• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

Fire at Oil Refinery in Utah

Status
Not open for further replies.

dic

WOW!

I beat GreatLakes to the post?

There is some sort of fire at a refinery outside of Salt Lake City.

Please raise the price of oil by...let's say 20 cents....because something happened with something to do with oil somewhere.

F the masses:

Signed
The Bush Administration

Zaratsu

Premium Subscriber
Look I'm telling ya guys here right now. Gas station price billboards are the primary economic indicator to the masses. Their stress-level goes up directly in purportion to it. Its Joe Six Pack's Dow Jones Industrial Average or Dow.

iMONITOR

Premium Subscriber
They had to do something to justify the high gas prices. Our dollar is going back up in value, and crude oil started going down. So hey, let's burn a refinery! :p

Go-24

GreatLakes said:
They had to do something to justify the high gas prices. Our dollar is going back up in value, and crude oil started going down. So hey, let's burn a refinery! :p
Yep, hell a few hundred thousand or even a few million dollars in damage is worth it for the billions in profits.

n1das

I'm glad I drive a DIESEL car....45-50 MPG while driving it like I stole it and able to go more than 700 miles between 15-gallon fillups. I pass by gas stations!

iMONITOR

Premium Subscriber
I'm thankful, but find it hard to believe no one was killed, or even hurt. With the exception of some guy across the street that fell off his truck.

z96cobra

dic said:
WOW!

I beat GreatLakes to the post?

There is some sort of fire at a refinery outside of Salt Lake City.

Please raise the price of oil by...let's say 20 cents....because something happened with something to do with oil somewhere.

F the masses:

Signed
The Bush Administration
Wow! Now the Bush Administration is burning down refineries? If you want to make it political, why don't you mention that the Democrats were going to save us as soon as they took over Congress. I guess gas would be $12.85 a gallon now if they weren't in there saving us...

Roger

tbharper

Premium Subscriber
z96cobra said:
Wow! Now the Bush Administration is burning down refineries? If you want to make it political, why don't you mention that the Democrats were going to save us as soon as they took over Congress. I guess gas would be $12.85 a gallon now if they weren't in there saving us...

lmao!!!!! democrats were going to save us know thats funny z96cobra you crack me up!!!

dic

z96cobra said:
Wow! Now the Bush Administration is burning down refineries? If you want to make it political, why don't you mention that the Democrats were going to save us as soon as they took over Congress. I guess gas would be $12.85 a gallon now if they weren't in there saving us..
Roger
Actually z96cobra
I think both sides are equally worthless.
I just think the Republicans are worse.

I HATE being played for a fool, and this administration has played us ALL for fools.
Republican of Democrat, we have been deceived and lied to and manipulated.

I was hoping that both sides would see that and be angry at the Bush administration, but apparently party affiliation sometimes overshadows logic.

I don't want to vote for the Democrats and I don't want to vote for the Republicans, but I have to vote for the lesser of two evils. I think the Republicans have had enough opportunity to hurt us and steal our money and bleed us dry enough over the past 8 years.

I do not feel the Democrats will help us either, but I feel that I must make my feeble attempt to protest being played for a fool.

Dic

dic

And I did not say that I thought the Bush Administration burned down the refinery, I just said I think that they are thrilled that it burned so they have another excuse to bleed us dry.

Dic

dic

GreatLakes said:
I'm thankful, but find it hard to believe no one was killed, or even hurt. With the exception of some guy across the street that fell off his truck.
Isn't that strange?

When do they blame it on terrorism?

Dic

kd7rto

Frequencies???

Of the 5 North Salt Lake refineries, I'm aware of WPKQ662 (moto sys 5735), WPYS240 (LTR), and that Chevron once had an LTR system on 463.3875, 463.5625, 463.5875, 463.7375, and 464.7875 (callsign unknown, nothing found in the FCC ULS database), but I can't find any licenses, conventional or trunked, for Big West or Holly. Does anyone have any better info?

DELCOLHFC

The refinery next door.....................................

