FCC Starts Investigations into Internet Speed Deception by Carriers

Status
Not open for further replies.

ipfd320

Banned
Tried Looking for the Right Place for This--I Think it Falls Here Due to it Being about Internet--If Not Please Move to Where it Belongs so Next Time I Know--Thanks

..........................................................................................................................................................................

Media Contact:
Tina Pelkey, (202) 418-0536
tina.pelkey@fcc.gov

For Immediate Release

FCC LAUNCHES INVESTIGATION INTO POTENTIAL VIOLATIONS
OF MOBILITY FUND PHASE II MAPPING RULES

WASHINGTON, December 7, 2018—Federal Communications Commission Chairman Ajit
Pai announced that the agency has launched an investigation into whether one or more major
carriers violated the Mobility Fund Phase II (MF-II) reverse auction’s mapping rules and
submitted incorrect coverage maps. The investigation comes after a preliminary review of the
20,809,503 speed tests filed with the agency in connection with the MF-II challenge process;
the window for initial challenges closed on November 26. The Commission has suspended the
next step of the challenge process—the opening of a response window—pending the
conclusion of this investigation.

“My top priority is bridging the digital divide and ensuring that Americans have access to
digital opportunity regardless of where they live, and the FCC’s Mobility Fund Phase II
program can play a key role in extending high-speed Internet access to rural areas across
America,” said Chairman Pai. “In order to reach those areas, it’s critical that we know where
access is and where it is not. A preliminary review of speed test data submitted through the
challenge process suggested significant violations of the Commission’s rules. That’s why I’ve
ordered an investigation into these matters. We must ensure that the data is accurate before we
can proceed.”

Mobility Fund II would allocate up to $4.53 billion over the next decade to advance high-speed
mobile broadband service in rural areas that would not be served without government support.

To formulate the eligibility map, mobile providers were required to submit current,
standardized coverage data, which was used in conjunction with data from the Universal
Service Administrative Company (USAC). The Commission then initiated a challenge
process, where interested parties had an opportunity to challenge initial determinations that an
area was ineligible for MF-II support. After being extended to accommodate additional input,
the challenge process for the map closed on November 26, with 20,809,503 speed tests filed
across 37 states.

###
Office of Media Relations: (202) 418-0500
ASL Videophone: (844) 432-2275
TTY: (888) 835-5322
Twitter: @FCC
www.fcc.gov/media-relations

This is an unofficial announcement of Commission action. Release of the full text of a Commission order
constitutes official action. See MCI v. FCC, 515 F.2d 385 (D.C. Cir. 1974).

DJ11DLN

No kidding. In my area AT&T is going to have to do a lot of work to get FirstNet online. Around here their coverage has more holes than Swiss cheese. But the coverage maps show solid coverage everywhere. I'd think this would fall under the "truth in advertising" statute but they (and the other carriers) all seem to get away with it. Even T Mobile shows solid coverage here...and people who have fallen for that hype find that it only works where they can latch onto it through their or someone else's wi-fi.

ipfd320

Banned
if your showing that there is a coverage problem the FCC wants to hear From You to Pinpoint the Problem Area and the Misinformed map Locations

Status
Not open for further replies.