• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

First pistol for concealed carry

Status
Not open for further replies.

sjgostovich

Premium Subscriber
Glock 27

It's a great weapon. I've had one since 2004, well over 10k rounds through it with no issues other than cosmetic blems from carry. It will cycle any crap ammo you run through it and there is an abundance of good holsters for it. Lot's of great carry guns out there these days but I bet my and my familys safety on the Glock. The old saying is "the best carry gun is the one you have when the sh*t hits the fan.." I still think there is some truth to that..

tampabaynews

Premium Subscriber
Always good to have one when the time comes. Have you decided on what firearm manufacture your going to go with? Glock, Springfield Armory & Kimber and Smith & Wesson are the best on the market.
I'm leaning towards Glock, specifically the 26 or 27, but I'm open to others. I'm going to do like many others have suggested and just spend a day at the range and see what feels good.

I'm leaning towards Glock, specifically the 26 or 27, but I'm open to others. I'm going to do like many others have suggested and just spend a day at the range and see what feels good.
Glocks and Springfield Armory XD, XDM & XDS (new version) seem to be popular in our area. My cousin shot and carried his Glock .45 right before he was killed in the line duty he loved shooting it. For the best gun store/range I've seen with a big range of handguns and galore is Shoot Straight over by Adamo Dr, in Tampa.

http://www.shoot-straight.com/

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for all the suggestions. From time to time my job takes me into some sketchy places while carrying expensive camera equipment so yeah, you never know. Hope I never have to use it but I'd sure feel a little safer being armed.
Most street crooks just want money, or stuff they can sell quickly. Insure your equipment, and hand it over, if robbed. Keep your weapon as a surprise, in case things go really badly.

Remember, rear-entry shots are not considered defense. :)

ff-medic

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
The Appalachians - Next to the tent and campfire.
I'm leaning towards Glock, specifically the 26 or 27, but I'm open to others.

The Glock Model 26 is the subcompact 9mm. The Model 27...if memory serves me correct, is the compact 40. Pardon the expression, but they are howitizers.

Compact guns of that size, and short barrel length..MOST GENERALLY, the ammo does not have alot of velocity due to the short barrel length. Thiere is however, alot of noise when they go "Bang", and a huge deafening muzzle blast. And again, however reliable Glocks are, my biggest wammie against them is no external safety.......... ---> ACCOMPAINED by a relatively light trigger pull - About 5.5 pounds ; UNLESS you can find one with a "New York Trigger" , which I belive is about an 8 pound setting.

IF...and I mean IF you do get a Glock and you want the "nine" or the " forty" get the mid-sized model - the 19 (9mm) or the 23 ( .40 ). A midsized gun, and you will not compromise velocity, and accuracy, and they are easily to conceal, HOWEVER ; I would wear a belt holster, not an inside the waistband holster, as the handgun , in my belief ---> is more susceptible to discharge by either : tucking it while loaded inside the pants alone ( clothes, shirt gets tangled inside the trigger guard discharging the handgun ), or manupulating the handgun in a "inside the waistband holster."

Glock .45's are extremely wide for me. The midsized .40 I owned ( model 23 ) was comfortable, and the model 19 was really great, as for its size and relatively thin frame. I carried my model 23 camping, but it was never "****ed" ( one in the chamber ) , as for when I sleep I put my Surefire flashlight, handgun, backup pistol magazine..all inside my boonie cap, that is beside me... before I go to sleep. A "****ed" Glock, possibly sliding inside the tent, and or getting knocked around while I moved inside the tent while sleeping, was not a great thought to me.

The Model 23 ( midsized 40 cal )...I had...had night sites, was extremely accurate, and in a .40 caliber give me better ballistics ( velocity and energy ) out to 40 yards plus, than the loads I have for my .45 ACP. And it had firepower.

Have you looked at the Smith and Wesson M&P series. They have a thumb safety, similar to a model 1911 pistol. And like Glocks they are striker fired. And they are not all that expensive.

FF - Medic !!!

ff-medic

Banned
Most street crooks just want money, or stuff they can sell quickly. Insure your equipment, and hand it over, if robbed. Keep your weapon as a surprise, in case things go really badly.

Remember, rear-entry shots are not considered defense. :)
Well. This is not the "70s"..nor the early "1980's" Most street crooks today, in my opinion, will seriously injure or kill you while trying to commit a robbery, especially in Florida. My mothers side of my family is from Florida.

Don't the Police have the ??? 12 foot rule.....???? 15 foot rule, that if an armed assailent is inside that threat area, they can shoot, without warning, due to the time it takes to cover that area and shoot the officer with a firearm, and or stab the officer with a knife or other improvised weapon?

Who says that after you hand " Your loot" over you will not be physically harmed afterwards?