O.K. I just read the article......I am a Head Operator at one of the largest oil refineries on the East coast as well as the Deputy Chief at a suburban volunteer Fire Dept and once again I am amazed at the general public's complete lack of awareness to their surroundings.
"Residents were also confused because the Holly alarm sounded." Duh!! The earth just shook from an explosion w/fireball at the refinery next door (see below.....) YA think that the alarm might have sumthin ta do with that?
From the news shots the surrounding homes looked fairly new. Now these days we refiners really do (honest!) try (TRY) to operate as cleanly and safely as possible, it is after all in our best health and profit intrests to do so, BUT we are still oil refineries! We boil oil here folks and handle all sorts of nasty chemicals to make all that gas/diesel/heating oil/propane/jet fuel/plastics that we all love and use every day. A lot of the required proccesses to refine the crude into products need to use very high pressures and or very high temps and no human controlled mechanical system or device is perfect. Things do sometimes break and when dealing with high temp high pressure oil and chemicals the result is not something I would want my family exposed to, hell I don't want to be there when it happens. Why are people building and buying homes close to oil refineries? And once they have bought one why are they not familiar with the in place alerting systems? They were lucky this time that the problem stayed inside the fence. From the news article the affected unit is a HYDROFLORIC ACID plant, these nieghbors need to run that term through google and wake up. I hope those houses were cheap.
Even without the infrequent plant emergencies the day to day operation of a refinery makes them a poor choice for a nieghbor. Do you really want your kids out playing in a yard exposed to cooling tower drift (tiny water droplets from C.T.'s), heater stack emmisions (all the same gases as your homes heater stack, only a couple of thousand times more volume), possible soil or water issues if the refinery dates back to the bad old days and so on. I know how well my operators are trained and how well my plant is maintained, I place my health and well being in these very talented folks hands whenever I'm at work and I count on them to safeguard my livelyhood 24/7/365. But there is no way I would ever buy a house next door to the plant. It's an oil refinery!
I will not get into the political debate here other than to comment that I hope no elected official would ever hope for or find comfort in any uncontrolled release, fire, explosion or failure of this country's industrial infrastructure and to imply that any of them would is in my opinion disgraceful. I know the hazzards these worker are exposed to every day on the job and how important to this country, as we know it, it is to keep these facilities here and running at their most efficient pace.

kd7rto

DELCOLHFC said:
Why are people building and buying homes close to oil refineries?
Davis County, Utah is a narrow strip of land with mountain ranges to the east and the north, and an inland sea to the west. Filling in is the only option, there's no place to sprawl out to.

N4RWM

kd7rto said:
Davis County, Utah is a narrow strip of land with mountain ranges to the east and the north, and an inland sea to the west. Filling in is the only option, there's no place to sprawl out to.
Montana and southern Nevada are still fairly easy to find available land in.

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Well Delco, a man in your position should be able to tell us a little about the Standard (Esso/Exxon) Bayway refinery and how it shaped the lives of the residents of Elizabeth and Linden New Jersey. While you're at it you can extend your gaze down through Carteret, Seawarren, Perth Amboy and Sayerville and tell us about Cancer Alley. Then I can tell you about the explosions, fallout from cat towers and Superfund cleanup that never happened. I'll start it off by telling you it doesn't snow in July, guess where all that white powder all over town came from.

"Filling in is the only option, there's no place to sprawl out to."

When the Mexicans fill it in there will be plenty of room for us in Mexico.

"Montana and southern Nevada are still fairly easy to find available land in."

All well and good if you want to live in a military test range.

Grog

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Wow kb2vxa, almost sounds like an attack on someone because of who he might work for.

That's pretty low, even for you :roll:

kd7rto

KV8OOA said:
Montana and southern Nevada are still fairly easy to find available land in.
No need to go that far. Outside of the four counties which make up the state's population center, Utah is just as sparsely populated.

I could live out in the sticks, or I could stay where I'm at, where the signs in front of the stores are still in English, and the drive into my Job in Salt Lake City takes less than 10 minutes. I think can put up with the occasional smell of propane.

Status
Not open for further replies.