FCC issues $25,000 fine for unlicensed FM broadcasting

Status
Not open for further replies.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
And it turns out that the operator has a valid Amateur Radio License.
Which I intentionally did not bring up when I made my original post because I didn't think it was relevant. Rulz iz rulz. Break the rules, no matter who you are, and you are subject to being cited.

drk1970nj

I enjoy listening to the small pirate stations when I can track them down and actually hear them. Corporate broadcasting companies have ruined broadcast radio. They dictate what music gets played, what gets covered on news radio and who's political adds get air time. It's a hot mess.

So do i enjoyed the waves when you could really listen before Digital bull**** came along and ruined it for everyone listening to scanners fm am etc and the list goes on

evilbrad

My head makes a bad antenna
Christmas unlicensed

A famous Christmas display in Elburn illinois uses a FM station that you can hear miles away how can that be legal? Google Abc Christmas light fight Larson Family lights.

For years they have been doing this and you hear them for miles

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
Which I intentionally did not bring up when I made my original post because I didn't think it was relevant.
Actually, the FCC typically views as amateur radio licensees differently, because as others' stated, amateur radio operators are supposed to have a deeper technical understanding of both the proper technical operation of radio transmitting equipment, and the legal ramifications for doing so.

In enforcement bureau actions of the past, amateur radio licensees who venture "outside the bands" and violate other service rules such as part 90, usually have their amateur license set aside during renewal or a revocation action, with the FCC articulating to an ALJ exactly what has been stated, in short, a ham should indeed KNOW BETTER and ACT like a ham, or lose the privileges granted as such.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
I agree that a licensed amateur radio operator should know better. I also agree that a licensed amateur radio operator should lose their amateur radio license when found in violation of the FCC's rules for any radio service under the FCC's jurisdiction.

However, for purposes of reporting a story that the FCC has issued a forfeiture order for an FM broadcast license violation, I don't think that someone's status as an amateur radio operator is pertinent.

Status
Not open for further replies.