• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

Flying my new RC airplane

I thought I would share another hobby of mine...building and flying RC airplanes, helicopters and drones. Below is a video I shot last Saturday flying my new Flex Innovations RV-8. This was my second flight on the RV-8; therefore, my flying was somewhat tame as I was still becoming accustomed to its flight characteristics. If you are interested, specs are below.

Manufacturer - Flex Innovations
Model - RV-8
Wing Span - 76 inches
Length - 66 inches
Flying Weight - 10 lbs.
Motor - Potenza 70 500kV
Electronic Speed Controller - ZTW 100A
Propeller - 17.5 inch x 7 Pitch
Battery - Admiral 22.2v (6S) 5000mAh Lithium Polymer
Maximum Burst Motor Current - 120 Amps
Maximum Power: 2,500 watts

Last edited:
It seems as you've got the flight characteristics down. I used to dabble with that hobby years ago. (1970's) Mainly, I liked playing with the engines. I'm curious, are engines still used or has everyone gone to electric motors?

Many are using electric motors. Engines are still being used by some; however, motor and lithium polymer battery technologies have advanced rapidly over the past few years. I estimate that 75% of the RC aircraft are electric powered in my local flying club. Also, electric technology isn't just limited to smaller RC airplanes as it was a few years ago. Today, there are electric setups available for even large RC airplanes. The below video is an example of this. This airplane would normally be equipped with a 50 or 60cc gasoline engine. As you can see, there are no performance limitations with electric power. You hit the throttle and you have instant torque, unlike engine setups. Also, 7500 watts of power is equivalent to a little more than 10 horsepower, which is crazy power.

Last edited:
Very impressive. I didn't realize they were sporting that much horsepower. Oh, and I've never seen the hovering maneuver (right before the 2 minutes mark) Pretty cool.

A new video of my first flights with my new FMS Fox electric powered sailplane. These first flights are really for becoming accustomed to the flight characteristics. Also, you will hear quite a bit of conversation between me and my friend regarding possible center of gravity issues with the sailplane. I've flown just about every type of RC airplane available, but this is my first sailplane. The sailplanes are definitely different, especially when landing, which is performed with no power and requires much more thinking and planning ahead. Obviously, the glide distance of sailplanes is much greater versus other types of RC airplanes, which also creates challenges during landing even with flaps deployed.

Last edited: