• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

FEMA to take over mass care role formerly held by Red Cross

Status
Not open for further replies.
FEMA needs to straighten out itself before taking on additional tasks to handle, They Made the mess of Katrina, not the red cross. They spent billions on trailers that weren't fit to house people, to mention 1 major screw up, How did the Red Cross do wrong? Every disaster Ive ever seen the Red Cross is there long before FEMA. JUST My 2 cents........Hoser

Thayne

Premium Subscriber
Here we go again. Another bureaucratic bunghole.
The Red cross steals the money outright, the Govt. makes a job out of it.;)

LEH

Premium Subscriber
To measure the Red Cross as a failure against Katrina is absurd. The sheer magnitude of the disaster would have overwhelmed any organization.

When Hurricane Isabel struck Virginia in 2002, FEMA was as big a disaster as the storm itself.

Where is that thread about DHS being overstaffed and over-budgeted for what they produce? I think this is just a subsection of it! :D

Zaratsu

Premium Subscriber
Hah! even better reason to be prepared if you live in a disaster-prone area. Something tells me that we'd be better off with the red-cross or a pack of cub scouts in a disaster.

Hi, we're from the government, and we're here to help you.

Don't forget, FEMA needs federal authorization to act. The Red Cross, Boy Scouts, Baptist Men, Salvation Army, and other volunteer groups don't.

And, the Coast Guard is the only federal organization that does not need federal authorization to respond in case of an emergency or disaster. That is Order Number One.

Zaratsu

Premium Subscriber
bpckty1 said:
Hi, we're from the government, and we're here to help you.

Don't forget, FEMA needs federal authorization to act. The Red Cross, Boy Scouts, Baptist Men, Salvation Army, and other volunteer groups don't.

And, the Coast Guard is the only federal organization that does not need federal authorization to respond in case of an emergency or disaster. That is Order Number One.

better stock up on marine band radios set to ch16

by the time you have to call the coast guard, they will be under command of the navy.

iMONITOR

Premium Subscriber
First FEMA tries to keep amateur radio volunteers out of their business, not they want to do the same with the Red Cross. I find it odd that in times when we need all the help we can get, FEMA appears to be alienating some of the few sources of help we had.

The Red Cross has an equally large, wasteful, and abhorrent organization that has no accountability whatever to anyone. Like any emergency response group, they have their value but carry too much overhead and bureaucratic baggage that we can live without. Salvation Army and other faith-based organizations are far easier to deal with. From first hand response experience over the years, there is a lot about ARC that I choose to do without and organizations that I much prefer to work closely with when the bananas hit the blades of the fan.

Zaratsu

Premium Subscriber
elk2370bruce said:
The Red Cross has an equally large, wasteful, and abhorrent organization that has no accountability whatever to anyone. Like any emergency response group, they have their value but carry too much overhead and bureaucratic baggage that we can live without. Salvation Army and other faith-based organizations are far easier to deal with. From first hand response experience over the years, there is a lot about ARC that I choose to do without and organizations that I much prefer to work closely with when the bananas hit the blades of the fan.

I could care less who your organization wants to communicate with. If I'm caught in the fanblade scenario, I do not want anything to do with FEMA. Especially if it is not a total-chaos disaster. Lets just say a "normal" disaster without the Katrina-esque end-of-life-as-we-know-it scenario. Like one of the any dozens of hurricanes that have hit the eastern US over the past 40 years and civilization remained normal. I will go to the red cross if I need help.

wrr20891

Premium Subscriber
I also found faith based organizations better organized and get the job done.

A few years ago, Red Cross was requested to help with a large Search and Rescue operation. They came late one night with 2 coolers full of Burger King hamburgers, said their resources were exhausted and left. A faith based organization came the next morning and brought a full field kitchen and fed everyone at least 3 meals a day for 2 days, at no charge what-so-ever.

Might have been an isolated incident, but I appreciated the faith based organization and was much more impressed with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.