First Time Sentinel User Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

rs16

Premium Subscriber
I’ve created my first favorites lists for my 436 pretty easily but I have a couple general Sentinel questions. Previously, I was scanning just by service type.

1. Do I need to create a profile? Why should I create one?

2. When the database is updated, how will I know if that affects any of the frequencies in my favorite lists? Or do you not know other than when you look weekly and see the highlighted rows?

Thanks for any help.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
You can't use Sentinel without a profile. It's where all of the scanner settings are stored that are not channels. One is created by default when you install Sentinel.

Database updates have no effect on favorite lists. You have to manually update/refresh them from the database.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
Yes, have to create a profile, which is integral to organizing your scanner. If you travel to an area often, create a Profile for that area as it makes it real easy to switch to switch between profiles.

Favorites Lists are not updated when the database updates. You must stay on top of it to remain programmed for optimal performance.

rs16

Premium Subscriber
You can't use Sentinel without a profile. It's where all of the scanner settings are stored that are not channels. One is created by default when you install Sentinel.

Database updates have no effect on favorite lists. You have to manually update/refresh them from the database.

OK, I’ll create one. Out of curiosity, could I just use the default one?

Saint

Premium Subscriber
Yes you can use the default one if it's set up the way you want your scanner to be. Go into the profile that was created and click on each drop down list and set them up the way you like and then save it, that's it.
Steve

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
Being a First Time User, go ahead and call that profile REHEARSAL lol, because you will make mistakes and have to start over at some point lol. Maybe, like me, a few times haha. Take your time, put on a pot (or 2) of coffee and study on it. It is a great program once you understand it and all of the nuances. Have fun with it!

drdispatch

What's the frequency, Kenneth?
Premium Subscriber
Being a First Time User, go ahead and call that profile REHEARSAL lol, because you will make mistakes and have to start over at some point lol. Maybe, like me, a few times haha. Take your time, put on a pot (or 2) of coffee and study on it. It is a great program once you understand it and all of the nuances. Have fun with it!
I was thinking of a different beverage, but yeah, coffee works.....

KE5MC

Premium Subscriber
2. When the database is updated, how will I know if that affects any of the frequencies in my favorite lists? Or do you not know other than when you look weekly and see the highlighted rows?
See the attachment for my home page on RR. Each of the dated items relates to an item in my favorites list in Sentinel. Each named favorites item includes the last date that item had a database update as it relates to MyRR home page. When I see an update on MyRR home page I can click on that flagged item and see what the changes are and if I should change the favorite list item data and date too. A little extra work, but it keeps me from missing change in the database I should be applying to my favorites list.
MyRR.jpg

FL_List.jpg

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber

Yes. Sentinel creates that default Profile just to have something it can refer to as it goes through the motions. Multiple/additional profiles are helpful for different scanners or scanning scenarios. If you are the basic meat and potatoes scannist, by all means use the default.

rs16

Premium Subscriber
See the attachment for my home page on RR. Each of the dated items relates to an item in my favorites list in Sentinel. Each named favorites item includes the last date that item had a database update as it relates to MyRR home page. When I see an update on MyRR home page I can click on that flagged item and see what the changes are and if I should change the favorite list item data and date too. A little extra work, but it keeps me from missing change in the database I should be applying to my favorites list.
View attachment 78412

View attachment 78413
This is a great example...Thanks.

rs16

Premium Subscriber
Yes. Sentinel creates that default Profile just to have something it can refer to as it goes through the motions. Multiple/additional profiles are helpful for different scanners or scanning scenarios. If you are the basic meat and potatoes scannist, by all means use the default.
I'm pretty basic for sure.

rs16

Premium Subscriber
What's the easiest way to assign a quick to each of my 10 favorite lists?

Am I just right-clicking the favorites list, clicking on program favorites list, and then typing the number in Quick Key box?

When I look at System Quick Key status, 0-99 are checked.

I just want to be able to turn each list on or off when I'm scanning.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
There are three different types of Quick Keys. They are Department, System and Favorites List. Kind of containers within containers within containers. You are look at the largest, Favorites List.

To set a Favorites List Quick key, edit the Favorites List and look at the right pane, Options tab. You should see a drop down FL Quick Key to assign the Favorites List Quick Key. Pick what you like and save the Favorites List.

A lot of folks, including myself, incorporate the FLQK in the name of the Favorites List, such as "F00 KY-Jefferson Co" to assist in remembering things.

Then to toggle the Favorites List Quick Key (thus the Favorites List) it is "FLQK# Eyes".

Practice and practice until it becomes second nature.

rs16

Premium Subscriber
There are three different types of Quick Keys. They are Department, System and Favorites List. Kind of containers within containers within containers. You are look at the largest, Favorites List.

To set a Favorites List Quick key, edit the Favorites List and look at the right pane, Options tab. You should see a drop down FL Quick Key to assign the Favorites List Quick Key. Pick what you like and save the Favorites List.

A lot of folks, including myself, incorporate the FLQK in the name of the Favorites List, such as "F00 KY-Jefferson Co" to assist in remembering things.

Then to toggle the Favorites List Quick Key (thus the Favorites List) it is "FLQK# Eyes".

Practice and practice until it becomes second nature.

I created favorites lists and gave each a Quick Key. I did not assign a QK to any departments or systems (as I don't really understand it). Do I have to assign Quick Keys to those, or can I just scan each list with a QK assigned to the whole list?

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I created favorites lists and gave each a Quick Key. I did not assign a QK to any departments or systems (as I don't really understand it). Do I have to assign Quick Keys to those, or can I just scan each list with a QK assigned to the whole list?
You're not required to use Quick Keys at all. But if you do use them, it gives you a quicker way to turn systems, departments, or sites on or off as desired. If you're happy just using the Favorites list quick keys, then go for it. But if you decide, at some point, to also assign them to systems or departments (or sites), that would give you a quicker way to narrow down what you are scanning if there was some major event in progress that you wanted to follow. Like a chase coming through your area, a large fire with other cities sending mutual aid, or anything else that you wanted to concentrate on.

Status
Not open for further replies.