• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

Finding Federal Frequencies [ie Analog/PL Tone?]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Armadillo5

Premium Subscriber
I own a Uniden 796 and I am seeing that the fed's are changing over to P-25. Here is my ?...

For example...If I program let's say 165.2375 analog [Customs] with a PL Tone of 100.0 into my 796 and Customs switches that frequency over to P-25 will I hear the new P-25 over the 165.2375/PL of 100.0 that I originally programed in? Another words, will the new P-25 cancel out the older programed in frequency with PL Tone that is in the scanner. Kinda like an "override".

I thought about posting this under the Uniden forum but I am looking for some fed listener's feedback to see if they have tried this.

I was thinking maybe the scanner might see the difference between a analog frequency in use versus a digital and cancel one out for the other even though it has a PL Tone tied to it.

I hope this makes sense.

MikeMike

Premium Subscriber
I think you'll need to remove the PL/CTSS info...

I believe that in order to hear/decode the P-25 transmissions, you'll need to simply program in the freq without any associated codes. I had a local PD go from conventional to P-25 and wondered why I stopped hearing them. As soon as I removed the 110.9 code from the programming I started hearing them loud and clear just as before but now in P-25 digital.

Hope that helps...

-MikeMike

Armadillo5

Premium Subscriber
I appreciate the help. I was wondering if that was the case. What I find interesting is how when you listen to a P-25 transmission how the squelch is cancelled out until you re-adjust the squelch knob.

This answer does help me understand a little better.

Thank You.

Status
Not open for further replies.