• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

Florida Senate rejects religious license plate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sen. Ronda Storms, R-Valrico (FL), tried to amend onto another bill a plate with the words “I Believe”
and a large cross in front of a stained-glass, church-like window. Proceeds from the plate would go to support faith-based education, she said.

story & pic:
http://www.tampabays10.com/news/local/article.aspx?storyid=79027

Fortunately, wiser legislators prevailed forseeing endless court battles
and a draining of the state's resources to fight them.
If they'd approved it, they would have opened a can of worms.

What would have been next? Atheist plates? Islam plates? Jewish plates?
They would have had to offer them all...

mikepdx said:
What would have been next? Atheist plates? Islam plates? Jewish plates?
They would have had to offer them all...
Why not? The purpose of those things is to make money for the government by charging a premium. They government makes money off of gambling and prostitution, so why not vanity plates? I mean really, who cares what they say on them? Seriously, what is better for for the state; people putting two-dollar bumper stickers on their cars, or paying fifty-bucks for special licence plates? Any lawmaker who votes against that is an idiot who is letting their religion -- or lack of religion -- get in the way of good government. Ironic, isn't it?

af5rn said:
The purpose of those things is to make money...I mean really, who cares what they say on them?
I don't.

I eagerly await my state offering FU plates with a flying middle finger graphic.
I'll be the first to buy FU0001

ibagli

Premium Subscriber
I'm also surprised people would consider putting religious imagery on something that gets spattered with mud, rain, and salt. That doesn't seem very respectful. Although Florida doesn't get much of the latter.

af5rn said:
Seriously, what is better for for the state; people putting two-dollar bumper stickers on their cars, or paying fifty-bucks for special licence plates?
The money wouldn't go to the state, it would go to "faith-based education." That really just means the people who go around trying to tell people that if we put biblical verses in public schools, then there will be less violence because the kids will be scared ****less of going to hell. (Okay, that's not how they say it, but that's what they mean.)

Last edited:
ibagli said:
The money wouldn't go to the state, it would go to "faith-based education."
Only a percentage of it. It's like licensing your name to be used to sell products. The state utilises the logo/name of certain groups on licence plates because they know it will attract people to spend premium money for them. In return, the state gets extra income (after all, you already bought one set of plates to begin with, so now you're paying for a second that you really don't need), and the group basically gets royalties. You'd have to be pretty naive to think that the state does these just out of the kindness of their heart.

I'm not religious in the least. But I can't think of any legitimate reason to reject this group while other groups of similarly dubious value are allowed to have their own plates. Either be fair about it, or don't do it at all.

Just my 2 cents worth...

As a Florida resident I fully support the specialty license plate program. Contrary to the beliefs of the uninformed, the additional fee attached does go directly to the charity associated with the theme of the tag. I've lived in many states and have traveled the world extensively and I must say that I feel the state of Florida has it's act together in regard to vehicle license plates, (only a rear tag is required), and vehicle safety inspections, (abolished years ago). In addition the tag you pay for at the tax office is your tag and transfers when you buy another vehicle. Every 5 years you are issued a new tag at no additional fee.
It appears to me that the real reason the "I Believe" tag failed approval for manufactor and issue is the prevailing idiocy of "political correctness" that has infested our country and our government. Lighten up people it's just a license plate, not some dastardly dead to line the pockets of our ELECTED officials with ill gotten gain...

Take a look at the link below I'll bet many of you wish your state had tags that enhance the appearance of your vehicle while at the same time aid worthy endeavors

http://www.flhsmv.gov/dmv/specialtytags/

ibagli

Premium Subscriber
Taloniilm said:
It appears to me that the real reason the "I Believe" tag failed approval for manufactor and issue is the prevailing idiocy of "political correctness" that has infested our country and our government.
Not everyone wants government facilities used to produce overtly religious products used to fund controversial programs. To me, it's just correct that the government doesn't produce license plates specifically for a certain type of Christian who likes to shove their religion in everyone's face using machines everyone's money paid for. If people want crosses on their car, they can buy a sticker from the people the plates would fund.

Taloniilm said:
Take a look at the link below I'll bet many of you wish your state had tags that enhance the appearance of your vehicle while at the same time aid worthy endeavors
I would cut most of them, especially the ones that are solely used to express a political view, like the "choose life" and "family values" (which is now a political statement since it has been hijacked by the "values voter" loons recently).

