AR-DV10 Firmware 1810A - Serious Problems Still

Status
Not open for further replies.

woodpecker

After almost 3 months of waiting, firmware 1810A has finally appeared for the DV10, using the cumbersome I/Q feature where you have to keep removing the SD here are some initial measurements.

With the "new feature" of being able to adjust the XTAL offset (something a user should never have to do) I still can only get my DV10 to within 180Hz of being on frequency.

Radio warmed up, 452.000 MHz AM signal 30% modulated with a 1kHz tone fed into an RSP1A and DV10 at the same time.

The RSP1A reads 20Hz off frequency, excellent.

The DV10 with an XTAL offset of:-

0000 is 1.1kHz off frequency
+5000 is 640Hz off frequency
+9990 (max available) still 180Hz off frequency

There are 1 set of measurements at 1 ambient temperature not across the -10 to +50C operating range.

The attached images show the 3 offsets selected and the resulting frequency error in sdr#

In each image the top is the RSP1A, below the DV10 I/Q recording.

If this is the best they can come up with in 3 months, its clear they cannot fix it with firmware.

Attachments

• 0.jpg
    0.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 1,075
  • 5000.jpg
    5000.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 1,003
  • 9990.jpg
    9990.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 994
Last edited:

woodpecker

If you set the frequency to be correct in the UHF area it still leaves it 130Hz+ off frequency across the LF/HF bands, so at 100kHz it still has a 130Hz error which is 1300ppm.

AOR have in no way addressed the frequency issue, they don't have a clue what they are doing, it needs multiple adjustment options at different frequencies to botch this mess, ideally it should be scrapped and the hardware fixed.

"Control commands are under development." The DV10 was sold with a manual stating remote commands were available to download.

AOR have added a nothing of use and failed miserably to fix the 2 main issues, frequency error and remote commands.

The automode bandwidth is still locked at 15kHz making it far from optimum for DMR, NXDN and NFM which all would perform better at 6kHz.

c0ne

Remote update command

A quick look shows they added a new remote control command to update the firmware remotely, "SD UPD firmware_file_on_sdcard .D10". This new command is used by the firmware update/fix tool used incase a firmware update failed and the buttons/menus stopped from working(i assume some on ran into this issue)

woodpecker

It still has the ridiculous memory curruption problems, freezes, resets, on this occasion the IFBW got set to CW and the STEP to 0k + 0k, it lost all the search bank programming and partially reset itself.

Its an absolute piece of crap still, why are these idiots adding new pointless features when its still a broken mess?

Attachments

• IMG_2575.jpg
    IMG_2575.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 881

c0ne

I noticed that the scan speed has been reduced.

Some thing you can try is, backup your system, do a full system reset and reimport your system. Sometimes this helps. Its kinda good practice to do this with any scanner when updating firmware.

mtndog4

Thank you AOR for the DV10 Firmware 1810A update

Yes It helps to
1.First back Up system
2.Install AOR DV10 Firmware 1810A
3.Full system reset and then re-import system file.

The AOR DV10 Aircraft band out performs the BCD996P2 and the SDS100 (sensitivity)
The AOR DV10 out performs the BCD996P2 and the SDS100 sensitivity / DMR decoding

Note All had same antennas (telescopic whip)

SDR# (https://airspy.com/) addition is a very nice display feature.

woodpecker

Quick drift measurement only done at ambient temperature, 452MHz on the analyser with a 2uV input signal, left running for 2 hours and I/Q recorded.

At start that signal was +1360Hz, after 2 hours it was -640Hz. 2kHz drift in 2 hours at ambient temperature.

The attempt to botch the frequency error and drift is a miserable failure, much like the unit in general.

F5HPE

FW 1810 offer more features

Thank you AOR for the DV10 Firmware 1810A update

Yes It helps to
1.First back Up system
2.Install AOR DV10 Firmware 1810A
3.Full system reset and then re-import system file.

The AOR DV10 Aircraft band out performs the BCD996P2 and the SDS100 (sensitivity)
The AOR DV10 out performs the BCD996P2 and the SDS100 sensitivity / DMR decoding

Note All had same antennas (telescopic whip)

SDR# (https://airspy.com/) addition is a very nice display feature.

