Finally going to get the Home Patrol

Status
Not open for further replies.

McP

After enjoying my 996XT, 396XT and 15X, I've just ordered a Home Patrol that should be here tomorrow. I'll do my searching and reading in the forums to avoid same questions over and over.

However, as a new user I plan on upgrading to the Extreme Upgrade. My goal is to have my HP alpha tagged like I have my 996, 396.... tagged. I assume the Extreme Upgrade is one of the things I will need for that...... When I ordered the scanner, I had the option to purchase the ARC software for the Home Patrol. Is this recommended also or should I stick with the Extreme Upgrade?

Any other suggestions to avoid any mistakes made in the past once I start unboxing the unit?

rwier

I don't remember how the Extreme upgrade related to the Sentinel upgrade (not sure if Sentinel required additional payment). The "New" Sentinel is now a much more useful software then the original. That said, I still use Arc Patrol more minutes/month than I use Sentinel. Maybe I just got used to it.

Now, a few of y'all that are keeping a watch on me will undoubtedly ask "What do YOU find better about the "New Senitnel?" Save your breath, I won't even try to answer.

Rob

OCO

Nice stable of radios.....
I would get to know and understand the differences in how this radio is programmed from your others first. Understanding that you do not modify anything in the master database that is loaded to the HP1, but instead select from it, build lists of systems in Favorites and make all of your changes there is probably the first concept to understand. If you are using Sentinel to build and modify, it will have its own copy of the Master DB on your PC, but you'll be copying the Favorites and Profiles between the HP1 and the PC.

If you order ArcPatrol, I'd consider setting it aside until you are familiar with the programming using Sentinel. Uniden made quite a few improvements with the Version 2 of Sentinel; there is not quite the immediate need to move on to ARCPatrol until you're ready for some heavy duty editing...I use both now, but think I confused things at first trying to get to know both at the same time.

As far as I can see, you should be able to edit tags using Sentinel without the Extreme edition. One of the little problems I have now is sorting out which features are available where, as I did the update and the upgrade at the same time. UPMan has split the new User manuals to match, but there are a lot more examples in the Extreme manual, mainly to show how to create and edit from the HP1 itself. I make on-the-fly changes in the HP1, but use the PC for creating the big favorites.

Have fun and ask questions!

Viper43

With the update Sentinel will do everything that you need, so save the $$ on Arc. And it's free and part of the update. The Sentinel software will only allow the upgrade items if it detects the HP has been upgraded.

rwier

................................................................................................. Understanding that you do not modify anything in the master database that is loaded to the HP1, but instead select from it, build lists of systems in Favorites and make all of your changes there is probably the first concept to understand. ...............................................................................................................
Have fun and ask questions!

Great answer, old! The part left above, I believe, should be the First Commandment of the HP-1. The Second? I vote for "Start by clicking on the yellow star with the little pencil."

McP

Nice stable of radios.....
I would get to know and understand the differences in how this radio is programmed from your others first. Understanding that you do not modify anything in the master database that is loaded to the HP1, but instead select from it, build lists of systems in Favorites and make all of your changes there is probably the first concept to understand. If you are using Sentinel to build and modify, it will have its own copy of the Master DB on your PC, but you'll be copying the Favorites and Profiles between the HP1 and the PC.

Excellent advice, thank you! I'll start with Sentinel and build my lists in my favorites and then edit those later! Can this editing be done via the PC and sent back to the HP via Sentinel?

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Yes, that would be the fastest way (and easiest, since you can see more on a PC display at once).

Additionally, the Extreme Upgrade would allow you to edit channels (not just move them to Favorites Lists) in the unit itself.

You can see what else the Extreme Upgrade would add at:

HomePatrolExtreme < HomePatrol < TWiki

McP

The HP arrived and I've already got it set up with the update on Sentinel and Firmware. I've entered my zip code and already scanning the local channels. I've specified the specific channels that I want to listen to in order to hopefully build my Favorites list. For now, it will be just law enforcement.

