• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

film production walkie talkies frequency list or scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

douglascarley

i got a new phone that has a walkie talkie function. i'm hoping to be able to program it to whatever frequency the film production i'm on is using. is there a list of registered frequencies or perhaps better is there an android application or some piece of hardware i can get to scan for the frequency so that i can then program my phone?

alcahuete

Premium Subscriber
Is it just a normal phone with a walkie talkie app, like Zello or such? If so, the two are not at all related and is not going to have any way of talking to the radios.

What model # phone is it?

I have several friends involved with production, and they use anywhere from VHF to UHF to 800 MHz. It just depends. Some production companies have their own radios, some rent, etc. They are all in the business bands.

SteveSimpkin

Premium Subscriber
As Alcahuete says it is most likely a Push-To-Talk over Cellular (PTToC) function which uses the carriers cellular network to provide a quick voice path to multiple listeners. If so this is nothing like a walkie-talkie and you can't use it to communicate with other radios.

douglascarley

i have a blackview 9500 pro.
it can use frs and gmrs.

thanks for the information. so i guess it won't work for every production but for those that lie in the frequency range i can use i would like to still pursue any viable options listed in my original question.

n1das

i got a new phone that has a walkie talkie function. i'm hoping to be able to program it to whatever frequency the film production i'm on is using. is there a list of registered frequencies or perhaps better is there an android application or some piece of hardware i can get to scan for the frequency so that i can then program my phone?
What make and model of phone?
This could tell us a lot.

Sent from my XP8800 using Tapatalk

KB7MIB

What make & model of phone do you have, and what make & model of phone does the production company have? Or are they using real two-way radios?

If it's an app on their phones, you need to download the app and sync it with the rest of the company.

If they're using something proprietary to their phones, you need to get the same make & model of phone.

If they're using a real two-way radio, you need to ask for one, or buy the same or similar, and have it programmed identically.

John
Peoria, AZ

kma371

QRT
THREE people have asked what model phone he has. Can't people just be patient and wait until he responds?

n1das

He answered it at 8:18 yesterday. "blackview 9500 pro"

According to their website, it covers 400-470 MHz, which plenty of productions use.
Oops, missed that one yesterday. Too much 900MHz DTRs on the mind. :)

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
i have a blackview 9500 pro.
it can use frs and gmrs.

thanks for the information. so i guess it won't work for every production but for those that lie in the frequency range i can use i would like to still pursue any viable options listed in my original question.

Try 464.500 and 464.550.
Those are two common itinerant frequencies. We had a production team nearby a few months ago. They were all out of Los Angeles. Those two frequencies were heavily used.

n1das

Try 464.500 and 464.550.
Those are two common itinerant frequencies. We had a production team nearby a few months ago. They were all out of Los Angeles. Those two frequencies were heavily used.
Also try the following frequencies:

These are popular frequencies in addition to 464.5000 and 464.5500.

ecps92

Also will vary, based on who/where rented and what is already in use by local users.

Here is a good list of what we have found here in New England since the early 2000's :D

Movie Productions - Scan New England Wiki

Also try the following frequencies:

These are popular frequencies in addition to 464.5000 and 464.5500.

douglascarley

thanks everyone!! i think some of the confusion about my delay in response is because i'm a brand new user and have to have my replies approved by moderators. i'll definitely try those frequencies and see what luck i get.

i would love some input on hardware that could scan for the frequencies nearby. i found some things in amazon that seem to be what i'm thinking of but i don't want to waste money.

if i may ask another question that i think will get a "no" answer, might it be possible to do something to modify my phone to receive frequencies or of the 400-470 range?

D

DaveNF2G

I think people are also confused by the use of the word "phone" to describe the device.

n1das

It's a portable UHF radiotelephone according to FCC terminology used many years ago. Does the FCC still use the term "radiotelephone" anymore?? Cell phones are referred to as Cellular Subscriber Equipment in the FCC's rules.
:)

D

DaveNF2G

This Chinese device apparently has no FCC ID. Caveat emptor. Again.

bryan_herbert

Premium Subscriber
The most common film production freqs in LA are ch1 173. 375MHz, ch2 173.275MHz, ch3 173.225MHz, ch4 173. 325MHz.

These freqs were stripped from film production about 15 years ago for federal use. Film production now uses business band freqs between 150 - 160 MHz and 450 - 470 MHz. Bearcom usually programs production radios with 464 - 469 MHz freqs with 464.5000 and 464.5500 being most commonly used for Base Camp or Cueing.

Status
Not open for further replies.