Ferry Ship COHO from Port Angeles to Victoria

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hearken

Premium Subscriber
Was just wondering, if the Ship that runs from Port Angeles to Victoria BC, is that ship part of the British Columbia Ferries property? Or is this ship a independent company? I believe they are called Black Ball Ferries. The actual ship is called COHO. Just curious if they are licensed from the USA or Canada, or both?

unlisted

Not a bc ferry vessel.
Unsure what you mean by licensed however they are a US registered company and ferry. They just have a terminal in Victoria with a US CBP pre-inspection (preclearance) area.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Was just wondering, if the Ship that runs from Port Angeles to Victoria BC, is that ship part of the British Columbia Ferries property? Or is this ship a independent company? I believe they are called Black Ball Ferries. The actual ship is called COHO. Just curious if they are licensed from the USA or Canada, or both?

They would likely need to hold station and mobile licenses in both Canada and USA if they use LMR frequencies for non-marine operations comms.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø

MV Coho is run by Black Ball Transport Inc, based out of Seattle WA. The ships port of registry is Seattle. Licensing would be through the FCC, although their land based operations in Victoria likely uses radio and would be licensed in Canada.
The FCC license for Black Ball Transport Inc. is at ULS License - Ship Compulsory Equipped License - WM4599 - BLACK BALL TRANSPORT INC

WM4599 is the currently active call sign under "Compulsory Equipped Ship"

I've taken that trip a few times. Nice ride, although cutting across the Strait of Juan De Fuca can be a bit harsh for those not accustomed to being at sea. "Strait of Juan De Puke-a" was often used by my USCG buddies that spent too much time close to shore.

Status
Not open for further replies.