FL Repeater Council hacked?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AI7PM

Premium Subscriber
This place never ceases to amaze me.

FLORIDA REPEATER COUNCIL, INC.

The Florida Repeater Council Web Site is currently offline.

Due to a recent intrusion and theft of FRC data from a development site we are reviewing the security of our
current web hosting facilities to assure that the actual FRC data is safe.

It is unfortunate that we must take this action but it appears that some Florida Hams, unhappy with the FRC,
hacked a portion of our sandbox site and stole and released to the public some of your information.

The information and identity of the hosts and domains involved in the theft have been submitted to
law enforcement as part of a criminal complaint.

There are some Hams that are currently bragging about the data breach, are they the guilty parties?
You will have to draw your own conclusion for now.

We hope to have the site back up before the Melbourne Hamfest.
|Welcome|

AI7PM

Premium Subscriber
FloriDUH, and the attitude and behaviors of so many of the hams.

Seems so many want to be in charge, in control, or calling the shots for the whole world according to their personal desire and ego needs, and no operational considerations. In my home county, the ARES is a continuing example of poor management, dysfunction, personal battles, club possessiveness, and childishness. This was all corrected for a short few years, but has recently descended back into the same old song and dance. They won't seriously practice drills, yet want to set up World Command at the EOC when the SHTF so plenty of fame and photos can be had and posted to Facebook. Want county issued ID, (to show off I believe) but never show up for serious volunteering. Mostly resistant to NIMS/ICS.

I never experienced it living in WA, UT, or TX. I haven't witnessed it anywhere else in my travels since being retired. I've been volunteering in many other states this year, and have yet to witness this non-sense in any of them. In fact, I've been seeing the just the opposite. Various great ham groups coming together to support an event, and doing a superb job of it. At one event, hams from multiple clubs and ARES, from three different states came together, and it went off without a hitch or personalty issue at all. Everything we hope to be in amateur radio, I saw happen.

My $0.02.

WX4JCW

Premium Subscriber

Seems so many want to be in charge, in control, or calling the shots for the whole world according to their personal desire and ego needs, and no operational considerations. In my home county, the ARES is a continuing example of poor management, dysfunction, personal battles, club possessiveness, and childishness. This was all corrected for a short few years, but has recently descended back into the same old song and dance. They won't seriously practice drills, yet want to set up World Command at the EOC when the SHTF so plenty of fame and photos can be had and posted to Facebook. Want county issued ID, (to show off I believe) but never show up for serious volunteering. Mostly resistant to NIMS/ICS.

I never experienced it living in WA, UT, or TX. I haven't witnessed it anywhere else in my travels since being retired. I've been volunteering in many other states this year, and have yet to witness this non-sense in any of them. In fact, I've been seeing the just the opposite. Various great ham groups coming together to support an event, and doing a superb job of it. At one event, hams from multiple clubs and ARES, from three different states came together, and it went off without a hitch or personalty issue at all. Everything we hope to be in amateur radio, I saw happen.

My $0.02.

i tend to agree about some of it, when i was Dispatching for RMA and OCFR i only saw Aeres/Races once during my whole time there

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
The amateur participation at the Chicago Marathon is a prime example of how amateurs can and should work together...

Amateur Radio Volunteers Turn Out En Masse to Support Chicago Marathon

Some of the 120 radio amateurs taking part in the event ended up walking as many as nine miles just within the park during their volunteer stints.
Operators came from four states and from cities as far away as Madison and Milwaukee, Wisconsin; Indianapolis, Indiana; Peoria, Illinois, and Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Twelve local ham radio clubs were represented.

My $0.02.

This sounds exactly like Miami Dade County!!

Like you said, they want the IDs, "toys", silly looking hats /shirts made solely for themselves.

I've seen and participated some of these events. You'll see the supposedly "cool" Hamsters wearing all these homemade ARES ids, lanyards and shirts. Some guys actually look presentable. All while the next hamster is looking like a slob. There is no uniformity. Most of these guys have money, good jobs. They can easily say... "Hey Let's all at least look good while working these events. I'll pay for the shirts, lanyards etc.. Let's all wear beige cargo shorts "... But nooooooo... You have hamsters that show up on sandals, dirty grimy t-shirts with bellys hanging out. Do you think I'm going to want them to help me with anything? Directions? Absolutely NOTTTT.

On top of that, You should see ALL the titles they put on the their Signature lines in emails. They put EVERY little thing you can think of. Ranging from Net Manager, host committee member, all the way down to VE. It's ridiculous. Might as well include shoe size, IQ, and waist size to it. Lol

Last edited:

The amateur participation at the Chicago Marathon is a prime example of how amateurs can and should work together...

The New York City Marathon was another. "Back in the day," a fellow named Steve Mendelsohn (W2ML-SK) brought amateur radio into the event in a big way (I participated in several through the 80s), and proved that hams were indispensable to the Roadrunners Club. That fell away for a while after Steve's passing, but now the DMR ham folks are getting involved.

Ironically, Steve Mendelsohn was also a member of the NYC area TriState Amateur Repeater Council (TSARC), which was also a very, very contentious matter in the NYC, NJ, CT area in the late 80s/early 90s, until its demise and backfill by another coordination group.

Perhaps not so ironic that many people from that part of the country end up moving to Florida.

Status
Not open for further replies.