• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

First Scanner for 80yr old father

Status
Not open for further replies.
My dad has always enjoyed listening to police and fire calls but since the local system was changed from the old crystal type radios he stopped listening.

He lives in Wichita Falls Tx and i would like to buy him something that he can enjoy again.

Can someone please point me in the right direction?
I know he would like to hear car to car if possible.

Thank you

n5dhg

Premium Subscriber
Scanning today is not as simple as it once was. For whatever scanner you pick, you will need the software and cables to program it. Before programming, you will need to sit down and decide what you want to listen to and how you want to organize it.

Currently, the Wichita Falls PD and FD operate in an EDACS Provoice Digital Trunked Radio System (TRS) and all the PD talk groups (TG) are encrypted. The PD/FD Interoperability TG’s and the FD TG’s are currently unencrypted.

I know of only two scanners that will receive a Provoice Digital TRS and they are the Uniden BCD436HP (hand held) and the BCD536HP (Base), but neither will do it right out of the box. Both require an additional cost firmware update, but you can buy the update on line and enable it yourself on the scanner. Currently that upgrade is $50 per scanner.

There are some entities in County that have moved to Digital Mobile Radio (DMR). Here again, only the BCD4/536 will receive these frequencies and that is another upgrade and it currently costs $60 per radio.

The entire Wichita Falls Public Works Department is currently operating in the NXDN mode and I do not think there is a scanner available that will monitor that type of operation.

Wichita Falls is in the process of bringing a new Public Safety TRS on line, but I do not know exactly when. This new system will be a Project 25 Phase II TRS and there are additional scanners available that will monitor it. I am not sure which TG’s will be encrypted and which unencrypted. I would think, since they are encrypted on the EDACS system, at least the PD TG’s will be encrypted on the new system.

Sheppard AFB operates in a Federal TRS and it can be monitored by today’s better scanners.

The majority of the other Public Service entities in Wichita County operate on VHF high band frequencies. Some of the departments do have encrypted frequencies. There are also a few UHF frequencies in use, but not many.

Would suggest looking at the database area of Radio Reference to get an idea of the specific frequencies involved.

Thank you so much for the info.
Thats alot of help.

So i guess since he can't listen to the pd or fd it would not be worth it to him.

Thanks for your time.

Apparently I am not going to be able to help him.
I was just trying to do something nice.
It's the least i can do over the years he has done a lot more for me.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I know of only two scanners that will receive a Provoice Digital TRS and they are the Uniden BCD436HP (hand held) and the BCD536HP (Base), but neither will do it right out of the box. Both require an additional cost firmware update, but you can buy the update on line and enable it yourself on the scanner. Currently that upgrade is $50 per scanner.
With Wichita Falls moving to a P25 system, although I don't know their timetable, the ProvVoice upgrade may not be worth the cost.
Currently, the Wichita Falls PD and FD operate in an EDACS Provoice Digital Trunked Radio System (TRS) and all the PD talk groups (TG) are encrypted. The PD/FD Interoperability TG’s and the FD TG’s are currently unencrypted.
There are some entities in County that have moved to Digital Mobile Radio (DMR). Here again, only the BCD4/536 will receive these frequencies and that is another upgrade and it currently costs $60 per radio.
The Whistler TRX-1 & TRX-2 also do DMR (MotoTRBO) with a no-charge upgrade, as does the WS1080, WS1088, WS1095, and WS1098 (after a free update).

The entire Wichita Falls Public Works Department is currently operating in the NXDN mode and I do not think there is a scanner available that will monitor that type of operation.
The TRX-1 & TRX-2 may also get an update for NXDN, later this year. See http://forums.radioreference.com/whistler-scanners/333386-cats-out-bag.html

Uniden has not announced whether or not the BCD436HP & BCD536HP will get an update for NXDN, or if so, at what cost.

Wichita Falls is in the process of bringing a new Public Safety TRS on line, but I do not know exactly when. This new system will be a Project 25 Phase II TRS and there are additional scanners available that will monitor it. I am not sure which TG’s will be encrypted and which unencrypted. I would think, since they are encrypted on the EDACS system, at least the PD TG’s will be encrypted on the new system.
The units mentioned above will all handle a Phase II system, though as noted, nothing can receive the encrypted talkgroups.

Status
Not open for further replies.