• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

...First Airline to Allow Inflight Calls from Passenger Cellphones

Status
Not open for further replies.

iMONITOR

Premium Subscriber
Emirates First Airline to Allow Inflight Calls from Passenger Cellphones

Dubai-based airline Emirates has claimed the first ever permitted mobile phone call from a commercial flight. The conversations took place aboard a Casablanca-bound Airbus A340 that had been kitted out with a system that stops cellphones from messing with the plane's electronics. By the end of the year its passengers will be able to clack away on their BlackBerries and use other data services, such as sending texts. Calls on night flights will not be allowed, and the crews will be allowed to prohibit yakking whenever they feel like it. The only stipulation is that cell users, who can only make calls when at cruising height keep their phones switched to silent—thank God—during flights.

http://gizmodo.com/370547/emirates-the-first-airline-to-allow-inflight-calls-from-passenger-cellphones

Zaratsu

Premium Subscriber
Great. Now I'm gonna get stuck next to some dufus that cant stop yakking on his/her cellphone every time I have to fly. Its bad enough the people that start dialing everyone they know the second the tires hit the ground. (try unboarding a plane a full plane with a bunch of cellphone yappers grabbing for their overhead luggage trying to be first off the plane.

SkipSanders

Silent Key
Note that while there is the potential for interference to flight avionics, the actual reason the FCC doesn't allow in flight cellphone use (seperate from the FAA regulation about all electronics), is that there is the potential of royally destroying the workability of the local cell network.

It's not designed to cope with high altidude, signals equal over WIDE areas users. Such a user could interfere with operations of dozens of individual 'cells' of the system, or more.

datainmotion

Premium Subscriber
SkipSanders said:
Note that while there is the potential for interference to flight avionics, the actual reason the FCC doesn't allow in flight cellphone use (seperate from the FAA regulation about all electronics), is that there is the potential of royally destroying the workability of the local cell network.

It's not designed to cope with high altidude, signals equal over WIDE areas users. Such a user could interfere with operations of dozens of individual 'cells' of the system, or more.
I'm so glad someone finally pointed this out. Now, having said that - I don't want them to be allowed for the "yak factor" because we're all in such close proximity on an aircraft.

bpckty1

Perhaps they are allowing cell phones just so some passengers near the ****pit can talk to friends near the tail in "tourist class".

;^>

nd5y

This is the system they are installing in airliners.
http://www.aeromobile.net
Read the FAQ page.
The passengers' phones work through a picocell on the aircraft that is linked by satelllite to the ground.
It forces the phones to use the lowest power level so they don't interfere with ground networks or aircraft systems.

okccsi

nd5y said:
This is the system they are installing in airliners.
http://www.aeromobile.net
Read the FAQ page.
The passengers' phones work through a picocell on the aircraft that is linked by satelllite to the ground.
It forces the phones to use the lowest power level so they don't interfere with ground networks or aircraft systems.

After reading all the posts, I was wondering what was up. My dad just came back into OKC from Houston on a flight Sunday and he was able to talk on his cell phone while flying. He even made a point of saying that they told everyone they were allowed to.

Don Manning

Raccon

AeroMobile also believes very strongly in promoting an appropriate ‘etiquette’ for use of mobile phone services on aircraft. This includes passengers switching their phones to silent or vibrate mode and using the phone in a reasonable and considerate way. This situation is very similar to use of mobile phones in restaurants and cinemas on the ground.
The situation being very similar means people will not follow the appropiate etiquette.
Can't wait for this service to get introduced on flights to/from Asia ... :roll:

ibagli

Premium Subscriber
They should make it cost at least the rate of those ridiculous airphones that nobody uses.

w4rez

ibagli said:
They should make it cost at least the rate of those ridiculous airphones that nobody uses.
That's a wonderful idea but I really doubt they'll do that, because then nobody will use this technology that the invested so much in, just like the airphones. The last couple of flights I was on didn't even have them. You could see that they were once installed in the plane but had been removed.

iMONITOR

Premium Subscriber
w4rez said:
Ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh................The biggest joy of flying will soon be history.

I think all the joy went out of flying on commercial airlines a long time ago!

w4rez

GreatLakes said:
I think all the joy went out of flying on commercial airlines a long time ago!

Well...ya know, as much of a hassle as what the TSA and security is now, I can deal with that, because in general it's a one time (per trip) thing and once it's over it's over. Once everybody's up in the air, it's one of the most peaceful things I've ever experienced, and now it looks like that's going to soon be gone forever.

iMONITOR

Premium Subscriber
w4rez said:
Well...ya know, as much of a hassle as what the TSA and security is now, I can deal with that, because in general it's a one time (per trip) thing and once it's over it's over. Once everybody's up in the air, it's one of the most peaceful things I've ever experienced, and now it looks like that's going to soon be gone forever.
Well the TSA is only the tip of the iceberg. Flight delays, cancellations, pilot strikes, mechanic strikes, price increases, total disregard for safety issues, smaller seating, flight attendants with an attitude, lost luggage, pilots shooting up the ****pit, just to name a few annoyances!

Zaratsu

Premium Subscriber
w4rez said:

oh seriously! Do you know how loud people are going to have to speak to be able to be heard on a cellphone in flight? I cant hear **** in flight with the engines, air pumps, fans, wind rushing by, etc anyways......and if my ears start to pop I couldnt hear the infant next to me bawling bloody murder let alone my cell phone.

Commercial airliners are LOUD, you just dont notice it because it is white noise and your ears are popping.

ibagli

Premium Subscriber
GreatLakes said:
Flight delays, cancellations, pilot strikes, mechanic strikes, price increases, total disregard for safety issues, smaller seating, flight attendants with an attitude, lost luggage, pilots shooting up the ****pit, just to name a few annoyances!
It's amazing, but I've never been inconvenienced by strikes, "disregard for safety," rude flight attendants, lost luggage (you apparently never lost your broad brush, though), or drugged up pilots.

mikepdx

Just what's needed to elevate the tension level in the fuselage:
Being forced to listen to people babbling non-stop on their cell-phones.

I hope the airlines will have the decency to offer complimentary ear plugs.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.