Edit: It appears the Florida legislature has a boatload of time to spend on dumb stuff like this, anyways.

http://www.reuters.com/article/oddlyEnoughNews/idUSN4O32105020080425

Last edited:
Taloniilm said:
Contrary to the beliefs of the uninformed, the additional fee attached does go directly to the charity associated with the theme of the tag.
All of it? Every cent? The state is giving those plates away for free? Can you point me to a state sponsored link that confirms this? I'd be willing to bet that you are mistaken about this.

I don't know if you were replying specifically to me, but I never implied that it was lining the pockets of politicians. I simply said that, by selling you a set of special plates when you already own a set of plates for the same vehicle makes extra money for the state treasury. If they aren't, they should be. Otherwise, that's pretty irresponsible fiscal management, which is not surprising in Floridia.

I've lived in many states and have traveled the world extensively and I must say that I feel the state of Florida has it's act together in regard to vehicle license plates, (only a rear tag is required), and vehicle safety inspections, (abolished years ago). In addition the tag you pay for at the tax office is your tag and transfers when you buy another vehicle. Every 5 years you are issued a new tag at no additional fee.
Indeed. It does sound like they have their act together in those respects. The reason so many states maintain a requirement for front licence plates now is because the cops want them as targets for their laser guns. Consequently, those states spend twice as much on plate production just to increase speeding ticket revenue. Real smart, lol.

It appears to me that the real reason the "I Believe" tag failed approval for manufactor and issue is the prevailing idiocy of "political correctness" that has infested our country and our government. <snip>

Agreed. That was pretty much my point too. But it's more than simple political correctness. It's hatred.

While I support the program there are several tags that I don't particularly care for.

Typically it's a lack of maturity, intelligence or both that motivate many to make brash statements before they fully understand a subject particularly one that has no bearing or impact on them.

I can envision an individual's vehicle being vandalized based on a tag, (or other ornament) simply because another found it offensive... shining example of our society today

ibagli

Premium Subscriber
af5rn said:
Agreed. That was pretty much my point too. But it's more than simple political correctness. It's hatred.
How is it "hatred" not to want the government to act as a collection plate for religious organizations? I guess I "hate," since I think it's indefensible for a government to issue special plates for one specific religion and to use state-owned machinery to produce religious icons. (And that goes for any faith or lack thereof. I don't think there should be Christian plates, Jewish plates, Muslim plates, or atheist plates.) People who want religious imagery on their car can buy it. Please don't project it on all of the people, however.

Last edited:
The way it works is ... you pay the regular fee for a regular tag... if you want a specialty or vanity tag then you pay the additional fee, (fee amonunt varies, but usually $25). That additional fee goes to the designated fund.

Years ago many drivers in the state were being taken advantage of by garages and mechanics that claimed unecessary or highly inflated repair costs were required in order to pass the vehicle safety inspection ... soultion to the problem... dump it. Law enforcement does a very good job of keeping the "rolling wrecks" off the roads...
Another needless bureaucracy elimentated

ibagli

Premium Subscriber
So the state makes these plates and absorbs all of the extra production costs, diverting all extra funds collected to the designated fund?

ibagli said:
How is it "hatred" not to want the government to act as a collection plate for religious organizations?
If you are specifically singling out religious organisations for your embargo, while not opposing the same thing for other causes that you personally support, then hatred would very much be suspect. After all, what is "religion" anyhow? It's just a belief. A theory. It's all in your head. Or not. I'd be more inclined to raise a stink to oppose something that actually exists in a real form than somebody's simple fairy tale beliefs.

What if somebody opposes NAACP plates? Would you suspect that that might be related to hatred?

It was probably a good idea for the "good idea-bad possible results" plate to be rejected. Recall what happend when the license to carry law was passed and the crooks targeted rental cars. I can see similar scenario happening here. There are some anti-religioius (of any, or specific, faiths) nut jobs out there. so by not having the plates, Florida citizens are protected, and the state does not have any liability. So, if one wished to have a "faith-based identifier" there are plenty of bumper stickers and front plates Floridians can purchase at stores all across the state.

Well, that't my 3 cents worth.

Zaratsu

Premium Subscriber
nothing is stopping you from decorating your car with religious bumper-stickers or other paraphanelia and no one is stopping you from donating to any religion or order that you please.

I dont care who the plates offend, its not about offence. I am offended by the government daily, but I dont hold it against them. There is just no reason that these messeges belong on a lic plate. Now, I have zero problem with anyone getting a vanity plate that expresses their religious beliefs and convictions. And if the state got in the way of allowing someone a JEZUS1 plate, I would be hopping mad.

Status
Not open for further replies.