• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

First Time G5 & PPS User Programming Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrRadio

Hi guys. I'm soon to be first time owner of a Unication pager (VHF/700-800 G5).

After reading these threads and watching U David's and a few other PPS how-to videos, I'm still scratching my head and have some questions...

I've installed the PPS and taken screen shots (with questions added).

I will add that I'm not interested in setting it up to actually "page", but only act as a monitor/scanner. I know there is no Hold or Delay so I'm trying to set it up in a way that has a few knob positions with a dozen or less talkgroups and a few that have only 1-3 talk-groups. I want the last one (knob position 8) to be the only VHF group and contain about 14 freqs. (which I have added in PPS page 2)

Thanks for your assistance.

Attachments

• PPS Screen of VHF Freqs.jpg
    PPS Screen of VHF Freqs.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 1,043
  • PPS Screen of Knob Positions & Zones.jpg
    PPS Screen of Knob Positions & Zones.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 1,049

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber
Each knob is only from that zone...so Zone 1 - Knob 1. To get to Zone 2, you need to change zones.
For conventional channels...unless I am missing something, you need to set up the 14 channels as 14 knob positions (which can be buried out of the way several zones down) and then make the knob you want (like knob 8) to be a scan list of those 14 zone/knob pairs. It seems weird, but I don't know a different way to do it.

troymail

Silent Key
Each knob is only from that zone...so Zone 1 - Knob 1. To get to Zone 2, you need to change zones.
For conventional channels...unless I am missing something, you need to set up the 14 channels as 14 knob positions (which can be buried out of the way several zones down) and then make the knob you want (like knob 8) to be a scan list of those 14 zone/knob pairs. It seems weird, but I don't know a different way to do it.

This is correct -- the radio requires you to create a "Monitor Mode" knob position for each conventional frequency first and then you can create a scanlist ("Normal Scan") knob position with any combination of those conventional channels.

I believe this is because the conventional channels each have attributes that can be set (like CSQ or P25, TGIDs, and/or tone settings). For various reasons, it makes more sense to define each conventional frequency and the attributes for it) that you want to monitor all in one place and then create scanlists after that. The base "monitor mode" items can be reused in any number of places once created.

MrRadio

Thunder and Troy, thanks.

Troy, I read the thread where you and Johnnydollar2 explain how to set up the VHF freqs to scan.

I did that tonight so I'll find out soon if it (and all the other programming) is correct.

I'm told not to be surprised if getting it to work correctly (programming) takes 5 or 6 times.

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
First time G5&PPS user ??s

@MR. Radio. I was looking at the site tonight.. I saw your area "windy city" I have a PPS already made up to upload for our area, but it's based on Starcom21 SITE #149 in NW suburbs. The VHF is set up in a few zones (Kane Co and Cook local) it *scans from the first knob position on those Zones* I left it for a Canada G4/5 user who was visiting Chicago-land soon. I don't know where you're at but it could give you an idea of how we set up those VHF Zones. I notice the VHF comes in really great locally but the lack of outside antenna in the unit for VHF limits it. I see why they do this, you're surrounded by YOUR own fire freqs so it makes sense as it's not a scanner. Here's the link to test it if you want. You can always delete it. It was done in the OLDER PPS too. ;0)

https://forums.radioreference.com/i...um/360169-unication-g5-files.html#post2831699

Last edited by a moderator:

troymail

Silent Key
Thunder and Troy, thanks.

Troy, I read the thread where you and Johnnydollar2 explain how to set up the VHF freqs to scan.

I did that tonight so I'll find out soon if it (and all the other programming) is correct.

I'm told not to be surprised if getting it to work correctly (programming) takes 5 or 6 times.

The key while learning (this or any) programming software is to experiment with a small number of things - i.e. program 1 or 2 conventional frequencies and then a scanlist (Normal Scan) to make sure things work before getting too far into it..... Push it to the radio - if it works - great! If not, back out and try again....

MrRadio

Johnny, thanks.

I will likely try your PPS file after I see if what I created is working... or not.

I'm not sure if I want the VHF freqs to scan from the first or last knob position but I can always change it. I was going to make knob position 8 the VHF/VHF scan group.

My first priority is really the trunking talkgroups and scan lists.

MrRadio

Troy,

That is my thinking too. I figured the 4 knob positions (P25 Trunking) in Zone 1, 2 knob positions in Zone 2, and then 3 knob positions at the end (VHF) in Zone 4 would enable me to figure it out before I add anything else.

