FDNY confusion?

Status
Not open for further replies.

auxscan

Okay I know the old system was on VHF but are the firefighters Transmiting on VHF Repeaters or the UHF Repeaters. I'd assume there transmiting on the UHF since they always use their UHF fireground 486.1125 frequency. the last time I looked at a Firefighters belt i saw some kind of motorola xts series porable radio. can any one confirmed this? and confirme if they're transmiting on the UHF repeaters?

tbendick

Premium Subscriber
We are not using the new UHF system yet. Also the radios we carry on our person are not used to talk to the dispatcher. Only repeaters used by a us are subways and hi-rise. Talking to the dispatcher is done from the rig radio.

auxscan

We are not using the new UHF system yet. Also the radios we carry on our person are not used to talk to the dispatcher. Only repeaters used by a us are subways and hi-rise. Talking to the dispatcher is done from the rig radio.

so the radio in the truck is a VHF radio but the radios on your belt are UHF radios used for fireground simplex and repeater operation is used for subway and hi-rise? please correct me if i get wrong.

and btw what kind of xts series radios are you guys using?

tbendick

Premium Subscriber
Yes truck radios are VHF

Radios on our person are UHF xts-3500R
Repeater operation is limited to Subways and some hi-rise buildings which have the repeaters installed.
It's only for talking from one FF to another.

n2nov

Give it some time. They'll switch over soon enough to the UHF dispatch freqs.

OTOH, this morning there seems to be a FDNY Division 11 (western Brooklyn) drill on the UHF trunked system TGs 4816 and 4832 (Special Events 1 and 2).

n2nov

It seems to be an annual Passover thing for the "burning of the bread" that the units are dispatched to various intersections in Jewish neighborhoods in Brooklyn to make sure that the fires don't get too big because people had been burning more than bread in the past.

Status
Not open for further replies.