• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

FD seem to have different protocols

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

nec208

Why is it the FD name the front of the building (A) and the back C ? And the west side (B) and east side (D)

Also other thing, I don't understand why is it the first truck is interior fire secter and the other truck Rescue secter ?

Why not the other way around? The only time I hear it , the other way around is if some one is in side the home that is on fire.

Or is it the protocol to go in the home with the Rescue secter and not alone, to do primary and secondary search?

The other trucks seem to go in staging for orders from the DC.Also is it first or second truck that sets up a water supply?

First off a truck is a ladder truck, an engine is the pumper ( there is also a Quint which is a combination of the ladder and engine). Traditionally the truck crew is responsible for search and rescue and ventilation. The engine crew is responsible for putting water on the fire. The reason the first due engine goes interior first with water is that the best way to save people is to get the fire put out. If the truck arrives first they will head in to do search and rescue. Once the engine crew gets a hose inside the truck crew will work in conjunction providing ventilation to the roof to clear out the smoke and heat so the engine crew can work easier. every fire company has variations of how they do things as well as the type of equipment they use, usually due to specific conditions they have in their district. As to the sides of the building being named it is so people inside and outside can keep tract of where they are on the scene. If a firefighter gets in trouble inside he and he radios he is at a window in the B,C corner on the second floor the rescue team (RIT team) would know right where he is. My understanding of it is A is front then you go to the left around the building so B would be the left side of the building when facing the A side, C would be the rear and D would be the right side respectively on a four sided building. The A,B,C,D thing is new here in the east we used to call side 1,2,3,4, but NIMS standards wanted to use numbers for floors so letters were chosen for sides. The only downside is B,C & D can all sound the same over the radio when you have your mask on.

<< This is just a brief overview there are many different strategies to fighting fires some work some don't ymmv >>

Last edited:
You should check out a show called Fire Call, it is made monthly by Sioux Falls Fire Rescue, and your question about the A,B,C,D sides is answered in the newest one. It can be found at siouxfalls.org/fire.aspx, I think. Once their just click on watch fire call and view it.

I always wondered why not call the north side of the structure the "north", the south side the "south, and so on. Seems less confusing.

N

nec208

UOTE=Rochound2003]First off a truck is a ladder truck, an engine is the pumper ( there is also a Quint which is a combination of the ladder and engine).

Yes looking at the clips New York City,Baltimore, Los Angeles so on , seems to like ladder trucks or tiller trucks.Well the suburbs do not seem to like them but go with the Quint trucks.

Here is one of the trucks or ladder trucks
http://www.lcusd.net/pcy/Fire/Ladder_truck.gif
http://www.massfiretrucks.com/Haverhill_Ladder_1.jpg
http://www.cityofgulfbreeze.com/images/ladder truck.JPG

Here is the Quint .
http://www.oaklandmaine.us/vertical...ds/{12EC0253-85D1-4A47-AA08-BDA1AF465CDF}.JPG

Traditionally the truck crew is responsible for search and rescue and ventilation. The engine crew is responsible for putting water on the fire. The reason the first due engine goes interior first with water is that the best way to save people is to get the fire put out. If the truck arrives first they will head in to do search and rescue.

So who sets up a water supply?And are they allow to go in by them self?

Once the engine crew gets a hose inside the truck crew will work in conjunction providing ventilation to the roof to clear out the smoke and heat so the engine crew can work easier. every fire company has variations of how they do things as well as the type of equipment they use, usually due to specific conditions they have in their district.
So they open the roof up from the in side or out side?

As to the sides of the building being named it is so people inside and outside can keep tract of where they are on the scene. If a firefighter gets in trouble inside he and he radios he is at a window in the B,C corner on the second floor the rescue team (RIT team) would know right where he is. My understanding of it is A is front then you go to the left around the building so B would be the left side of the building when facing the A side, C would be the rear and D would be the right side respectively on a four sided building. The A,B,C,D thing is new here in the east we used to call side 1,2,3,4, but NIMS standards wanted to use numbers for floors so letters were chosen for sides. The only downside is B,C & D can all sound the same over the radio when you have your mask on.
<< This is just a brief overview there are many different strategies to fighting fires some work some don't ymmv >>[/QUOTE]

Or they could just say in front of the building or in the back.Or right side or left side of the building.

Last edited:
ABCD easier than just saying the letters, say Alpha, Bravo, Charlie Delta, then for floors Division 1 and Division 2 and so on. its a simple system really

mdulrich

Premium Subscriber
car2back said:
I always wondered why not call the north side of the structure the "north", the south side the "south, and so on. Seems less confusing.
It's not always easy to tell which is north, but it is always easy to tell which is the front. Also what do you do when the house faces southwest?

Mike

moustache said:
You should check out a show called Fire Call, it is made monthly by Sioux Falls Fire Rescue, and your question about the A,B,C,D sides is answered in the newest one. It can be found at siouxfalls.org/fire.aspx, I think. Once their just click on watch fire call and view it.
Pretty Cool site, Great Idea and ya gotta love the budget and crew............Hoser

mdulrich said:
It's not always easy to tell which is north, but it is always easy to tell which is the front. Also what do you do when the house faces southwest?

Mike
Call me... whatever, but in my run area I could remember which way was north :wink: IF the front faces southwest, call it the southwest side! :lol: I still say it's easier that trying to remember what letter or number means what. To each their own I guess.

mdulrich

Premium Subscriber
car2back said:
Call me... whatever, but in my run area I could remember which way was north :wink: IF the front faces southwest, call it the southwest side! :lol:
I know which way is north, but obviously not everyone is as gifted as we are. There are lots of residential areas in my area that don't have streets running north and south and east and west and curve around what seems like endlessly. At night it is easy to get confused.

car2back said:
I still say it's easier that trying to remember what letter or number means what. To each their own I guess.
I learned the alphabet and how to count years ago and remembering A,B,C,D, what is clockwise, and 1,2,3,4 isn't too much of a challenge for me. ;)

The whole idea with NIMS is to have a common way for everyone to name things. You can be blindfolded and put in front of a strange building anywhere and it is the A side.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.