Fire Tones & Scanners

Status
Not open for further replies.

andy404ns

ki4wkm said:
I used ComTekk 2-Tone Decoder to determine the tones in my community. I just downloaded the software and had dispatch test my depts pagers. There are a number of places you can get this software. Just google "ComTekk".

Oh boy. Here come the people asking if anyone would be willing to share the registration key because they don't want to spend the $30.

By the way, does anyone want to share the registration key?

firefighter89

When I first started my old department, we didn't have a pager or radio for me so I just locked a scanner on dispatch channel. After awhile I could pick out my stations calls while sleeping through the others :D

My department is short on pagers as well so that is what I do. And yes I can sleep through other calls but I wake up when my tones hit.

N9JIG

Sheriff
I have had great luck using the BC-15 and BC330 as fire tone out receivers, I use 4 BC-15's at home to monitor local fire channels. They have been very reliable and I have never had them not open on the proper tones. For $225 you can't go wrong. Easy to program, allows 10 tone sets on a channel, variable alerts and alpha-tagged alert codes are all great features.

All that said, I would not rely on a scanner for life safety purposes, it wasn't really intended to be used for response personnel, but for consumers and hobbyists.

hfxChris

Database Admin
This feature would be a lot more useful to me if you could either have it listen for multiple sets of tones on multiple frequencies, OR listen for any tones on multiple frequencies. Reason is, the fire departments here use a number of different tones (for each station, region, zone, etc) on multiple frequencies. Setup a tone-out bank where you plug in your frequencies (all of them), and either plug in your sets of tones or tell it to alert on any tones received, and it just sits there and scans through the frequencies. Ah well...

Status
Not open for further replies.