Ferret 8 band antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fast1eddie

I have usedthe mobile antenna and have been extremely pleased with the performance, however the center contact tab is a known weakness and mine broke. Think if I had the space I would go with a Ferret, but I understand the reception dramatically falls off outside of the design frequencies.

dlwtrunked

Premium Subscriber
Has anyone used a Ferret 8 band antenna? Are they worth the high price?

I tried the Rerret base one about 1990. It rattled inside and my discone did better. I thought there was something wrong with it. Talking with the company back then was no help. I took it apart and then threw it away.

I do like their handheld Condor scanner antenna though.

ko6jw_2

Premium Subscriber
I have the Spectra mobile and have had good luck with it. The Condor I bought years ago and was never very impressed. I've looked at the Ferret seriously several times, but never could bring myself to spend the money. Never seen a really good review and it is very expensive.

questnz

Get Omni-X or Diamond D130 Di scone for outdoor and Larsen or Laird for the vehicle.

RRR

Premium Subscriber
The mobile version does ok, but that tin center NMO contact (basically a piece of aluminum pull tab) is plain junk. It will easily break with just a few remounts. Extremely difficult to attempt to install something else in it's place for a suitable center contact after it does.

It's shining light is "great low band reception"

......Take that for what it's worth......

And also, everyone that sells them expressly states "No returns on this item"

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
The mobile version does ok, but that tin center NMO contact (basically a piece of aluminum pull tab) is plain junk. It will easily break with just a few remounts. Extremely difficult to attempt to install something else in it's place for a suitable center contact after it does.

It's shining light is "great low band reception"

......Take that for what it's worth......

And also, everyone that sells them expressly states "No returns on this item"

You can't really judge or compare the Ferret with the Spectra or Condor. There is absolutely nothing even similar in design or performance between them.

The Ferret is like putting a bunch of antenna elements/parts in a blender then pour out the pieces and solder them all together in a long string! Maybe they should feature it on the show! :roll:

Will It Blend?
Will It Blend? | Presented by Blendtec

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Very often a multi-band antenna doesn't even meet the specific needs of the buyer. Typically they make claims of covering a broad range of frequencies, but might omit railroad and marine and VHF/Lo bands completely. Often they perform poorly in the 700-900MHz range. Something like the Ferret is like a giant RF noise collector, feeding unwanted strong RF interference from FM broadcast bands, pagers, ham radio, cellular towers, etc into your scanner often resulting in overloading and desensitizing its performance significantly.

You might want to consider buying two or three antennas and bringing them into your house on a single coax using a 'true' diplexer, or triplexer.

mule1075

Feed Provider
You might want to consider buying two or three antennas and bringing them into your house on a single coax using a 'true' diplexer, or triplexer.

No need for me at this time the OP might want to look at that option. I use the OmniX for my needs also have a channelmaster 5094a for a backup if needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.