MrRadio

So, I'm sure you guys have heard this dozens of times but I'm going to say it again.

This G5 radio is EXCELLENT! Almost everything about it blows all the scanners out of the water! It sounds better than my Motorola EX600 and almost as good as a Saber.

Hearing P25 calls that my 325p2 is missing due to simulcast... check
Audio level... check (but could use a tad more bass)
Display... check
Solid signal... check
Size... check

About the only thing I would add (as many of you already know) is a 2-5 second programmable delay per talk-group or zone.

I do have a question though...

I thought I would have a lot more info. on the screen during transmissions (including the talk-group ID) but I'm only seeing the Group Alias and what appears to be the actual radio ID (unit) transmitting.

In the PPS program, I have all items that can be shown on the right (so that they should be on the screen).

So, I see " Fm [273219]" but not the PD dispatch talk-group I programmed (2744)

Is it because I used the wild card FFFFF and FFF in programming the systems instead of the real system hex ID's?

Here's a few pics of what I'm seeing.

Attachments

• IMG_4877.jpg
    IMG_4877.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 730
  • IMG_4879.jpg
    IMG_4879.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 739
Last edited:

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
On your first pic, the first line displayed after Receive Voice Call is based on the alpha tag you programmed for the Group ID of the talkgroup DEC/HEX. The second line is the radio UID transmitting (which cannot be alpha tagged at this time).

The second pic...
First line you set on the far left of the tab where you assign the 8 knob positions. Right now it says Zone 1, you can change that to say “XYZ P25 TRS” etc.

Second line, click on the box and on the top right where you select Trunking TG Scan yon can alpha tag that knob position. Last line is RFSS/Site you are locked on. That alpha tag cannot be displayed currently, but you can change it from DEC to HEX and vice versa and that will display. But, if you alpha tag it you can scroll den using the Center knob and it will show the alpha tag of the site.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MrRadio

Thanks Signal-Zero. I will do some reprogramming tonight.

One more important feature that I think it really needs is a HOLD button.

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
Yeah the Hold request (along with others) has been received by Unication. When they do that, who knows.

MrRadio

Yes, that's probably what I'll be doing but I hate to use up 1 of only 8 positions within a zone. I guess I have no choice.

I can see this programming being a work-in-progress. It's nice that we can have up to 32 zones (is it still 32?) per knob position to get my most important talk-groups up front.

That said, I'm starting to think about doing it this way:

- 7 knob positions in zone 1 for 7 scan lists (no delay of course) leaving knob position 8 for a single talk-group
- 7 knob positions in zone 2 for 7 scan lists
- 8 knob positions in zones 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 etc. for single a single channel/talk-group in each knob position

just make one channel a single talkgroup works great like a HOLD

this is how i did mine is Ch-1 all scan Ch-2 Fire Dispatch (ONLY) then Ch-3,4,5,6,7,8, is Single Talkgroup for Fire Tacs Ch-3 Tac-1,Ch-4 Tac-2,Ch-5 Tac-3,Ch-6 Tac-4,Ch-7 Tac-5,Ch-8 Tac-6

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
I will tell you planning is the key otherwise you will be using copy and paste a lot. I have mine set up for my specific needs. For example, one City I have SCAN-ALL, SCAN-PD, SCAN-F/R, then one talkgroups for PD MAIN, PD INFO, PD TAC, FIRE MAIN, FIRE TAC. On a large Statewide system like NC VIPER, I have one zone that scans only NCHP that covers I-95, same for Palmetto P25 for SCHP in the next Zone. Then all the other knob positions in those zones are basically each County along that route (PD, FD, Sheriff Main and select others as well as HP). This way I can switch knobs at the County line.

MrRadio

Thanks for the tips. I will be planning out my programming in a similar way.

On another note, can anyone tell me why I'm getting 1/2 the text cut off when 1 specific freq. comes up?

I have knob position 8/Zone 1 set to scan 7 VHF freqs (that were programmed individually, 1 to a zone in knob positions 1-7 in Zone 2. All the other 6 alpha tags show up correctly. The tag IS "6ChEhHKbObVpYc" but unlike the "3 RED North (E)" going active, it gets cut in half when it goes active.

Attachments

• IMG_4882.jpg
    IMG_4882.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 622
  • IMG_4883.jpg
    IMG_4883.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 608
  • IMG_4884.jpg
    IMG_4884.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 616
Status
Not open for further replies.