FM antenna suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

NC1

That TV antenna has too many elements out of band for FM radio, it would perform absolutely horrible.

You want something about 1/2 wavelength of the FM band, which would be just under 5 feet. Without knowing your situation as far as where you need to install it goes, or your location, there is little else I can advise.

Get one that is dedicated to FM radio, not a multi-purpose unit. Maybe try this?
https://www.summitsource.com/Winega...erial-75-Ohm-With-50-FT-Coax-Cable-P7255.aspx

Last edited:

lolbananalol2

Premium Subscriber
That TV antenna has too many elements out of band for FM radio, it would perform absolutely horrible.

You want something about 1/2 wavelength of the FM band, which would be just under 5 feet. Without knowing your situation as far as where you need to install it goes, or your location, there is little else I can advise.

Get one that is dedicated to FM radio, not a multi-purpose unit. Maybe try this?
https://www.summitsource.com/Winega...erial-75-Ohm-With-50-FT-Coax-Cable-P7255.aspx

Thanks.
I am in located in Newcastle Australia. I am looking for something that can go outside somewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
That Wineguard yagi is listed as out of stock...

What does the FM band cover in Australia? I know that we in the US use 88-108 Mhz, but in much of the rest of the world, I believe it's 76-90 Mhz. Unless it says that it specifically goes down to 76 Mhz in coverage, be careful to keep that in mind. I don't know that the yagi listed goes down that low.

Mike.

lolbananalol2

Premium Subscriber
That Wineguard yagi is listed as out of stock...

What does the FM band cover in Australia? I know that we in the US use 88-108 Mhz, but in much of the rest of the world, I believe it's 76-90 Mhz. Unless it says that it specifically goes down to 76 Mhz in coverage, be careful to keep that in mind. I don't know that the yagi listed goes down that low.

Mike.

It is 87.5 to 108 MHz here.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
It is 87.5 to 108 MHz here.

Which will work OK, but not quite as well as a properly tuned antenna, assuming my guess about Aus FM frequencies is correct.

I would touch base with FM DXing folks in your neck of the woods. 2 places I would check would be the NZ Radio DX League and, of course, the WorldWide TV FM DXing Association, which specializes in TV/FM DXing. Either is likely to have better antenna distributors that cater to your part of the world

radiodx.com | DXing Kiwi Style

Worldwide TV-FM DX Association

Mike

NC1

That Wineguard yagi is listed as out of stock...Mike.

I found this one, it's comparable to the Wineguard 6065. They show a side-by-side comparison chart where the test indicates the 6065 FM antenna somewhat outperformed the FM 2500HD FM antenna, but not by much.

FM 2500HD Long Range outdoor FM Radio Antenna

I wonder how it would perform with a decent FM amplifier :)

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Again, this antenna is likely tuned for the US, not Australian, market. It would work OK going out of band, but certainly not as good as one tuned for the Australian FM band...Mike

NC1

Again, this antenna is likely tuned for the US, not Australian, market. It would work OK going out of band, but certainly not as good as one tuned for the Australian FM band...Mike

He posted their FM Band is 87.5 to 108 in case you missed it.

It's the same as here and the antenna will work excellent which is why I suggested it.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
OK fine. I would try to find an Australian dealer, though. I can see the shipping charges and customs fees would likely be horrible to ship from the States

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.