• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

    We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

    If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

Fleetnet Site 006 (Ottawa)

Status
Not open for further replies.

IdleMonitor

Member
Joined
Feb 17, 2005
Messages
2,377
Location
The Ottawa Valley - Eastern Ontario
Why was the frequency of 142.890 taken out of the lineup here?
http://www.radioreference.com/modules.php?name=RR&sid=2560

I was listening to the various sites over the weekend and that frequency is still being used for fleetnet. Now mind you I wasn't able to actually hear the Ottawa site, but I was able to copy comm's on 142.890. Strange I couldn't hear other frequencies associated to the site yet I could hear this frequency.

Is it possible that they could've moved this frequency to Site 007 (Kinburn)?
 

DaveH

Member
Joined
Jul 29, 2001
Messages
3,071
Location
Ottawa, Ont.
IdleMonitor said:
Why was the frequency of 142.890 taken out of the lineup here?
http://www.radioreference.com/modules.php?name=RR&sid=2560

I was listening to the various sites over the weekend and that frequency is still being used for fleetnet. Now mind you I wasn't able to actually hear the Ottawa site, but I was able to copy comm's on 142.890. Strange I couldn't hear other frequencies associated to the site yet I could hear this frequency.

Is it possible that they could've moved this frequency to Site 007 (Kinburn)?
142.8900 was taken off because it is no longer in the channel assignment for
Site 6, and has not been for several months. Its input frequency 138.8700 has
been reassigned, paired with another output channel at that site.

I listened to 142.8900 several days ago for several hours and heard nothing.
Someone had reported conventional MOH activity on it just after MOH switched
over. It has not moved to Kinburn (7). If you are hearing something, it's coming
from some other site; 142.8900 is used at Denbigh.

Dave
 

IdleMonitor

Member
Joined
Feb 17, 2005
Messages
2,377
Location
The Ottawa Valley - Eastern Ontario
Ok, gotchya on that Dave. I forgot that frequency is used on the Denbigh site, and yup, that's more than likely what I was hearing because I was in range of that tower.

However, on the EasternOntarioScanning Yahoo Group, there's been reports that it was still being used in and around Ottawa. And that person still had that frequency programmed in and was showing activity.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/EasternOntarioScanning/message/8408

DaveH said:
142.8900 was taken off because it is no longer in the channel assignment for
Site 6, and has not been for several months. Its input frequency 138.8700 has
been reassigned, paired with another output channel at that site.

I listened to 142.8900 several days ago for several hours and heard nothing.
Someone had reported conventional MOH activity on it just after MOH switched
over. It has not moved to Kinburn (7). If you are hearing something, it's coming
from some other site; 142.8900 is used at Denbigh.

Dave
 

DaveH

Member
Joined
Jul 29, 2001
Messages
3,071
Location
Ottawa, Ont.
IdleMonitor said:
However, on the EasternOntarioScanning Yahoo Group, there's been reports that it was still being used in and around Ottawa. And that person still had that frequency programmed in and was showing activity.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/EasternOntarioScanning/message/8408
Someone saying they "heard something" on a frequency but little else is not much
to go on. It's not part of the Site 6 channel lineup anymore, so it could be enhanced
propogation, something from another site, interference etc. Incidentally, I do not
hear the 1s carrier once a minute on 142.8900 which is typical of voice channels.
142.245 was not being used for awhile but the blip was still there, and it came
back. I don't expect the other one to.

I hear CC's on 141.9200 and 143.0800 on my PRO-2004 but have gotten used
to the fact that they are spurious responses typical of that receiver. When some-
one discovers a receiver that's totally free from interference, let me know, I'll
be the first in line to get one. :) You'd swear some folks have them already
though.


Dave
 

IdleMonitor

Member
Joined
Feb 17, 2005
Messages
2,377
Location
The Ottawa Valley - Eastern Ontario
Well, I don't know what to say Dave. You're right I'm wrong must be about the only thing though.........

I don't know why you don't share your thoughts with the one's in EOS yahoogroup, they don't bite, and it might be nice to see someone with a bit of knowledge.

Ahh well, I guess we'll have to just go with what you say as I see in many other posts.......

It's too bad I couldn't find someone a bit more helpful though.

And it's not so much as someone saying they "heard something" but perhaps actually "seeing" the frequency pop up in there.


DaveH said:
Someone saying they "heard something" on a frequency but little else is not much
to go on. It's not part of the Site 6 channel lineup anymore, so it could be enhanced
propogation, something from another site, interference etc. Incidentally, I do not
hear the 1s carrier once a minute on 142.8900 which is typical of voice channels.
142.245 was not being used for awhile but the blip was still there, and it came
back. I don't expect the other one to.

I hear CC's on 141.9200 and 143.0800 on my PRO-2004 but have gotten used
to the fact that they are spurious responses typical of that receiver. When some-
one discovers a receiver that's totally free from interference, let me know, I'll
be the first in line to get one. :) You'd swear some folks have them already
though.


Dave
 

DaveH

Member
Joined
Jul 29, 2001
Messages
3,071
Location
Ottawa, Ont.
Nobody is obliged to take my word for it, however, so far no info from
any other source has been offered up. I've said essentially what I know
and what are the likely possibilities.

Regarding the Ottawa Yahoo group (since you are asking), I gave up on
it years ago. Seems it's dominated by about 1% of its members chatting
about "streaming" (which doesn't interest me) and a whole lot of off-topic
(in my opinion) posts. There are a few good people there, but a big vacuum
in the way of serious frequency and talkgroup-finding (as Mike-O. says,
people have forgotten the "search" function on their scanners). You know
where to find me, which is... not there.

Dave
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top