You are right ! FW 1810 is a good update. IQ record capability in portable mode is the first portable receiver which can offer such capability.

woodpecker

Looks like they removed the note added in the 1808D release which read:-

"The CPU measures the temperature and adjusts the automatic frequency
The built-in CPU in the AR-DV 10 measures the temperature and has the function to automatically adjust the frequency."

1810A release makes no mention of this, looks like AOR have given up trying to correct the frequency issues because its impossible in firmware to correct such a serious hardware design error.

c0ne

bad coding practice and memory corruption

This a teaser on a upcoming blog to illustrate how horrible the DV10 code is and the level of incompetence.

This function initializes the SerialOut buffer, the buffer used to store the data which is send back over the serial connection. Basicly what it does is a "memset(#8D8h, 0, 0x78)" eq. it zeros the buffer(#8D8h) for a length of the 0x78 bytes.

ROM:FFF8C154 SerialBuffOut_Init: ; CODE XREF: serial__CmdHandler
ROM:FFF8C154 ; sub_FFF8CD6B+17 ...
ROM:FFF8C154 mov.l #78h, r3
ROM:FFF8C157 mov.l #0, r2
ROM:FFF8C159 mov.l #8D8h, r1
ROM:FFF8C15F sstr.b
ROM:FFF8C161 rts
ROM:FFF8C161 ; End of function SerialBuffOut_Zero

So basicly its safe to say this output buffer has a length of 0x78 bytes. Next is the function used to append data to this buffer. It works in such way that it locates the first 0 byte in the buffer with a upperlimit of 0xFF, once found it appends the data onto the end.

ROM:FFF8C162 SerialBuffOut_Append: ; CODE XREF: sub_FFF8BFA7+6
ROM:FFF8C162 ; sub_FFF8BFB8+6 ...
ROM:FFF8C162 mov.l r1, r14
ROM:FFF8C164 mov.l #0FFh, r3
ROM:FFF8C167 mov.l #0, r2
ROM:FFF8C169 mov.l #8D8h, r1
ROM:FFF8C16F suntil.b
ROM:FFF8C171 sub #1, r1
ROM:FFF8C173 mov.l r14, r2
ROM:FFF8C175 smovu
ROM:FFF8C177 rts
ROM:FFF8C177 ; End of function SerialBuffOut_Append

This 0xFF upperlimit exceeds the max of 0x78 bytes and thus could result in a memory corruption. Such failures like these are all over the place and I'm still mind blown by the amount of stupid flaws i find in the code. The blog will live somewhere near the end of the year.

Last edited:

woodpecker

Because the firmware is so bug ridden there is a situation where the radio may get into a crashed state and the keys don't work.

To try and cater for the incompetently written broken code, they have released a utility to try and force the firmware to load from the SD card using a serial command.

That is all the utility does.

c0ne

Last edited:

c0ne

If you dont place a whitespace between the filename and its extension you have another crashed DV10...

MStep

You guys have done a fantastic job here on Radio Reference in terms of spotting errors in the DV10 programming codes, along with many other issues related to the performance of the receiver.

A close friend, who operates a "news-gathereing" organization and who owns many of the DV1's, was poised to buy a quantity of DV10's, that is until he became aware of all the issues surrounding the unit.

He was also waiting for the Alpha II's introduction, but it now appears that AOR has been thrown into a tailspin because of the issues with the DV10. His sources are telling him (and I have no way of personally substantiating this) that the Alpha II may never see the light of day. Which is a shame, since the beautiful Icom R8600 does not support DMR (or Fusion).

He is on the proverbial horns of a dilemma. I have suggested to him that in lieu of the DV10, and the uncertainty of the Alpha II, that he order additional DV1 receivers to augment his supply. That may be the only benefit that AOR derives out of this mess--- additional sales of the DV1. He has already outfitted some of his "operatives" with backpacks equipped with the DV1 and battery packs.

Those considering the DV10 would be well advised to instead investigate the DV1 as a replacement, operational circumstances permitting. If my friend's information is correct about the possible cancellation of the Alpha II, this may portend ill foreboding for the very future of AOR.

woodpecker

You guys have done a fantastic job here on Radio Reference in terms of spotting errors in the DV10 programming codes, along with many other issues related to the performance of the receiver.

