Filled to capacity?

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

DaveNF2G

Has RR.com reached the limit of its server and bandwidth capacity?

I am getting frequent connection resets from the server while pages are loading.

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
I checked all our monitoring systems and nothing abnormal is being reported and we haven't been alerted to any issues whatsoever. We're seeing normal traffic for this time of day, and server response times are currently at 588 milliseconds.

All the Web and database servers are humming along nicely with low load averages.

D

DaveNF2G

The excessive timeouts have been going on for a couple of weeks. It started before the most recent upgrades. In fact, I just had one a couple of minutes ago.

apd3190

Im getting the same thing Dave. Pages taking forever to load. Thought it was a computer issue until you mentioned the same problem.

OCO

Dave : Not sure if you or others are still having issues, but I had a problem a couple of years ago with a website/forum I'm active on. The symptoms were parts of a page not loading, slow loads, etc. It was an issue for just a few users, so I figured it could be either a PC or network issue. I could duplicate the problem on about five PCs in the house, so I started looking at possible network issues (keeping in mind that the network path from a website to the host PC is different in some way in almost every instance). A slight difference in latency is enough to introduce the problem as I outlined in this entry on the other forum:

In laymen terms, many routers have settings to prevent various types of attacks from taking place, including something called "SYN floods", which can look like a large number of incomplete TCP or UDP sessions coming from the same host (server in this case). Keep in mind that each image (and other components) in a web page that is being downloaded to your browser is considered a separate session and is incomplete until the download of that image is finished.. Many routers are configured to kill incomplete sessions over a maximum, quite often with a default setting of 10 sessions. If the page has more images and network latency is a little above average, you could start seeing dropped images.

It is possible that someplace between your site and the RR servers is a router with maximum incomplete sessions set to a lower number . It could be the router in your house, your ISP or ?? A change in the website, or just something introducing a higher than normal end to end transit time can show up as the above noted issue. Just a thought.....

Gerry

D

DaveNF2G

I think I've figured out at least one cause of the problem.

Per Wayne's suggestion I had installed Ghostery a while ago. Since then, something managed to install the Yahoo! Toolbar onto my system. Ghostery will not work when the Toolbar is installed. The latest Firefox upgrade to 7.0.1 disabled the Yahoo! Toolbar because of incompatibility, so now Ghostery is working again and I am not seeing page timeouts at RR.com.

OCO

Adobe Flash update, Adobe Reader, Java runtime update are a few of the installs that include the Yahoo toolbar if you don't opt for a custom install. If the toolbar still has the popup blocker like it did a couple of years ago, that could have been the source of the issue. Glad you got it fixed..

Thayne

Not to change the subject much, but has anyone else noticed that after Microsoft sends the "Malicious software removal" file every month that adobe always wants to update flash player very soon after? Also Java.

OCO

There isn't a connection - it's just everyone has a release cycle - Microsoft's is the most structured, with "patch tuesday" while all the rest seem to be based on how critical the latest exploit is..

Status
Not open for further replies.