FlightRadar24

Status
Not open for further replies.

kf5bti

Anyone providing data for the FlightRadar24 website? I applied for one of their receiver units in which they approved but I am starting to question whether I really want to host it. I'm not extremely comfortable allowing just anyone to connect to my network. I could always create a separate network for their system to connect to but is it really worth the trouble.

D

DaveNF2G

I thought the purpose of those receivers was to feed data to Flightradar 24's server, not for people to connect to each individual receiving site.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Dave is correct. The fr24 box establishes a connection to their server only.

IIRC, there's another port which you can connect to locally but unless you allow it through your firewall, nobody else can connect to it.

ve3zo

I have been hosting one for over a year with no issues regarding my network.

Like Mike mentioned..the box only connects to their server...you can access it to see the radarview through your network. but that's all.

kf5bti

Guess I didn't phrase that correctly, I understand you are only providing data to their servers but am just concerned about what else flightradar could potentially see on my network if they decided to.

pilotman6012

The only information they are interested in is what comes from their receiver and if it should fail for some reason,they will send a e-mail telliing you they have lost the feed and help you figure itout and get it going again.Correct only you can set it up to see local aircraft on your computer,you and flightradar are partners.They are only interested in the flight data.

wa1nic

Premium Subscriber
I applied to host one.

My location is right between two relatively significant airports, each about 5 miles from me, and the area seems to lack a node so I figured I would get approved for sure.

I got nothing.

Is there a trick to getting approved?

pilotman6012

Basically it just depends on the amount of other users in the area,if they have good coverage,than they will let you know they have enough already otherwise,it is just hit or miss.Some of the companies have certain airport preferences,such as larger airports with more traffic.

kf5bti

I'm not aware of any tricks to getting approved, I didn't think I would be approved because they seem to have good coverage in my area already. I just filled out the forms and uploaded the pictures they requested of my proposed antenna location. I'm near the Memphis international airport and have a 30' mast that I can install an antenna for their receiver. They are providing all equipment for the install including the antenna.

K5MPH

Brownsville Texas,On The Border By The Sea.
I have been hosting one for 5 years now with no problems what so ever,and getting approved for one is all about location,they also like when you live close to an air port so traffic can be seen on the ground that what i was told in an email from them one time but remember you if you host the data you can only upload to them and no one else.....

CC1309

Been hosting a box for fr24 for 2 years now with no issues. It just sits in the corner of the shack blinking away. Would be nice to get more in the area for MLATs and more low level stuff (hint, hint to anyone in West Texas or Eastern New Mexico).

WatnNY

Database Admin
Database Admin
I was turned down for one of their receivers 8-( They basically told me they were concentrating on other areas right now.....

Mike

pilotman6012

I am surprised at that Knoxville is a very busy,busy airport,but if they do not maybe somebody else does.That is where those companies lose somebody is willing to feed an area,but NO Thank You.

WatnNY

Database Admin
Database Admin
I am surprised at that Knoxville is a very busy,busy airport,but if they do not maybe somebody else does.That is where those companies lose somebody is willing to feed an area,but NO Thank You.

I was a little surprised myself, considering FlightAware always shows more planes in the area than FlightRadar24 - which is why I applied to host a feed. Oh well, their loss.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.