fire station/at home alerting

Status
Not open for further replies.

daleduke17

What do you mean that a pager isn't cutting it? There could be several ways.

If you just need more volume on a pager, there are drop in chargers that also amplify the volume, and other items like that. I don't remember any brands other than Motorola has some for the Minitor series (and probably Director, as they are similar varieities..or used to be).

Some more info might be handy to see what you are in need of.

Del-md-pa-nj-scanman

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Well that all depends if you are a Volly (Volunteer) or a paid fireman if you are a paid i dont know but if you are a volly than The fire Siren should alert you if you are in the area of the siren..........

NeFire242

Premium Subscriber
If you're city opts to ring the siren.

Could try a receiver which decodes the QCII to a PLC which would then turn on/off, or activate something such as... Oh I dunno, a huge 100watt speaker with airhorn. That should alert you.

This is how we do it in the station. The PLC turns off the gas valve, etc when there is a call and opens up the PA for a certain amount of time, and will turn on the lights if it's after 10pm.

Whatever you want to happen.

bwhite

Premium Subscriber
I'm probably dating myself, but, Plectron radios used to be what was used. I don't know if they even still exist, but, they could be left "open" to receive or set to only "open up" if the tones were heard for the specific station.

nhiester

Database Admin
Federal signal informers replace the plectron now, and they do have a relay option if you want to switch on a light or something. Amplified chargers are also an option for pagers on most brands as well. Some of those even offer a relay output.

Fire Station alerting is a whole different ball game if you want to do it to meet NFPA Standard. There are many systems out there from comopanies like Moto, Zetron, M/A Com, Federal Signal and others. Alot depends on how big the station is and what you need to control.

Caesar

Premium Subscriber
i remember for at home alerts we had pagers, the handheld and the basetype, most of the firefighters also had it setup to the home phone where it would ring normal for regular incoming calls and it would ring steady for firedept, but i am not sure if that was for calls from central or forwarding from the station...

hoser147

Your question is kinda vague, There is alot of good options in the posts above do they answer your questions? Can you give us more info on what you want ?..........hoser147

kingpin

Trailer Park Supervisor
We installed a in house speaker system connected to our base radio at the station. The PA speakers were mounted in about 8 different places throughout the station and connected to a 100 watt pa amplifier. This way, you could hear the call anywhere in the station. Every dept is different and we had our own frequency and we were toned with 2 tone so as soon as you heard the 1st tone, you were headed to the door.

Every dept is different so there are many different ways to accomplish an in house alert system.

daleduke17

Caesar said:
i remember for at home alerts we had pagers, the handheld and the basetype, most of the firefighters also had it setup to the home phone where it would ring normal for regular incoming calls and it would ring steady for firedept, but i am not sure if that was for calls from central or forwarding from the station...

The department I was on used to have fire phones. They got rid of them mabye six or seven years ago. This was before 9-1-1 was in the area that fire phones were used.

How it worked was: Someone would call the 3311 number, it would ring on all of the phones of the firemen who had that option set up. Then, they would go to the firehouse, page the department, then set off the outdoor siren (yeah, all three were used). There was also a fire phone at the bank, gas station and grain elevator (along with a switch to activate the outdoor siren for, I think, both severe weather and fire calls).

Nowadays, Logan Dispatch takes all of the calls, except for if someone runs up to a firefighter when one of them are at the restaurant or something, or calls one of them at home.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
If you have access to the National Fire Protection Association's 1221 Standard, it will give you a listing of all the acceptable means for alerting fire stations (called "Emergency Response Facilities" I believe.) There are many options that can be chosen.

Our fire stations have the setup mentioned above. We have a pager tied into a "knock-out" system. When the tones go off, several horns sound throughout the station. EMS incidents and fire incidents each have their own specific horn noise.

Asmitty0010

Feed Provider
alerting

thanks guys for the comments

I guess what i'm looking for is something which can tone out 2 tone paging. Some of my options are an eternal speaker/charger for pager but I need something that u can hook up a relay to so you can operate lights/buzzers etc. I know the BCD996T is cabable of doing fire tone outs but there is no way to hook up a relay correct?

Thanks

hoser147

Small town 10,000 with a big lake summer population approx 30,000 approz 14 fulltime FF/Paramedics and aux of 6 however we got 2 township (vol) stations right out side of town with approx 60 FF............hoser147

whitesox4life

i saw on ebay a few weeks ago, that they have a strobe light and a noise box of somekind to help with alerting with a minitor II pager. our chief has one and he says that it works great for when you are watching the big game or something like that. we all also have amplified chargers for our pagers.

Status
Not open for further replies.