I assume there is a quick way to get all the channels I want into my favorites, even ones that are quiet, but I'll have to read up on that.

UPMan, you mention the Extreme Upgrade would allow me to edit the master database. Since I will be doing the upgrade to Extreme anyways, would that be faster for me to locate all the agencies I want on the PC in Sentinel and start editing to move back to the HP?

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Not the master database, only Favorites Lists. (Editing the Master dB would be very frustrating, as all your edits would disappear every time you Updated Master HPDB in Sentinel.)

It would be fastest to use Sentinel to create and update your Favorites Lists. While you can do that in HomePatrol (even w/o the upgrade you can manage Favorites Lists...just can't add new or edit existing ones), the larger screen and layout on a PC are much easier.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
BTW: Insteresting contrast between your experience and a competing product, where the new user was delighted to be scanning only 3 hours after taking it out of the box.

McP

Ah, I think I got it now! I've been so used to my 996XT, 396XT and 15X using FreeScan.

I was trying to create my Favorites list in the HP itself, so I figured I'd be here forever! So if I understand you correctly, I can go into Sentinel and create my Favorite list there and start moving stuff from the Master DB to the Favorite and then edit it there and move it to the HP.?.

Thanks again for your help and to everyone else. I've been researching some other posts as well as the YouTube videos.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Exactly. Move channels you want into Favorites Lists. Then, if you want to edit alpha description, add channels, etc, click on the star with pencil icon and edit away. Once you finish, transfer the profile to your HP-1.

McP

Thanks! My experience dwindles instead of gain :) I've had scanners for over 20 years, starting with a old Sears (I think) crystal desktop my dad gave me. Then my first Uniden 800XLT desktop. Problem is, I'd be actively involved and then stop researching until the HP first was coming out. That is when I picked up my currently collection and learned about those & the various software.

Once again, the help is appreciated and I look forward to getting the HP all set up and familiar with it!

McP

So far everything is going smoothly with the editing Favorites and moving it over to HP.

I live in one county, but can monitor a neighboring county. I also work in a third county. Would it be beneficial to create each county as a "favorites list" or should everything be in one list? I read in the manual something about creating one favorites list (ie. My Systems).

I'm assuming if I left everything in one favorite list, I would be picking up static as I get out of range of one county that would interfere with listening to the next county. Versus having separate "counties" as individual favorites that I could just switch over to.

Can you monitor more than one list at a time (ie. two counties)?

OCO

You can monitor up to 256 Favorites at a time. I would break the areas up. Keep in mind the location based function also.. If you check the range on the out county systems using the info from the RR database and your home lo0cation does not overlap, you could end up not getting those systems even when you travel within range.... You may want to change those systems to not use location. (you can choose whether to use location by editing the profile , location tab and selecting "yes" or "no" in the location column)

Last edited:

McP

Old.... I click "edit profile" and I see a tab that says "Location Settings" but nothing in that tab that says on or off. There is Lat, Lon, Range (drop down and currently set to 0) and GPS options. Only other location tab I see is while editing favorites and that only lets me change range and circles/rectangles.

Last edited:

OCO

Click on the next tab that says "Favorites lists"....

My error, sorry for the confusion...... Edit Profiles>>Favorites Lists>>Location Control <column>

Last edited:

McP

Ah, found it. Thanks.

Right now I have four counties, each being a favorite. All were already set to "no" on location. So if I select the county I live in and the county I work in to monitor, I should get everything (minus getting out of range as I drive further)?

OCO

Have you read UPMan's blog entry titled "Location Location Location"?..
If you set "yes" in the profile , the HP1 will assume you are at home (or wherever you've set your location) and then look at the combination of the range coverage for the system and whatever you have set as your range on the HP1. If they overlap, the HP1 will include that system in what it scans. If you have set it to "no" for that Favorite and then include it as one of the systems to monitor, it disregards any location information and just scans it . Remember that whether you set a Favorite to monitor or not in the Profile, you can always select it on the HP1 itself (make sure that the download column is set to "on" for all Favorites you want to load into the HP1..

Status
Not open for further replies.