FlightRadar24.com question

Status
Not open for further replies.

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BB10; Kbd) AppleWebKit/537.10+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/10.1.0.1483 Mobile Safari/537.10+)

Hello. I am a novice at comprehending aircraft although it was one of the first things I listened to when I got my first multi-band radio in 1979.

I use flightradar24.com. I watched a plane take off from an airport near Trenton Ontario, perhaps Kingston or Picton.

When it first showed up on the screen it was labeled "blocked." There is no delay on it and after a few minutes it was then labeled "Skyview Regional Airlines. No squawk no destination posted.

It is a De Haviland DHC-8,
8-402Q. Registration CFSRY. The radar is T-MLAT2.

My hunch is that this is a Canadian Forces plane, Trenton does have a base. Perhaps it explains the "blocked status?"

I hope I am not breaking any "discrete is elite" rules here mentioning possible MilAir planes.

For all I know it could be a politician or a criminal flying somewhere as I track it, the area does have a good deal of jails.

Edit: As I was typing this out the plane vanished off the screen. I did the playback feature and saw it disappear before my eyes.

Thank You

Eric

Last edited:

K5MPH

Brownsville Texas,On The Border By The Sea.
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Sometime milair is blocked so you they can't be tracked I see it all the time.......

ATCTech

There are multiple web sites (airframes.org for example) where you can look up civilian registrations to see the latest registered owner/operator.

CFSRY is a DHC8 of Sky Regional, an Air Canada feeder. It's in no way a secret military flight.

As for watching online, you have two things to consider. First, the ADS-B receivers providing the target could be at some distance from the aircraft. What was the altitude when you first saw it on your screen? The Blocked status was probably the default tag used when the ICAO code or flight number had not yet been matched up by FR24. (Blocked can also mean the registered operator has requested the identification of his aircraft not be displayed, a trend becoming more and more common because of ADS-B data sharing online via web sites like Flightaware and FR24. Expect much more of that in the future)

FYI, Sky Regional is not using ADS-B that I've seen so far, in the DHC8s, CRJs or EMB175s. The target in question was being tracked by it's transponder ICAO code and multiple ADS-B sources creating a synthetic MLAT location rather than the position of the aircraft being provided by the aircraft itself, as it would with ADS-B equipment on board.

If it disappeared off the screen it means there was a lack of coverage to calculate a position using MLAT due to distance and altitude. Do you have "Show FAA data" selected on or off on your FR24 options? If it's off, you're relying solely on ADS-B feeders to provide near real-time data to FR24. FAA data is provided from ATC radar data (not just ADS-B, true radar returns from US and Canadian radars here in North America) which is packaged and sold by the FAA. It's intentionally delayed about 5 minutes but can provide coverage where there is no hobbyist ADS-B receiver feeding FR24.

Last, did a flight number appear when it changed from BLOCKED? If so, look it up on Flightaware. It will give you the origin and destination if known.

If you'd like to read a bit nore on the concept of MLAT, have a look here:

http://www.multilateration.com/surveillance/multilateration.html

Last edited:

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Sometime milair is blocked so you they can't be tracked I see it all the time.......

May I ask how you see Milair stuff? Its mean to say you can do something if you arent going to share, lol.

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
There are multiple web sites (airframes.org for example) where you can look up civilian registrations to see the latest registered owner/operator.

CFSRY is a DHC8 of Sky Regional, an Air Canada feeder. It's in no way a secret military flight.

As for watching online, you have two things to consider. First, the ADS-B receivers providing the target could be at some distance from the aircraft. What was the altitude when you first saw it on your screen? The Blocked status was probably the default tag used when the ICAO code or flight number had not yet been matched up by FR24. (Blocked can also mean the registered operator has requested the identification of his aircraft not be displayed, a trend becoming more and more common because of ADS-B data sharing online via web sites like Flightaware and FR24. Expect much more of that in the future)

FYI, Sky Regional is not using ADS-B that I've seen so far, in the DHC8s, CRJs or EMB175s. The target in question was being tracked by it's transponder ICAO code and multiple ADS-B sources creating a synthetic MLAT location rather than the position of the aircraft being provided by the aircraft itself, as it would with ADS-B equipment on board.

If it disappeared off the screen it means there was a lack of coverage to calculate a position using MLAT due to distance and altitude. Do you have "Show FAA data" selected on or off on your FR24 options? If it's off, you're relying solely on ADS-B feeders to provide near real-time data to FR24. FAA data is provided from ATC radar data (not just ADS-B, true radar returns from US and Canadian radars here in North America) which is packaged and sold by the FAA. It's intentionally delayed about 5 minutes but can provide coverage where there is no hobbyist ADS-B receiver feeding FR24.

Last, did a flight number appear when it changed from BLOCKED? If so, look it up on Flightaware. It will give you the origin and destination if known.

If you'd like to read a bit nore on the concept of MLAT, have a look here:

Multilateration (MLAT)

Hello ATC:

The plane was heading W/SW from the Bay of Quinte area and headed out to the lake, following the same track as the Porter air planes coming in from Montreal. It then suddenly headed N/NW right around Northumberland County and headed north of the 401, I figured it was headed to P-Boro, T.Bay, SS Marie, etc. It was flying at 12,000 ft at a speed of 170-200 KN.

My preference is to check out the action along the tracks, i.e.watching planes come in from the states thru Haldimand Co, the Track that follows the Niagara River and the one that is slightly west of that.

I prefer to monitor the above and CYHM and Porter flights to TCC, I dont focus much on PIA from that direction, its crazy busy.a goodly number of maps and can sort of read the charts and can have a scanner designated solely for aircraft.
I understand that there are a great deal of air traffic flying in my area, from regional airports, i.e Burlington and can see them from my apartment. I have learned from people on here and from a few friends about how some planes dont use radar because they are flying too low. It's a shame, I would love to see all the planes fly along the skyway, the lake, crossing Hwy 6 and mention of a gravel pit both flying in and out of Burlington Air Park.

Thank you for your help and information. Do you work at an airport (ATC Tech???)?

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BB10; Kbd) AppleWebKit/537.10+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/10.1.0.1483 Mobile Safari/537.10+)

And now All I gotta do is find a feed for Toronto Centre Hi altitude.

None on this side and nadda on LiveAtC. There used to be a feed a few years ago.

I can hear Hamilton Munro CYHM and Burlington AirPark, both sides of the conversation here in West Burlington.

I used to work in Rexdale and I was able to hear the planes and ATC's as far west as Oakville.

I used to live in Toronto at Marlee and Eg, Facing WSW. When the winds were the same direction coming in it was remarkable and beautiful to watch the planes inbound to PIA, one after another, nonstop. Even nicer at night.

Status
Not open for further replies.