FDNY questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
MDC is not muted. What you hear over 482.x is what they hear on the consoles. Remember that the audio from the field units you hear is them transmitting on the mobile frequencies, which are "mixed" into the base station output (full duplex, not a true repeater). If the dispatcher keys up with the mixer on while a unit is transmitting, you will hear the mobile audio coming out of the console speaker through the dispatcher's mic, as opposed to the "clean" audio mixed into the output. This is true with any 4-wire setup, which allows the dispatcher to transmit without stepping on a mobile that might be transmitting, and allowing the dispatcher to hear that mobile's transmission even while the dispatcher might be talking out.

Clear as mud, right? ;)

Danny37

MDC is not muted. What you hear over 482.x is what they hear on the consoles. Remember that the audio from the field units you hear is them transmitting on the mobile frequencies, which are "mixed" into the base station output (full duplex, not a true repeater). If the dispatcher keys up with the mixer on while a unit is transmitting, you will hear the mobile audio coming out of the console speaker through the dispatcher's mic, as opposed to the "clean" audio mixed into the output. This is true with any 4-wire setup, which allows the dispatcher to transmit without stepping on a mobile that might be transmitting, and allowing the dispatcher to hear that mobile's transmission even while the dispatcher might be talking out.

Clear as mud, right? ;)

Somewhat haha, I think someone in the background had their own personal portable cause I heard that short chirp like PD has. Assuming they set it up to DOS.

cackis

Premium Subscriber
While they never gave us an idea on how they planned to use it, Citywide 2 is in fact in our APX8000's. We also now have CW3 and CW4 which are P25 encrypted channels on the Doitt Dars System which I believe are strapped but would have to double check.

Danny37

While they never gave us an idea on how they planned to use it, Citywide 2 is in fact in our APX8000's. We also now have CW3 and CW4 which are P25 encrypted channels on the Doitt Dars System which I believe are strapped but would have to double check.

Is it indeed on the trunked system or P25 conventional? One way to confirm if it's trunked, is that the rssi will continuously show the signal strength.

Danny37

Are the subway frequencies programmed for channels 14 & 15 out of service. It seems that they just use TAC 1 or CMD 1 on subway runs.

DylanMadigan

1 - In our FD on long island, the commanding officer(s) have one radio on the channel that hits a repeater and can get back to dispatch and other responding units, and one on the fireground channel which is direct and i believe low power (so you dont interfere with another scene across town). I'd assume that's whats going on there.

cackis

Premium Subscriber
Are the subway frequencies programmed for channels 14 & 15 out of service. It seems that they just use TAC 1 or CMD 1 on subway runs.

They work. For routine calls HT-1 is used almost all of the time and a relay established if need be. Subway repeater use normally established by the battalion at man unders or other working or prolonged incidents at least up in the BX.

newsnick175

Premium Subscriber
Fireground channels [simplex] are re-broadcast on the DOITT system so the bosses down town can monitor and are probably recorded for the record. The comms are picked up by a radio in a chief's car at the scene, and re-broadcast on the DOITT system.

Danny37

They work. For routine calls HT-1 is used almost all of the time and a relay established if need be. Subway repeater use normally established by the battalion at man unders or other working or prolonged incidents at least up in the BX.

Thanks for the info. So in an instance where a call is in a subway underground and HT-1 is in use will the people on the street level directly above be able to hear comms from down below? Since its simplex and low powered. Just curious. I'm not talking big terminals and junction stops but like a 1 line train stop for example the IND G stop at Broadway.

cackis

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the info. So in an instance where a call is in a subway underground and HT-1 is in use will the people on the street level directly above be able to hear comms from down below? Since its simplex and low powered. Just curious. I'm not talking big terminals and junction stops but like a 1 line train stop for example the IND G stop at Broadway.
We have a procedure where a truck company spreads out and relays the info back to street level. I'm sure they do it all the time in Manhattan but up by me almost everything is elevated trains so we normally don't need a relay or the subway repeaters.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Danny37

We have a procedure where a truck company spreads out and relays the info back to street level. I'm sure they do it all the time in Manhattan but up by me almost everything is elevated trains so we normally don't need a relay or the subway repeaters.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Awesome, I appreciate your input.

I hope I'm not bugging you but have you ever heard HT-4 through HT-9 used or the UTacs used?

mdsxfire

EDBM
Fireground channels [simplex] are re-broadcast on the DOITT system so the bosses down town can monitor and are probably recorded for the record. The comms are picked up by a radio in a chief's car at the scene, and re-broadcast on the DOITT system.

Which TG are the simplex foreground channels re broadcast on the DOitt system?
I’m close enough to pick up that system but too far to get anything not repeated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Danny37

Which TG are the simplex foreground channels re broadcast on the DOitt system?
I’m close enough to pick up that system but too far to get anything not repeated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Under NYC Doitt UHF, if the division chief is onscene you'll hear it under the presiding FDNY division talk groups

4496 FDNY DIV 1

4512 FDNY DIV 3

4528 FDNY DIV 6

4544 FDNY DIV 7

4560 FDNY DIV 8

4576 FDNY Div 11

4592 FDNY DIV 13

4608 FDNY Div 14

4624 FDNY Div 15

Division Chart https://www.ufoa.org/linkfiles/file00000255.pdf

Last edited:
Status