FM Pirate in Winston Salem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Larry27

Premium Subscriber
I picked this one up on 101.7 MHz on my car radio at 2:40 this afternoon in the Hanes Mall area.

They ID’d as “Free Radio Winston.” They were playing music and the “mad as hell” monolog from “Network.”

The station was full quieting on Silas Creek Parkway from Stratford Road to Main Street. The audio was actually better than the commercial stations.

The signal began to fall off as I went south on Main, but it were still barely audible at the Forsyth / Davidson county line.

kd8x

I picked this one up on 101.7 MHz on my car radio at 2:40 this afternoon in the Hanes Mall area.

They ID’d as “Free Radio Winston.” They were playing music and the “mad as hell” monolog from “Network.”

The station was full quieting on Silas Creek Parkway from Stratford Road to Main Street. The audio was actually better than the commercial stations.

The signal began to fall off as I went south on Main, but it were still barely audible at the Forsyth / Davidson county line.

I've noticed a lot of Christmas light show homes now transmitting on FM to the music. 101.7 is one of those frequencies. The ones I've heard have about a mile range...

KG4KHQ

Premium Subscriber
Still there

I just traveled from the area of Stratford Rd and Jonestown Rd to down in Davidson County below Wallburg. I was picking it up as soon as I got into the car. The signal got stronger as I got to around Stratford and I-40 and stayed that way to past US 52 on I-40. Still had it with some breakup until about the Wilco station on Thomasville Rd then I was getting it partially on hilltops going down NC 109. I finally lost it completely past Gumtree Rd.

While I was getting it on the FM radio in the car, I had it punched into my 396XT with the antenna taken it off to see if I could get a better idea of the location of the transmitter but it never broke squelch on the scanner. If I had to make a guess, I would say the transmitter is north of I-40 and west of US 52 or at least west of US 52. I have to work the next couple of nights but maybe I can try again during the middle of the week. Kind of an interesting way to play radio.

RadioFreakMB

Hi all,

I'm new here, just found the board by searching for the mysterious 101.7. Anyway, I've heard this in two different locations recently. One was in FoTech's parking lot this morning, the other was around the Liberty Street/Akron Drive area earlier this week. I have no idea if they are the same station or two different ones. Has anyone found out anymore in the past few months?

NC4AB

Premium Subscriber
Listened to Free Radio Winston several times today, signal was strong in the downtown area, as I was travelling back and forth on US52 it dropped off north of Akron Drive and south of Clemmonsville Road.

They IDed as free winston radio, googled it and came up with their website, nicely done and they also stream on the web. They claim to be broadcasting from the ModBar on 4th Street.

hobotek

I've noticed a lot of Christmas light show homes now transmitting on FM to the music. 101.7 is one of those frequencies. The ones I've heard have about a mile range...

That must be freq. they use at drive-in movies (we still have a couple) to broadcast the audio on.

Status
Not open for further replies.