• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

First pistol for concealed carry

Status
Not open for further replies.

tampabaynews

Premium Subscriber
I'm considering getting my concealed weapons permit (Florida) in the next couple months. I don't know a whole lot about pistols so I would appreciate some suggestions. I'm just looking for reliable self-defense that conceals well. Don't worry, I will be at the range more often from the single shot required from the permit. I'd just like to know what to look for (manufacturer, materials, model, caliber, pistol size, etc.)

Thanks in advance.

I loved my sig p232 stainless.380
Also have carried a sig p239 40 cal
Currently use a Glock 27 40 cal

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Sig Sauer P229 .40 cal in the small of the back holster. :wink:

n9zas

I would recommend the Smith and Wesson M&P .40 Compact. Fairly light weight, very dependable and accurate.

K9WG

Make you shop around. There can be a BIG difference in price between shops. I have seen a $200 to $300 difference on the same model between stores.

eta: If you ever visit Indiana, your FL permit is good here ;)

Depends on what you feel comfortable shooting I would start off with a 9mm or a small .38 caliber revolver until you get use to carrying concealed. I carry my Springfield XD 9mm 4'' service model holstered on the side it feels really good carrying around town.

tampabaynews

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the suggestions, I'll probably start off at a sub-compact 9mm. My budget is around $600. What about ammo? Are there specific brands that are better, even of the same caliber?

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll probably start off at a sub-compact 9mm. My budget is around $600. What about ammo? Are there specific brands that are better, even of the same caliber?
For the best ammo that I have found that shoots really good with my handgun is Speer Gold dot. I would test out a rental compact 9mm at a gun range like Shoot Straight and see how the handgun fits in your hand so you can get an idea what it feels like also buy some shooting ammo to practice with.

For the Speer Gold dots here you go you can find them at any Gun Store around the area.

Speer Ammo - Ballistics Tables

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B206 Safari/7534.48.3)

www.glocktalk.com. And no, it's not all about Glocks. Lots of CCW info and firearm comparisons/experience.

ff-medic

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
The Appalachians - Next to the tent and campfire.
Kahrs are good guns, but unless they have changed their design recently, their triggers feel "Gritty" to me, like their is sand in the trigger housing.

Glocks are great pistols, built like tanks, and you can get a basic model for about $475.00 - $535.00. For the quality of handgun you get, the price is perfect. I personally like the model 19 ( 9mm ) and the model 23 ( .40 caliber ) Glocks are striker fired, about a 5.5 pound trigger pull, and they have no external safety on their stock pistols ( a bad grade for the gun in my opinion ). If you get one, just become real familiar with it - and be safe with it. Used ones still have decades, and I mean decades of life on them.

Sig makes great guns ( P229 - P239 ) , but they are expensive.

Taurus makes great revolvers for carry, in 9mm, 38 Special and .357 magnum. You can buy a speed loader or speedstrips for it. Taurus is not what I would call a "Most talked about company" , and I do not exactly favor their automatics, BUT----> They make great revolvers in my opinion and experience.

H&K makes the cadillac of all handguns as far as I am concerned. However expensive, H&K makes great guns that can take abuse. If you are willing to save a little more, I suggest an H&K USP compact model handgun, in either .45 or 9mm, and even a good used one would be a great investment. Remember, these days it is not so much the gun, as it is the bullet load with the gun - cause most generally, the lighter the load = the more velocity and energy you are going to have. 200 grain .45 ACP tops a 230 grain bullet. 115 grain +P 9mm tops a 147 grain 9mm bullet.

Suggestions :

Heckler & Koch - USA

Taurus International Manufacturing Inc

Glock 19 Gen4 | GLOCK USA

Glock 23 | GLOCK USA

P239

http://www.taurususa.com/gun-selector-results.cfm?series=PR2&toggle=tr

The Taurus "Protector" series has a hammer that is seclude in the frame. The hammer is not large, nor does it stick out well above the frame so it can get snagged on clothing. The hammer can be manupulated to shoot "Single action" for those who like to "Place thier shots well" , and it is secluded so it will not get stuck on clothing when drawing concealed, and allows for rapid fire in "double action " mode. Taurus "CIA" and "Protector" handguns are great revolvers.

I have found the .357 Sig caliber to be a supurb round....but it is an "extreme" ear buster, even with hearing protection, and in a short barreled handgun, it would be worse. I had previously a Glock 31 in a .357 Sig. and however accurate, and reliable..even with ear protection it was extremely loud and the "orange fireball" of the muzzle blast was readibly visable in the daylight.

Most generally, barrrels with a 4" in barrel length - that saves your velocity. Less than 4" in barrel length you compromise velocity, and when you compromise velocity you compromise energy. Small barrels, try to keep your bullet load light, and / or - use +P ammo if the handgun is rated for +P ammo.

Hope you pick a handgun that is right for you.

FF - Medic !!!

Last edited:
Find a range that offers a beginners class that show you how to operate and fire a variety of guns. Then when you think you have made up your mind on what you want find a range that has that model in their rental gun case and fire a box or two of ammo through it before you buy one. It could save you from making a $600 mistake.

Thayne

Premium Subscriber
Depends on what you feel comfortable shooting I would start off with a 9mm or a small .38 caliber revolver until you get use to carrying concealed. I carry my Springfield XD 9mm 4'' service model holstered on the side it feels really good carrying around town.
I agree. Even though it is a little heavy for my wife, I love to carry a Ruger SP101 .357 revolver with a crimson trace lasergrip. I never use it for.357's except when I go to the range, I keep .38 special +P hollow points in it for concealed use. (& have 2 speedloaders handy)
I like the simplicity of the revolver because it never jams or would be damaged if dropped. Once you find what you like you will probably get an automatic of some sort--but personally I like at least a .38 or .40.

I never had any handguns until right before our illustrious president came along, then I was guided by all my gun toting friends. Most of them give me crap about still carrying a revolver, but I am old and I still like it. (It's much better than nothing)
I do have a Sig Sauer .40 but only open carry it.

Last edited:
Get your budget in mind. Then go to a good gun store that has a firing range. Most of them have rental guns. Shoot all the guns you like and can afford. You'll have to pay for ammo. At the end of the day you'll know what guns you like and can afford. If you're going to carry concealed... rate the gun on weight and how you'll carry it. Also keep in mind how many rounds it can fire without reloading. I wanted a PPK but I couldn't afford it so I ended up with a Bersa .380. I use Home Defender ammo with a 7 round magazine and I keep 1 in the chamber for a total of 8 rounds. And like American Express... I never leave home without it. Watch this video... Bersa Thunder 380 acp Pistol - YouTube

tampabaynews

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for all the suggestions. From time to time my job takes me into some sketchy places while carrying expensive camera equipment so yeah, you never know. Hope I never have to use it but I'd sure feel a little safer being armed.

Thanks for all the suggestions. From time to time my job takes me into some sketchy places while carrying expensive camera equipment so yeah, you never know. Hope I never have to use it but I'd sure feel a little safer being armed.
Always good to have one when the time comes. Have you decided on what firearm manufacture your going to go with? Glock, Springfield Armory & Kimber and Smith & Wesson are the best on the market.

Status
Not open for further replies.