A close friend, who operates a "news-gathereing" organization and who owns many of the DV1's, was poised to buy a quantity of DV10's, that is until he became aware of all the issues surrounding the unit.

He was also waiting for the Alpha II's introduction, but it now appears that AOR has been thrown into a tailspin because of the issues with the DV10. His sources are telling him (and I have no way of personally substantiating this) that the Alpha II may never see the light of day. Which is a shame, since the beautiful Icom R8600 does not support DMR (or Fusion).

He is on the proverbial horns of a dilemma. I have suggested to him that in lieu of the DV10, and the uncertainty of the Alpha II, that he order additional DV1 receivers to augment his supply. That may be the only benefit that AOR derives out of this mess--- additional sales of the DV1. He has already outfitted some of his "operatives" with backpacks equipped with the DV1 and battery packs.

Those considering the DV10 would be well advised to instead investigate the DV1 as a replacement, operational circumstances permitting. If my friend's information is correct about the possible cancellation of the Alpha II, this may portend ill foreboding for the very future of AOR.

It was me who found the frequency errors with the DV10, I reported it to AOR and they responded with a load of arrogant crap about the rubber antenna, their words were:-

"3kHz off frequency: It is very unlikely. Tests have been made with a signal generator at 456.6MHz (the frequency used in your video) and no anomaly could be observed. Erratic digital decoding is rather due to the rubber antenna issue, or maybe a bug in which case we will try to fix as soon as possible."

It was soon confirmed by others that this was a major problem with it, I made a number of suggestions to them as to how they could fix things and improve things, they didn't want to listen, again too arrogrant.

As they now don't even bother to respond to emails, I just post all the reports on my blog, Facebook, Twitter, youtube and on here, whether they read them or not, I don't care, the world reads it and can see how bad it is.

They could have turned the situation around by properly admitting the issue, recalling the problem units and sorting it out, a company with any kind of customer service would have done that.

Months on they have made no progress, release nonsense information, nonsense useless "new features" yet still haven't sorted out the frequency error, frequency drift and buggy firmware that locks the radio.

AOR are a joke, they cannot produce an on frequency product and they think their products are suitable for commercial and military use, ROTFL!

The Alpha II will be a similar mess like the Alpha 1 and the DV10.

Maybe they are just too busy trying to stay in business selling weather stations:-

https://www.aor.co.jp/weather/product/

AOR = Any Old Rubbish

marlbrook

Premium Subscriber
Rewards

I quickly followed up on Woodpecker's test using digital frequency generating equipment and found his results to be accurate.

My 'reward' for confirming and publishing my test results, was an unsigned email from AOR, threatening me with legal action and stating they would remove my AR-DV1 program (eSPYonARD) from their list of Third Party Software for that Receiver. They did that.

I had been working for some months on a similar program for the DV10, but abandoned it. Apart from the fact that AOR never published codes to control it, I had quickly discovered that although some had been implemented and were the same as those used by the DV1, many simply crashed the Receiver (and still do despite the released Firmware updates). The main reason for not going ahead with that program was it seemed pointless to try to support a Radio that had frequency stability/drift issues that could never have been properly 'mended' with Firmware. I could not in all conscience publish a program for a Receiver that I had lost so much confidence in. Shame as one of the functions that did work on the AR-DV10 program was the Band Scope I had created for the DV1.

Only a hardware re-design would fix the frequency issues, and AOR made it clear by their attempts to discredit anyone who brought them to the Public's attention, and 'denial' of those serious problems, were following a different approach.

A great shame such a wonderful concept as the DV10 was released in the state it was, aggravated by AOR failing to see the long term implications of not coming clean, admitting the mistake, withdrawing the DV10, fixing it and releasing a new design that was fit for purpose.

I have been an AOR devotee for decades, and hate to see their reputation being so tarnished, but it is their decision.

EricCottrell

Premium Subscriber
It sends a remote serial command "SD UPD <firmware_filename_on_sd> .D10" that than will launch the update. This seems they have added this after people had issues with updating the firmware and as a result of that non of the buttons worked anymore.
Hello,

I see SD UPD command in the 1807A build as well.

73 Eric

mtndog4

200hz Firmware 1810A

My AOR DV10 receiver (@ 452MHZ) is only off frequency 200hz after 2 hours at room temps

Status
Not open for further replies.