First time scanner - BCT15X

Status
Not open for further replies.

roundobi

I just acquired the Uniden BCT-15x scanner from a company I did trade work for. I've used various QuickTime mirrors of local scanners from radio reference, but have never had the guts of money to get into real scanning! So tell me if i'm crazy here.

I live in Utah, right by BYU. Lots of radio traffic, just from fire and EMS. Radioreference has lots of information on the trunked systems used by the city police and the university IT department. When i do get this scanner, I would like to mount it in my car. It can be drilled into the bottom of the console replacing the ashtray, and run off the car power right above it.

So there is the story, and here are my questions.

1. I'm receiving a brand new scanner, everything in the box. (i understand this does not include a printed manual). Am i going to need anything else? Antenna for the car?

2. Without hooking this to a computer, will i be able to program it?

3. Am I crazy to think that having a radio in your car is supreme?

4. I understand the BCT15x is newer than the non-x version. What's new?

I'm Tech savvy and will learn whatever it takes to get my scanner going!

Thanks for any input!

Collins

garys

Premium Subscriber
1) You will need an antenna for the car.

2) You can, but you won't want to. They are labor intensive if you are trying to program them manually.

3) No. At least not to those of us on Radio Reference. Normal people might think you're nuts, but who cares?

4) Mostly features, but if you've never used one of the older versions, you aren't going to even notice it.

If you don't want to spend money on programming software, go to scannow.org and download Freescan. It's a very good free program and is compatible with the RR database if you are a premium subscriber. If you aren't you can still use the database and Freescan, but you will have to do a lot of cut and paste to get the information into the program. You can also ask over in the Utah forum and see if anyone has a Freescan file for the area they are willing to let you use.

Drowsiness

2) You can, but you won't want to. They are labor intensive if you are trying to program them manually.

3) No. At least not to those of us on Radio Reference. Normal people might think you're nuts, but who cares?

4) Mostly features, but if you've never used one of the older versions, you aren't going to even notice it.

If you don't want to spend money on programming software, go to scannow.org and download Freescan. It's a very good free program and is compatible with the RR database if you are a premium subscriber. If you aren't you can still use the database and Freescan, but you will have to do a lot of cut and paste to get the information into the program. You can also ask over in the Utah forum and see if anyone has a Freescan file for the area they are willing to let you use.

But... we ARE the normal people!

roundobi

Alriiiight! Good thing to know that i'm just a normal person who wants a radio in his car!

So, will any BNC antenna work in the car? I've seen some that should work, they also look pretty cheap. Any tips on installation?

I'll definitely look at that program, I'm definitely willing to go through the cut-and-paste-olypics required to program it. I'll head over to that utah forum and see what people have.

Drowsiness

Alriiiight! Good thing to know that i'm just a normal person who wants a radio in his car!

So, will any BNC antenna work in the car? I've seen some that should work, they also look pretty cheap. Any tips on installation?

I'll definitely look at that program, I'm definitely willing to go through the cut-and-paste-olypics required to program it. I'll head over to that utah forum and see what people have.

FreeSCAN has a feature called "EZ GRAB" that allows you to copy the frequency table from RR and then paste it into FreeSCAN. It then takes that information and arranges it so it makes sense and works. Pretty easy, actually.

garys

Premium Subscriber
FreeSCAN has a feature called "EZ GRAB" that allows you to copy the frequency table from RR and then paste it into FreeSCAN. It then takes that information and arranges it so it makes sense and works. Pretty easy, actually.

That is cool. I usually use ARCXT and the RR database, but that's a cool way to import. Thanks for the tip.

garys

Premium Subscriber

Don't skimp on the antenna. I don't know what frequency bands you'll be listening to, but a good multi band external antenna is a wise investment.

norcalbusa

Before you buy an antenna for your car- make sure the typical 12' of cable is sufficient for the cable route. It's readily available in 17' as well, but you have to Google around a bit for it.

Drowsiness

That is cool. I usually use ARCXT and the RR database, but that's a cool way to import. Thanks for the tip.

I didn't like ARCXT much when I tried it, so went to FreeSCAN. FreeSCAN will also import from the RRDB, but I haven't paid for membership yet and cannot use the feature.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
I'll add a couple of things here...

a. We have a very good FAQ on the DMA scanners. It has LOTS of pages, so don't be discouraged if you don't find what you need immediately. Be like a gopher and dig. (anything in blue is a link)

Uniden DMA FAQ - The RadioReference Wiki

Be sure to read the page on systems, sites and groups. To me, that is the KEY to understanding on how DMA works. Everything else is gravy, but as long as you understand this concept, you're 2/3 of the way home.

b. Regardless of what software you use, you will undoubtedly need a USB-serial converter so you can connect your PC (newer ones don't have serial ports anymore...) to the 15X. This article discusses this in detail...

Connecting scanners via USB - The RadioReference Wiki

Fortunately if you find it hard (to wait) to get a USB1 from Scanner Master, there are a number of alternatives that folks have reported work well.

This is an important point - when you set up the ports in the 15X, be sure to allocate the front port for programming, the rear for GPS. This is because the front port is the only one you can use to install any future firmware fixes; the rear port cannot be used for this purpose

c. Finally, the FreeScan user guide is stored in our wiki...

FreeScan user guide - the RR Wiki

73 (best regards) Mike

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.