Fire Destroys Compton, CA Police Radio Equipment

Status
Not open for further replies.

VFN05

Compton radio equipment

A fire headquarters with a racquetball court?!

I think I might have some idea why they don't have the $$$ to finish the radio system.

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.3; en-us; DROID2 GLOBAL Build/4.5.1_57_D2G-38) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Embarrassing. Imagine responding as a firefighter to your own station.

mule1075

Feed Provider
A fire headquarters with a racquetball court?!

No Different from east coast firehouses that have weight rooms handball courts and so on an so forth.And more than likely paid for the members and not the city.Just a thought to think about before we can say why or why they did not have the cash to finish the system.

Last edited:

mule1075

Feed Provider
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.3; en-us; DROID2 GLOBAL Build/4.5.1_57_D2G-38) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Embarrassing. Imagine responding as a firefighter to your own station.

Happens more times than you think and that is reported in the news.Embarrassing not so sure.

emcomm

I was an EMT driving an ambulance during the LA Riots and I crashed into a laser printer that someone tried to carry home after looting but I guess abandoned, as it looked large and heavy. My only Compton memory.

fyrrsq4

Premium Subscriber
I just found out more to the story. I was contacted today by LA Sheriffs office due to the sale of stolen XTL radios sold and purchased on Ebay.

Well, I bought a XTL radio and now have to return it to LA Sheriff's and fight Paypal for my money back.

Lesson learned, buy from a dealer. Supposedly this crime was committed by a Compton FF. Fire was a cover up for the dozen stolen radios...

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
I just found out more to the story. I was contacted today by LA Sheriffs office due to the sale of stolen XTL radios sold and purchased on Ebay.

Well, I bought a XTL radio and now have to return it to LA Sheriff's and fight Paypal for my money back.

Lesson learned, buy from a dealer. Supposedly this crime was committed by a Compton FF. Fire was a cover up for the dozen stolen radios...

gotta love turdbay, that's why I call it brokenstolenradios.com

hopefully you used a CC based PP payment so you can file a charge back.
don't look to turdbay or payfraud for help, because they'll shrug their shoulders at you.

sorry to hear that you got hosed.

DPD1

Strange as it sounds, many L.A. area fire stations were built with racquetball courts. I have no idea why. Must have been one of those trendy things at the time.

Dude111

An Awesome Dude
fyrrsq4 said:
Wow im sorry buddy!!

Explain to Paypal what happend (Tell them you didnt know they were stolen) and see if you can get refunded... (The ebay seller should really refund you)

G00D LUCK!!

DickH

Strange as it sounds, many L.A. area fire stations were built with racquetball courts. I have no idea why. Must have been one of those trendy things at the time.

It's called exercise and staying in top physical condition, so if they have to lug you out of a burning building at 3 AM some day, they can do it.

DPD1

It's called exercise and staying in top physical condition, so if they have to lug you out of a burning building at 3 AM some day, they can do it.

Yeah, I get that... I'm not complaining. It's just weird to have racquetball of all things, that's all. I'm assuming maybe racquetball was hip at the time, so they went with that. Plenty of other ways to exercise that take less space than that though. The guys I talked to when I toured numerous stations said they never use them though.

cjf15h

Greetings. I am the associate editor of the local newspaper in Compton and would like to discuss this matter with you. Please reply if you are interested. Thank you.

tekkcomm

Newspaper

That's a shame. I've followed this story and it seems very shady!

Last edited:

Former Compton firefighter charged with arson, embezzlement - latimes.com

A former Compton firefighter pleaded not guilty Friday to charges of arson, grand theft and embezzlement in connection with a fire that destroyed hundreds of thousands of dollars' worth of communications equipment in December 2011.

Marcel Melanson, 37, a one-time Compton deputy chief who worked for the department for 15 years and once starred in a reality television series, is accused of stealing radios that were stored at the fire station and selling them on the Internet, then setting a fire to cover up the theft.

Status
Not open for further replies.