Firefox

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darkstar350

After the latest update of Firefox i noticed that it was running a bit slower then usual
In the task manager i see there is now 2 firefox running taking up a lot of memory
I dont think it was like this before the update
Anyone else notice this?

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
After the latest update of Firefox i noticed that it was running a bit slower then usual
In the task manager i see there is now 2 firefox running taking up a lot of memory
I dont think it was like this before the update
Anyone else notice this?
That can happen with any program. Close up one of them.

If it happens regular, and just with Firefox, that might indicate a problem, but very unlikely. Typically you can open a second one just by hitting the wrong button and not even know it.

corbintechboy

Premium Subscriber

N9JIG

Sheriff
I never really paid too much attention to it until recently.

On my main Windows 7 installation (a virtual machine on my iMac) with 16 GB of RAM assigned I checked the three browsers I have installed (Firefox, IE and Chrome). Each has Adblock Plus installed and home page set to Google.

I started Firefox and there was a single item listed in Task Manager taking 290K of RAM.

When I opened Chrome there were originally a dozen items listed in Task Manager then it dropped down to 6, with a total of 150K of RAM usage.

When I opened IE it showed 2 items with a total of about 135K of RAM.

I used to use Firefox almost exclusively, both on my Macs and Windows machines. I have started to use Chrome much more often recently though due to some serious issues with Firefox. For instance, it doesn't play nice with the FCC search pages and tends to get stupid after playing videos on Facebook, Youtube or Vimeo. Chrome and Safari have not had these issues. I almost never use IE so I couldn't tell you if it has these problems or not.

corbintechboy

Premium Subscriber
I never really paid too much attention to it until recently.

On my main Windows 7 installation (a virtual machine on my iMac) with 16 GB of RAM assigned I checked the three browsers I have installed (Firefox, IE and Chrome). Each has Adblock Plus installed and home page set to Google.

I started Firefox and there was a single item listed in Task Manager taking 290K of RAM.

When I opened Chrome there were originally a dozen items listed in Task Manager then it dropped down to 6, with a total of 150K of RAM usage.

When I opened IE it showed 2 items with a total of about 135K of RAM.

I used to use Firefox almost exclusively, both on my Macs and Windows machines. I have started to use Chrome much more often recently though due to some serious issues with Firefox. For instance, it doesn't play nice with the FCC search pages and tends to get stupid after playing videos on Facebook, Youtube or Vimeo. Chrome and Safari have not had these issues. I almost never use IE so I couldn't tell you if it has these problems or not.

Run chrome for awhile and use some tabs and you will see that Chrome can really eat RAM. Not to mention the privacy issues with Chrome.

Check out Vivaldi. It runs on the Chrome engine without all the Google mess. It is my backup browser.

Darkstar350

So i tryed closing one of the Firefox in the task manager and it ended up closing both of them
I guess its just a glitch of some sort...

flythunderbird

Feed Provider
After several years of using Firefox, I gave up on it and switched to Vivaldi. I got tired of Firefox becoming increasingly bloated. Vivaldi runs faster than Firefox on my Windows 7 PC, and both were using Adblock Plus.

rbm

Firefox has been my primary browser since it first came out, and still is.

However, it's become bloated and slower over the years.
It also gets tied in knots at times by scripts.

Now, if I want a fast, streamlined browser, I use Epic Privacy Browser.
It's much faster and (at least so far) has never caused me any problems.

Rich

Epic Privacy Browser
https://www.epicbrowser.com/

Status
Not open for further replies.