• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Fire Station Audio System

Status
Not open for further replies.

ob123

Premium Subscriber
Ok, so I trying to design a cost-effective solution to have a speaker system through-out our firehouse. The speaker system will have 2 sets of speakers, 6 Alerting Speakers, and 6 Speakers for the Scanner. The 6 Alerting Speakers will Have 1 Volume control in-wall knob. While, the 6 scanner speakers will have 5 separate control knobs in each area. The Purpose for that is, we do not want members turning off the alerting speakers. Attached is a .zip file with a diagram of the system I have made. It may be confusing...

My specific Questions are as follows:
1. Will this work?
2. Will using Mono audio from the BCT15 and Minitor III Charger be good enough quality for the system? The reason I would go mono(left Alerting rightside Scanner) is because the amp only has 1 input channel).
3. Will the amp be powerful enough for this?(This system came as a package so I am assuming it is made for the speaker set.)
4. Any other issues I should be concerned about?

The Speaker system is found at
Amazon.com: Pyle Studio Audio System Package for the Studio, Bar, Concert, Stage, Performance, Home, etc. - PCA4 Mini 2x120 Watt Stereo Power Amplifier - PSS6 6 Channel High Power Stereo Speaker Selector - x6 PDIC51RD 6 Pairs of the 5.25'' Tw

Attached is the .zip with images of the slides of the system.

Thank you, Matt

Attachments

• radiospeakersystem.zip
    160.8 KB · Views: 175

jim202

You need to step back and think about what your trying to do and why. First of all, there should be no reason to have any volume controls available to the local speakers on any alerting system. Don't care about the scanner audio, people can do what they want with that audio. Put a local volume pad at each scanner speaker if you want, but not on the alerting speaker.

As for the distribution audio amps driving the speakers, you need 2 of them. One for the alerting and one for the scanner. I would use a 70 volt wiring system for the speakers. That way you can change transformer taps to adjust the level of sound at each speaker. Not all areas will require high level coming from the speaker.

An audio amp with a 70 volt output is easy to use and takes 2 wires to each speaker. Just make sure you use a wire size big enough. Don't expect this 70 volt system to run on number 24 wire. You need to use at least a number 16 wire or larger due to voltage drop. You end up having a transformer at each speaker to set the level with. You can even buy speakers with the transformers already attached. There are some nice drop in ceiling tile choices in the design. Just cut a round hole in the tile and place the speaker in it. You can get the metal cone type speakers to put out in the areas where you need a loud sound level. These also can be found with built in transformers.

Go my son and install your sound system. Just make it so idiots can't turn it off or down so low you can't hear it. We can supply the best equipment, but you can't fix stupid.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.