloch for willful and repeated violation of Section 301 of the Communications Act of 1934, as amended (Act), by operating an unlicensed FM radio station on 90.9 MHz in Paterson, New Jersey. Mr. Tulloch has not filed a response to the NAL."

The full forfeiture order can be found here: https://docs.fcc.gov/public/attachments/DA-18-1104A1.pdf

We have one of these situations where I am at. Latino station at 90.3 FM no call sign during broadcast and NO FCC data about it anywhere. NOTHING in a Google search either... It might be illegal as well. They are routing material from somewhere THEN broadcasting it from some site in town. :mad: :roll: :confused:

cmdrwill

And it turns out that the operator has a valid Amateur Radio License. He SHOULD know better......

Hans13

And it turns out that the operator has a valid Amateur Radio License. He SHOULD know better......

IMHO, it's simply human nature. In any group of people who "should know better", there always seem to be one or some who's actions don't reflect that expected knowledge and self-control.

Status
Not open for further replies.