FDNY Admin. Talk Groups

Status
Not open for further replies.

apsyms

Hey everyone!
(This is going to be my first post here, so please excuse any ignorance regarding the following)
So I am aware that, in order to listen to FDNY's administrative talk groups, one needs a scanner that is capable of inputting the specific DEC. However, I have no idea where to even begin looking for such a scanner! I just recently got into scanning/radios, especially since my job (I'm an EMT at a volunteer ambulance corps.) requires I understand at least some of what goes on. My question, then, is what would be a good scanner to use to listen to FDNY's talk groups?
While I don't want this thread to be a 'recommend me a scanner' (I've already searched the forums and found plenty of those), it would be helpful if the scanner was under 200 dollars.

Thanks for any and all help!

-Andrew

Darkstar350

The FDNY admin talkgroups are on the NYC "DOIT" 800mhz system which is a Motorola type trunk system
You will need a scanner that is Motorola trunk and narrowband capable
Any of the newer (dosent have to be brand new) Radioshack or Unidens should be capable
The challenge is however - finding one under 200 bucks
Definitely try Ebay or look around various radio sites(this site included) and you may get a deal on a used but decent working condition trunking scanner...

Kb2Jpd

Hey everyone!

(This is going to be my first post here, so please excuse any ignorance regarding the following)

So I am aware that, in order to listen to FDNY's administrative talk groups, one needs a scanner that is capable of inputting the specific DEC. However, I have no idea where to even begin looking for such a scanner! I just recently got into scanning/radios, especially since my job (I'm an EMT at a volunteer ambulance corps.) requires I understand at least some of what goes on. My question, then, is what would be a good scanner to use to listen to FDNY's talk groups?

While I don't want this thread to be a 'recommend me a scanner' (I've already searched the forums and found plenty of those), it would be helpful if the scanner was under 200 dollars.

Thanks for any and all help!

-Andrew

I once owned a 800 radio programmed for the city's 800. FDNY doesn't use it much. In the past they used it for 911 and it couldn't get into some of the buildings here in the city. They then delegated the system to fleet services and other administrative agencies. As in other trunking systems, some agencies just get on and yak and yak and yak. The majority of other traffic there is MTA and other city agencies.

FDNY have Motorola cellphones that go back and forth between trunking and cellular. The supervisors have them.

tbendick

Premium Subscriber
I once owned a 800 radio programmed for the city's 800. FDNY doesn't use it much. In the past they used it for 911 and it couldn't get into some of the buildings here in the city. They then delegated the system to fleet services and other administrative agencies. As in other trunking systems, some agencies just get on and yak and yak and yak. The majority of other traffic there is MTA and other city agencies.

FDNY have Motorola cellphones that go back and forth between trunking and cellular. The supervisors have them.

FDNY is very active on trunked, just not for dispatch.
You want something that can so uhf and 800 trunked.

blaze

Premium Subscriber
In particular, for FDNY you especially want to program the UHF DoITT system, not just the 800 system. The various FDNY "division" talk groups (which are on UHF) are used to rebroadcast the fireground channel traffic for major jobs. This allows you to listen to the tactical chatter even when you're out of range of the operation.

Status
Not open for further replies.