There is alot of possibilities than can occur during a robbery. Alot of negative possibilities.

Hypothetically - If...IF the badguy knows you are armed ( a distant aquaintance - friend of a friend ), what is the chance in you getting robbed?

Hypothetically. I have a Sig-Sauer ( firearms ), or a Smith&Wesson ( firearms ) sticker on my car, and you do not, and we are driving in Tampa Florida, in seperate vehicles. Who do you think is most likely to get car jacked...YOU or me.

Remember, you may not be the last victim, and most certainly was probably not the first. Although there is rules to the use and deployement of Lethal Force ; some criminals do get braver and braver in their criminal endeavors. Some have a "rap sheet" , and or long history of crime, disorderly offenses, and conflicting with Police.

Even the weak, women, and the elderly are not immune to crime. And in crime, sometimes someone gets hurt, and in some instances seriously. I would hate to think I was responsible for an event that seriously injured someone, for someone becoming hospitalized, or even loosing their life.

I read recently where a man tryed to carjack a female. He reached in the car with a knife. She withdrew a 5 shot - 38 special revolver, stuck it against his chest and pulled the trigger. He was responsible for prior carjackings, and either two or three physical assaults against women ( I understood he only carjacked female drivers ). The female with the .38 special revolver stopped his criminal activity, and his heinous acts against women. GOOD for her.

After the "robbery" takers place, you do not know if the criminal is going to hurt you, or someone else.... AFTER you comply with their commands.

FF - Medic !!!

Last edited:

ff-medic

Banned
Don't the Police have the ??? 12 foot rule.....???? 15 foot rule, that if an armed assailent is inside that threat area, they can shoot, without warning, due to the time it takes to cover that area and shoot the officer with a firearm, and or stab the officer with a knife or other improvised weapon?

Ahhhh. Google works great

Tueller Drill - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

-------------------------------------------------------------

" Lafayette Police Lieutenant Brad Bishop says in police training on use of force, officers learn about the "21-foot rule." The rule states a person with a knife can cover 21 feet in about 1.5 to 2.5 seconds, being able to stab a victim faster than an officer can get his gun from the holster and shoot it. And that's under ideal circumstances."

21-foot rule shows danger of knives | WLFI - West Lafayette, Indiana

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Have you looked at the Smith and Wesson M&P series. They have a thumb safety, similar to a model 1911 pistol. And like Glocks they are striker fired. And they are not all that expensive.
I carry an M&P; there is no thumb safety. There is a trigger "safety" that is similar to a Glock setup. The SP series, which is on the same frame, I believe, has a thumb safety.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Well. This is not the "70s"..nor the early "1980's" Most street crooks today, in my opinion, will seriously injure or kill you while trying to commit a robbery, especially in Florida. My mothers side of my family is from Florida.
Your opinion is yours to have, of course, but the crime stats do not support it. There could well be some differences, based on locality.

My law enforcement training has been for letting someone no closer than 16 feet, preferably 20 feet. Our defensive tactics class demonstrations clearly show why.

Who says that after you hand " Your loot" over you will not be physically harmed afterwards?
There is no way to know, but someone intent on harming you is, probably, going to do so at the start.

Hypothetically - If...IF the badguy knows you are armed ( a distant aquaintance - friend of a friend ), what is the chance in you getting robbed?
Then they would know:
1) I don't have enough to take, to make it worth their effort.
2) I am not the person to try and rob, armed or not.

Hypothetically. I have a Sig-Sauer ( firearms ), or a Smith&Wesson ( firearms ) sticker on my car, and you do not, and we are driving in Tampa Florida, in seperate vehicles. Who do you think is most likely to get car jacked...YOU or me.
The person who gave away the element of surprise, and be car jacked by someone who will ambush the driver.

The female with the .38 special revolver stopped his criminal activity, and his heinous acts against women. GOOD for her.
Agreed. I am good with reading about a dead "bad guy" rather than a dead victim.

tampabaynews

Premium Subscriber
I know I started this thread a long time ago but I wanted to thank everyone for their input. I recently purchased my Glock 27 and awaiting my permit.

kbod9633

Premium Subscriber
I know I started this thread a long time ago but I wanted to thank everyone for their input. I recently purchased my Glock 27 and awaiting my permit.
Great choice its what I carry and sometimes I just have a ruger lcp on an ankle

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

nmelfi

Premium Subscriber
Although I have better and more powerfull pistols to carry, my S&W airweight 38 is my favorite. Trust me it will get your attention and if I ever have to use it it will be close range, not deer hunting.It is the most comfortable gun to carry,very light and compact.And being a revolver it greatly reduce the chances of accidental shooting. It may only hold five rounds,but if I can't hit my target with 5 I shouldn't own a gun.

gewecke

Banned
Although I have better and more powerfull pistols to carry, my S&W airweight 38 is my favorite. Trust me it will get your attention and if I ever have to use it it will be close range, not deer hunting.It is the most comfortable gun to carry,very light and compact.And being a revolver it greatly reduce the chances of accidental shooting. It may only hold five rounds,but if I can't hit my target with 5 I shouldn't own a gun.

