Fixed Base Station definition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bazel

I've searched this forum and I've searched the FCC and still can't find a definition for "fixed base station" as used all over the FCC regulations. They talk about a "small base station" and define that and then on and talk about fixed base stations.

Does it take a special permit?
Must it be located at a street address?
How long does it exist to be 'fixed'?

Since the FCC doesn't define as far as I can find, you could say from their regs that it is station that operates over 5 watts and has an antenna over 20 feet because that's all I can find.

WB4CS

I don't think this thread belongs in the Amateur Radio section, but I'll see if I can help out.

Is this what you're looking for?
FCC Station Class Codes - The RadioReference Wiki

Edit: The way I read it, it would be just as it sounds. A "fixed" (non-mobile) station that communicates with non-fixed (mobile) radios. Example would be a dispatch radio (dispatch to car) that does not go through a repeater (simplex.) If it moves, it's not fixed or a base.

If I'm wrong someone feel free to correct me.

Last edited:

nd5y

I've searched this forum and I've searched the FCC and still can't find a definition for "fixed base station" as used all over the FCC regulations. They talk about a "small base station" and define that and then on and talk about fixed base stations.

Since the FCC doesn't define as far as I can find, you could say from their regs that it is station that operates over 5 watts and has an antenna over 20 feet because that's all I can find.

What radio service or frequency are you talking about? The rules and definitions are different for different services.

zz0468

QRT
Banned

That depends on the service. Since this is posted in an amateur radio forum, we'll assume that's what you mean, and the answer is no. It does not take a special permit. Your ham license authorizes you to establish a station where you want.

No.

The minute you declare it to be fixed. The definition of "fixed" is opposed by the definitions of "mobile", which is a station used while in motion, and "portable", which could be identical to "fixed", but at a more temporary location. "Fixed" means it's located at a specific location, and intended to stay there. "Fixed" could be your portable radio sitting on your desk at home, because that's where you like to use it. It can also mean your 200 foot tower in back of the separate outbuilding in the north 40 acres of your modest city lot. "Portable" would be taking your radio to work and using it in the break room.

The definitions leave plenty of room for imagination. They're meant to do that.

So, clarify what service you're wanting to discuss. None of that applies to amateur stations. If you need to know about non-amateur services, perhaps you should request that a moderator move this thread to an appropriate forum, since this one deals with amateur radio.

Last edited:

KB7MIB

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux i686; U; en-US) Gecko/20081217 Vision-Browser/8.1 301x200 LG VN530)

A "Small Base Station" is a GMRS term, and does not apply to the Amateur Radio Service. A "Small Base Station" allows you to use the 7 interstital frequencies shared with the FRS from a base station, hence the antenna height limitations on top of the...

KB7MIB

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux i686; U; en-US) Gecko/20081217 Vision-Browser/8.1 301x200 LG VN530)

ERP limitations that exist for those frequencies under the GMRS. A regular base station doesn't have antenna height limitations, but you can't use the FRS-shared interstital frequencies with that station.

Bazel

Actually the term fixed base station appears all over the FCC regulations for different frequencies and yes I am also interested in GMRS and FRS as well as Amateur Radio Frequencies. As far as I can tell a Fixed Base Station is allowed for GMRS, but these are FCC reg and are not written so you can find everything you need to do in one spot or even find it after a half hour of searching.

Thanks for the replies, at least I have an idea of the definition now and I understand perfectly the concept of unclear rule writing as I use to do grievance arbitrations on union contracts and quite often would beat government agencies on interpreting there own codes and rules.

Status
Not open for further replies.