Fire Tone Out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Machria

Premium Subscriber
I'm also surprised we don't have FTO, at least on the TRX models. This is on my "WishList" I've sent to whistler for both adding to existing models, and putting in any new model developed.

What is that? ?

A nice feature that searches for and then monitors Tone codes for specific Fire Stations on a dispatch channel. So first you can search for tones used by specific fire stations, and once found you can then save that station into your FTO channels. Then put your scanner into FTO monitor mode which makes it work like a Fire fighters pager. The scanner will only become active on that freq. when that specific tone is herd. The way Uniden does it is, you have 10 channels to work with, so you can program in the tones for 10 fire stations (towns...) and monitor dispatch for all of them (assuming they all use the same freq.).

On Long Island there are 100's of fire stations, so listening to the dispatch channels is just non-stop bang outs for fires, EMS calls... for ALL of these stations. Of course I don't care about 90% of these, so this feature lets me just program in the codes for the local 5 or 10 stations I'm actually interceded in, and the scanner will only go active when one of them is banged out, and ignores the others.

This is the only thing I use on my BCD396 right now. If Whistler would add this feature to the TRX, I would then sell the 396.

Common Whistler, Add FTO!!!!!

TAbirdman

Thanks. I get it but at the same time I dont. How is this different than say a CTCSS tone?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

fdnyfish

Feed Provider
It's like a separate PL tone for every fire company in the county. this way you can just listen to the one you want

troymail

Silent Key
Thanks. I get it but at the same time I dont. How is this different than say a CTCSS tone?

Many fire departments (volunteer for sure) alert calls using tones for pagers. The pagers can be kept "silent" but monitor for a specific set of tones (audible frequencies to be sent) that are assigned to a given fire company or unit. When that specific tone sequence is transmitted, the pager will "open" and allow the voice announcement to be heard.

krokus

Premium Subscriber

CTCSS is meant to be sub-audible, while the tones used for fire department alerting is in the typical audio range.

Sent via Tapatalk

TAbirdman

Many fire departments (volunteer for sure) alert calls using tones for pagers. The pagers can be kept "silent" but monitor for a specific set of tones (audible frequencies to be sent) that are assigned to a given fire company or unit. When that specific tone sequence is transmitted, the pager will "open" and allow the voice announcement to be heard.
Like on Squad 51??

Status
Not open for further replies.