One round, one kill...

n9zas

ff-medic

Banned
I have a S&W .38 "J-Frame" myself. A great pistol. 5 shot and hammerless.

My belief, is that there are guns for concealed carry, and guns for house defense. In this day and age, and with criminals and assailants becoming more bolder, I favor and reccommend an automatic. 9mm, .40, or .45 - all three are good with the correct loads.

The airweight .38 you speak of is a great handgun. But the 5 shot "Speedloaders" are bulky, unless it is winter time, and you carry them in your jacket or coat.

Multiple assailants, one or multiple attackers whom is moving rapidly, or an attacker catches you out in the open ( Parking lot at mall / supermarket, inside a store or mall ) and decides that they need to create havoc may need to be what I describe as suppressed. Meaning ( suppressed ), you fire upon your
attacker(s) as you 1) seek cover - 2) pin the attacker down so they will not fire and injure-maim-kill you or anyone else.

The logic and training among some civilain firearms instructors, as well as some Law Enforcement academys, is to fire discretionary, and to fire rounds that only absolutely need to be fired. In other words, be strictly accountable for your rounds fired, absolutely don't go with "Guns Blazing".

Being strict on the rounds of ammo you fire, and practicing good fire discipline is OK, but I can understand, and have read, where firing upon an attacker, or attackers to pin their heads down is necessary...to prevent them from injuring - maiming - or killing an innocent person. This is why Law Enforcement officers need to carry submachine guns and or rifles in their cruiser. This gives them 1) additional firepower - 2) extended reach beyond a handguns range - 3) and the ability to hit "Bad Guys" behind barriers - 4) it lets them have the mobility of a "Long gun" as well as a handgun ( transition from long gun to sidearm ).

Now the downside to that is "IF" the "Incident" goes to court, the opposing legal counsel, "Prosecutor / DA " may not side with you, and make you look like a old time western gunmen who decided to turn the shopping mall / mall / parking lot..ect..... into the "OK Corral" and your severe disregard for the lives of the other civilians. You need to be locked up, your concealed weapons permit revolked, and the need for civil penaltys. Well....from some "Suit" that is their way of thinking, cause.....now you ready for this...They were not there, and their life was not in jeopardy as the robbery, gun incident..ect event...went wrong. There heart was not racing, they were not thinking of their family, and they were not breathing 40 - 50 times a minute, and they did not feel their pulse in their temple, and they were not scared "To Death".

The most reliable handgun is of course....the revolver. And I have read where 5 shot revolvers are on the ankes in holsters, jacket pockets, weak sided inside the pants holsters of Police Officers nationwide, because, revolvers are so reliable, and they are most likely not to jam or "break down", than automatics.

The five shot small framed revolver ( S&W - Taurus ) is a great handgun for the stroll in the woods, a gun beside the nightstand for a house protection gun, or even just a gun for the vehicle. But for concealed carry, I prefer an auto, with at least one magazine backup. The one magazine backup is = 1) extra ammo should you need it - 2) a extra magazine of ammo should for any reason your primary magazine fails ( broken or worn spring, follower breaks..ect..ect ).

A 9mm automatic handgun, and a Taurus 9mm revolver would make a great combination, and they both use the same ammo. If you have a significant other, these would be two great pistols to let them shoot. Especially the revolver. A flat shooting pistol, with little to no recoil, and less muzzle blast than other comperable handguns.

In the house, especially if you live in an urban area - Standard load 147 grain ammo. It is subsonic and has less velocity and penetration than most 115 and 124 grain bullets.

Outside the house, depending on your preference = 124+P ammo or 147 +P ammo. These two rounds would give you great flat shooting trajectory, which lets you shoot without compensating much ( aiming high, or aiming low = bullet rise and drop ). I prefer the 124+P myself. CCI / Speer ammo...."Gold Dots" if you can get them.

Out for a stroll, walking in the woods, or as a "Car gun", the small frame 5 shot handguns are great. Concealed carry & self defense...I prefer an automatic.

FF-Medic !!!

Last edited:
I personally carry a Taurus PT140 in a belt holster, or an EAA .38 special with an in the waist band holster.

Sometimes I carry either gun in a 5.11 tactical holster shirt.

My .40 I have Speer hollow point, the .38 I have Remington JHP +P, 125 gr.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

Status
Not open for further replies.