• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

fhp secret police

Status
Not open for further replies.

abbadabbado

so now the secret police alais florida highway patrol have taisered a women an now she is in a coma but you never hered that on your scanner check out baynews9.com

n2hbx

Premium Subscriber
No pity here. She was in custody and attempted to escape. Nobody wants to claim any responsibility for their actions...it's always somebody else's fault. She was scared....awwwwww. She wasn't so scared as to not do what got her into that predicament in the first place, was she? She wasn't herself. What was she? Doped up beyond belief? I've seen the proverbial 98 pound weaklings turn into the Hulk when they're cranked up. Took seven of us to tie one like that to a gurney one night to take him to the hospital.

Boo-freakin'-hoo.

Crawl back under your rock, troll.

Larry

kayn1n32008

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.600 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

FFPM571 said:
Secret police? No one would have heard it anyway arent they are encrypted..
Hence calling then the secret police

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.600 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

So how did you find out about this event?

kayn1n32008

rdale said:

So how did you find out about this event?
Relevance?

rdale

Because if they were a secret, you wouldn't know. And if encryption let them do whatever they want without public oversight, it didn't work either.

So all the whining about encryption must not be worthwhile...

tampabaynews

Premium Subscriber
Because if they were a secret, you wouldn't know. And if encryption let them do whatever they want without public oversight, it didn't work either.

So all the whining about encryption must not be worthwhile...
It didn't work this time because there were witnesses.

Not everyone is willing to take on a police department legally, and I don't blame them. This along with encryption makes it easy for departments to get away with certain activities. No complaint, no radio traffic, no media inquiries.... no problem. You think the PIO is going to surrender possible officer misconduct complaints unsolicited?

Not all departments are like this, but from what I've noticed, departments who encrypt usually have a history of engaging in.... interesting activities. The department I worked for is in good standing and doesn't have too many issues, but I will say that I've seen things while I was on the street that really changed the way I view the profession.

It's all about shutting out real time information to the media, giving the PIO enough time to come up with a better and/or sugarcoated story. Radio traffic is raw, candid, and real time unlike incident reports. If the media or public wants to read the report for themselves, it's going to cost them.

For example... recently I requested one incident report, one personnel file, and MDT messages to/from one employee for a 6 hours period. The copying charges were only a few bucks at $0.15 a copy, but the service charge was over $250. I couldn't imagine asking for hours of radio traffic on a CD.

radiomanNJ1

And explain what difference it would have made had you been listening all day to the the FHP talkgroups?

Apparently it was not a secret if it was broadcast on the TV was it?

so now the secret police alais florida highway patrol have taisered a women an now she is in a coma but you never hered that on your scanner check out baynews9.com

grem467

These kind of posts crack me up...

encryption or not, do you think anyone would key up and say "hey joe, watch this im going to taze this woman til shes in a coma!"

i think not!

procopper7005

Premium Subscriber
FHP is not encrypted, its just the type of system the state uses cant be monitored by your scanner.
FHP has nothing to do with the states choice of radio system. Most troopers dont like the system.

This girl who was tasered had escaped custody (a 10 year felony in FL) and was fleeing a station. She is a convicted felon, drug dealer, on probation, and was being charged with multiple felonies by FHP when she tried to escape. She was also out on bond for identity theft and forgery.

She hit her head when she fell. Maybe she shouldnt have dedicated herself to a life of crime and committed felonies with her vehicle then tried to escape.

Last edited:

procopper7005

Premium Subscriber
These kind of posts crack me up...

encryption or not, do you think anyone would key up and say "hey joe, watch this im going to taze this woman til shes in a coma!"

i think not!
She was tasered while running out of the station, got up after she broke the taser leads, then fell and hit her head on a sidewalk.

A taser is just 8 AA batteries, its doesnt put people in comas.

procopper7005

Premium Subscriber
It didn't work this time because there were witnesses.

Not everyone is willing to take on a police department legally, and I don't blame them. This along with encryption makes it easy for departments to get away with certain activities. No complaint, no radio traffic, no media inquiries.... no problem. You think the PIO is going to surrender possible officer misconduct complaints unsolicited?

Not all departments are like this, but from what I've noticed, departments who encrypt usually have a history of engaging in.... interesting activities. The department I worked for is in good standing and doesn't have too many issues, but I will say that I've seen things while I was on the street that really changed the way I view the profession.

It's all about shutting out real time information to the media, giving the PIO enough time to come up with a better and/or sugarcoated story. Radio traffic is raw, candid, and real time unlike incident reports. If the media or public wants to read the report for themselves, it's going to cost them.

For example... recently I requested one incident report, one personnel file, and MDT messages to/from one employee for a 6 hours period. The copying charges were only a few bucks at $0.15 a copy, but the service charge was over $250. I couldn't imagine asking for hours of radio traffic on a CD.
The law says the can charge you for the time it takes the lowest paid clerk to retrieve the information you requested.
Ive requested much more than this in other states like GA and TX and Ive never paid more than $150 bucks. Radio traffic takes about 15 minutes and 1 CD to burn hours. MDT traffic pay require a higher paid IT person to retrieve who knows.
Sometimes its how you word your request as it may be far to broad.

tampabaynews

Premium Subscriber
MDT traffic pay require a higher paid IT person to retrieve who knows.
Ah but when I was with dispatch, I could pull up and run searches for specific MDT messages in just seconds and print. The agency that I requested the records from uses the same system.

ff-medic

Banned
The Appalachians - Next to the tent and campfire.
FHP is not encrypted, its just the type of system the state uses cant be monitored by your scanner.
FHP has nothing to do with the states choice of radio system. Most troopers dont like the system.

This girl who was tasered had escaped custody (a 10 year felony in FL) and was fleeing a station. She is a convicted felon, drug dealer, on probation, and was being charged with multiple felonies by FHP when she tried to escape. She was also out on bond for identity theft and forgery.

She hit her head when she fell. Maybe she shouldnt have dedicated herself to a life of crime and committed felonies with her vehicle then tried to escape.

Is it not entirely possible, that the drugs in her system ; along with being tasered is what killed her ; INSTEAD of the tazer alone? Hmmmmmmmm.

FF - Medic !!!

ff-medic

Banned
The Appalachians - Next to the tent and campfire.
She was tasered while running out of the station, got up after she broke the taser leads, then fell and hit her head on a sidewalk.

A taser is just 8 AA batteries, its doesnt put people in comas.
Depending on physical underlying causes and other medical / physical factors it may. It may , also induce a lethal cardiac dysrhythemia. It may be just 8 AA batterys ; but as I understand they are about 50,000 volts. That is alot of voltage.

Comply with the Law Enforemcent officers orders, don't be physcially or verbally provacative, don't be violent..and you won't get tased. It is as simple as that.

FF - Medic !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.